Should date rape crimes be punishable by life in prison?

• Yes, they should be.

I don't know what can possibly be more horrifying than a person being drugged and then raped. Is the crime any less severe, because the person who got raped was only semi-conscious? I don't think so. Rape is one of the most disgusting acts an individual can commit. No pity for rapists.

• It is rape.

Yes, date rape crimes should be punishable by life in prison, because it is rape, plain and simple. In any event, date rape is a crime of opportunity. It is worse that the person took advantage of someone that trusted them, rather than just a random crime. The person deserves to pay with their life.

• Let them live in the community with scorn.

While rape is a heinous crime and act of aggression, it should not be punishable by life in prison. However, I am currently in favor of a lifetime placement on the community sex offender registry. I'd have no problem with the community knowing what they did, and victimizing them they way they did their date.

• Punishment by death makes any scale measuring the severity of the crime obsolete.

Regardless how how disgusting some people may consider date rape, a feeling of disgust is not a sufficient reason to punish date rape by death. Using feelings of disgust alone as a means to justify punishment by death commits the fallacy of not taking things into totality and ignoring all other facts that would lead to a different conclusion.

1. Some date rape crimes are not that serious and may not even be considered rape. Punishing date rape by death makes any measurement of the severity of the rape, if it is even considered rape pointless.

2. Death gives offenders no chance of rehabilitating themselves in the future.

3. Many times the accused are not guilty. Women make up lies all the time to get revenge.

When we take things into totality, all the arguments and facts above combined with disgust then we have a real accurate idea of whether the death penalty should be used to punish date rapists.

And the answer is no.

• No, it shouldn't

I don't think it should be punished by life in prison, there are so many kinds of rape,but it is bad. The people that convict these crimes should be put away for at least 20 years,but life is too expensive for them in prison. They have to keep prisons open for murderers,but they are just as bad.

• It should be punished severely but life is a little extreme.

Yes rape is a horrible crime but date rape cases are often exaggerated by the person who is claiming to have been raped. Maybe they are angry with their lover and want to get revenge, so they claim date rape. I understand we have process of law to eliminate false accusations but I do not believe it is perfect and I do not believe it is extreme enough to sentence someone to die in prison. Rather a flexible sentence such as 5 years to life, depending on the severity and details of the case.