Should denial of service to transgender individuals (in any scenario) be legally limited?

Asked by: SirSuspect
  • It's unethical and unreasonable to do so.

Even in the rise of LGBT acceptance throughout the world, it seems that the transgender community still gets it especially rough in today's world. I often hear people expressing fear and misunderstanding towards transgender individuals, a notable case being that of Lila Perry, who was forced to drop out of her high school gym class when fellow students and parents began petitioning against her use of the girls' locker room.

There are a lot of people that believe that transgender people are uncertain or confused about their gender or sexuality, and think that they should be designated to gender-neutral facilities. It isn't that simple, though. The truth is, most transgender individuals aren't confused; in fact they're certain about their gender. A study from the Oxford Journals concerning the structural connectivity networks in the brains of transgender people has found that there is "closer resemblance between transgender people and control subjects with the same gender identity than to those sharing their biological sex." This essentially means that transgendered people know what gender they are, but it simply doesn't match their assigned sex.

When undergoing transition, a transgender individual goes under an immense amount of social anxiety, physical pain, and mental conflict. Regardless if there are people petitioning for the denial of a service, they still are put under a huge amount of social pressure when going out, for they don't want to be seen as different or taboo in the eyes of the public. Denying service or compromising services from transgendered people do not help in this regard.

"Bathroom access for transgender teen divides Missouri town"
    http://www.Cnn.Com/2015/09/03/living/missouri-transgender-teen-feat/

"Structural Connectivity Networks of Transgender People"
    http://cercor.Oxfordjournals.Org/content/early/2014/09/12/cercor.Bhu194.Full

• It absolutely should.

Denial of service to any human being should be legally limited. Regardless of whether or not you personally believe that transgenderism is a "mental illness" or that these people are "disgusting", that is not grounds for taking away another human's right to eat, shop, enjoy recreational activities, or even use the restroom.

"All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."
    -14th Amendment of the US Constitution

• It absolutely should.

-14th Amendment of the US Constitution

• It absolutely should.

-14th Amendment of the US Constitution

• Yes and no.

If they transition completely into the gender they feel right in, they should be allowed in that gender's designated locker room and bathroom. That is of my opinion. As long as they are physically a male, they should go to the male's bathroom, as long as they are physically female, they should go to that one. Of course, that isn't actually stopping anyone from not going where they aren't supposed to be, but that is what I think. Denying them service, for instance like a public college facility, or something of the sort, then yes, legally limited. It should be illegal to do so. Pubic instances.

When it gets to private places, I would say they have the right to accept or deny service to anyone. This would be no, as it would be in many circumstances.

• No. It's ok to be transgender, but it isn't ok to force others to be fine with it.

If someone wants to be transgender, that's their choice. I think it's a little bit strange personally, but to each their own. However, we have a problem when people who aren't female are using a locker room MEANT FOR FEMALES. Experiencing this stalking behavior would be incredibly scary. You have no right to tell someone that they can't complain when their privacy is being invaded.

At least it's not as bad as when trans gendered people lie about their biological sex to get a date, but it's still messed up.

• It's not ok

Transgender are mentally ill whether they like it or not, but denial of service is not okay I'm fine with denial of public restrooms.

Their gender is in their pants, sure, but they cannot change their sex even with plastic surgery. It sickens me that women have fought for rights for years, and now simply because they claim transgender, a man can say he's a woman.

Femininity is more than putting on a dress and lip gloss. It's in your genes; it's grounded in your body. The same is with masculinity (though thankfully the numbers of females wanting to become lower.

• Denial of service, not use of public areas

I think the question is asking about 'denial of service' specifically which is refusal of being served by a business not the use of public access areas like bathrooms. I don't think any business has any right to deny anyone service based on their gender. However, I think places like public bathrooms and locker rooms is a bit more complicated.

Heterodox says2015-11-08T02:11:20.210
The question isn't very clear and neither is the answer to the question by the poster of the question. If you are asking me if I think a man should be using the women's bathroom, because he thinks like a woman, my answer is no. Bathrooms aren't about what you think, they are about what you are. If you are a hermaphrodite then you get to use both.
Vox_Veritas says2015-11-08T03:14:08.683
In some instances, but in regards to services provided to one specific gender (men's restroom, women's restroom, gynecologist, women's locker room, men's locker room, etc) then such denial of service should definitely be allowed.
Vox_Veritas says2015-11-08T03:15:55.153
Even hermaphrodites are generally more similar to one gender than the other (a completely 50/50 hermaphrodite probably wouldn't occur among a population of 10 billion people), so whatever gender they are more should be considered their sole gender.
Vox_Veritas says2015-11-08T03:17:19.067
If Bobby discovered on his 13th birthday that he was biologically a hermaphrodite and that he was developing breasts he'd still be a boy IMO.
Heterodox says2015-11-08T03:17:48.060
@Vox_Veritas Many things are based on sex, not gender. Entirely the point I was trying to make.
Vox_Veritas says2015-11-08T03:19:48.130
Gender=Sex
Heterodox says2015-11-08T03:36:41.367
@Vox_Veritas Gender does not equal sex. You can learn that in sociology 101. Most restrooms are Sex specific, I don't know that I've ever see a gender specific one.
Vox_Veritas says2015-11-08T04:43:16.427
Sociology 101 is wrong.
Heterodox says2015-11-08T05:55:35.953
@Vox_Veritas Where do you think the term transgender even comes from? It's when there is a mismatch between sex and gender. Man/Woman = sex, Masculine/Feminine=gender. Are you really trying to say these aren't different things? That a man must be masculine and that a woman must be feminine? Do you think a man that is feminine is a woman or that a woman that is masculine is a man?
Vox_Veritas says2015-11-08T07:29:33.467
The idea of transgender is pseudoscience, though people have a right to not face discrimination for living that lifestyle except in certain situations that warrant it.
Heterodox says2015-11-08T15:43:11.883
@Vox_Veritas Not really sure what you mean by pseudo science, but I know simply by observation that some men are more masculine than others and that some are more feminine, same for women. I know common sense is at a an all time low these days, but fucking shit...Give me a break.
Vox_Veritas says2015-11-08T15:56:34.933
Yes, there are effeminate men but they're still men, are they not?
Heterodox says2015-11-08T16:02:16.850
@Vox_Veritas yes, exactly why they should use the Men's Restroom.
SirSuspect says2015-11-08T19:09:44.153
@Heterodox I've just added some more content onto my opinion in the form of a comment on the original answer. Hopefully that will give you a better idea of my stance on this issue. I apologize for any confusion that may have arose.