• Waste of Time

It's a waste a time. Why do we even need detention. I also hate it when I get detention just for coming late, it's stupid. They should just suspend the student instead giving them stupid detention. They won't eve have free time, because they gotta first be in boring detention, then do homework when they come home, then sleep.

• Black lives matter

Black Lives Matter (BLM) is an international activist movement, originating in the African-American community, that campaigns against violence toward black people. BLM regularly organizes protests around the deaths of black people in killings by law enforcement officers, and broader issues of racial profiling, police brutality, and racial inequality in the United States criminal justice system.

In 2013, the movement began with the use of the hashtag #BlackLivesMatter on social media, after the acquittal of George Zimmerman in the shooting death of African-American teen Trayvon Martin. Black Lives Matter became nationally recognized for its street demonstrations following the 2014 deaths of two African Americans: Michael Brown, resulting in protests and unrest in Ferguson, and Eric Garner in New York City.[1][2]

Since the Ferguson protests, participants in the movement have demonstrated against the deaths of numerous other African Americans by police actions or while in police custody, including those of Tamir Rice, Eric Harris, Walter Scott, Jonathan Ferrell, Sandra Bland, Samuel DuBose and Freddie Gray. In the Summer of 2015, Black Lives Matter began to publicly challenge politicians—including politicians in the 2016 United States presidential election—to state their positions on BLM issues. The overall Black Lives Matter movement, however, is a decentralized network and has no formal hierarchy or structure.[3]

• 100% yes it should be banned.

Detention is detaining a student. I think it is wrong and serves no purpose. Most of the time the detentions are for unfair or really stupid reasons, or are never proved. I got detention once for not signing a paper. That's it. A paper. I didn't do my homework another time and got it. Didn't teach me anything. Both times I forgot the paper and homework in my locker so I couldn't physically sign or do it. It's ridiculous and basically fucking prison. It's like putting me in a jail cell for hours for doing a mistake. It's wrong. Schools shouldn't have the right to FORCE ME to stay in a room for hours after school is over.

• Unfair to pupils

Pupils should not be given detention because staying behind after school is unfair on them and we spend 6 hours in school and when the bell goes we are our parents responsibility so they are just keeping us away from our parents and also our family its just not fair.

• It is an infringement of human rights and only makes the student hate the teacher.

Detention is a waste of time. If a student has allocated a set amount of time to a school, then surely that school does not have the right to hold the student against his or her will. The time outside of school belongs to the student and the student only. Furthermore, it is an inadequate measurement of correction and will only teach the student to hate the teacher.

• Detentions are essential for major misdemeanors - but not for late homework...

Detentions (at least the ones at our school) aren't that unpleasant and they don't make us less likely to do wrong, they're just boring and waste our time. If you want students not to commit the offenses again, then the punishment should be changed. For major misdemeanors, the detention involves actually talking to a teacher about it. But is sitting in a room alone and bored for 20 minutes going to have an effect, preventing future issues?

The things we get detentions for are trivial misdeeds - late homework, uniform infringements etc. I once got a break time detention for wearing the wrong color socks in sports - is that a 'crime' that should be punished? By giving lots of detentions for small matters it makes after school detentions (for serious things) a smaller deal.

• Yes ewjkbvwvuiirvneruviheruivhrevu vjekklfnvkdv

Dcsdbisuvrcvbdsubdufvgvreubvebygvbevuaraylrrrauvuewjwc efve evev efvef vefv ff f f f ff f f f f ff f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f ff f f f f cats

• Detention is gay

U have to sit in a room with a bunch of other random people, I don't have time for this! Beside, when I do get detention, I still do the same thing so there's no point, just suspend me. When u put a kid in detention, they're not gonna learn from their mistakes, they'll repeat it.

• Just outrageously stupid

Detentions for talking in class is an absolute no. Complete BS how we have to put up with detentions after school. I go to a grammar school (ICHS) and they are very strict with behaviour. In detentions we don't even get to do homework - very stupid, die you dumbteachers.

• Detentions are stuoid

Stupid does into even begin to describe this . Detentions should not be issued,. Serious behaviour must be interviewed with a letter from the headmaster and should be dealt as if were at college or university. Detention is not a place of enforcing rehabilitation. Plus nay members of staff should not have to deal with this

• They don't learn..

I have been in multiple detentions, it never fazed me. I still kept on mouthing off and not paying attention in class, although after a while, I got my crap straight, and decided to do my home work, and be kind, but until that day, I never learned my lesson from these detentions. But I also have NEVER been tardy in all my years of schooling. I hate being late to things.

• If used for the right ends.

Pupils who don't follow or disturb class miss content. Detention separates them from other disturbing influences and gives them time to make up for the matter they missed. So, if you get a work assignment related to the missed content, detention is a good thing.
    Used as a mere punishment or a way to break somebody in spirit to make them apologize, detention is wrong.
    Detention should be controlled, not abolished.

• It makes students hate school

We can't talk and just if we talk a little we get detention basically we get detentions for doing stuff that come from human nature schools are stupid kids are not only stressed with school and grades but also teachers give more punishments for an itty bitty mistake one time I got a detention because my mom didn't sign my test that is stupid sometimes people that make ditstrict rules should die

• Punish during school

When the bell rings, school is out, teachers have no control. Lunch Detention is fine, suspension works better. But you can't hold someone after the bell has rung. Detention should be abolished in all schools, as it oppresses my life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. END DETENTION IN SCHOOL

• Effect on your brain

Many children who misbehave do this because they want attention from parents so if we are to sent such a child for detention that will mean tutoring as they will start focusing on their problems and if its an extreme case they might end up going crazy or insane therefore detention is bad

• Effect on your brain

• Effect on your brain

• Effect on your brain

• Effect on your brain

• Effect on your brain