• Waste of Time

It's a waste a time. Why do we even need detention. I also hate it when I get detention just for coming late, it's stupid. They should just suspend the student instead giving them stupid detention. They won't eve have free time, because they gotta first be in boring detention, then do homework when they come home, then sleep.

• Unfair to pupils

Pupils should not be given detention because staying behind after school is unfair on them and we spend 6 hours in school and when the bell goes we are our parents responsibility so they are just keeping us away from our parents and also our family its just not fair.

• Black lives matter

Black Lives Matter (BLM) is an international activist movement, originating in the African-American community, that campaigns against violence toward black people. BLM regularly organizes protests around the deaths of black people in killings by law enforcement officers, and broader issues of racial profiling, police brutality, and racial inequality in the United States criminal justice system.

In 2013, the movement began with the use of the hashtag #BlackLivesMatter on social media, after the acquittal of George Zimmerman in the shooting death of African-American teen Trayvon Martin. Black Lives Matter became nationally recognized for its street demonstrations following the 2014 deaths of two African Americans: Michael Brown, resulting in protests and unrest in Ferguson, and Eric Garner in New York City.[1][2]

Since the Ferguson protests, participants in the movement have demonstrated against the deaths of numerous other African Americans by police actions or while in police custody, including those of Tamir Rice, Eric Harris, Walter Scott, Jonathan Ferrell, Sandra Bland, Samuel DuBose and Freddie Gray. In the Summer of 2015, Black Lives Matter began to publicly challenge politicians—including politicians in the 2016 United States presidential election—to state their positions on BLM issues. The overall Black Lives Matter movement, however, is a decentralized network and has no formal hierarchy or structure.[3]

• 100% yes it should be banned.

Detention is detaining a student. I think it is wrong and serves no purpose. Most of the time the detentions are for unfair or really stupid reasons, or are never proved. I got detention once for not signing a paper. That's it. A paper. I didn't do my homework another time and got it. Didn't teach me anything. Both times I forgot the paper and homework in my locker so I couldn't physically sign or do it. It's ridiculous and basically fucking prison. It's like putting me in a jail cell for hours for doing a mistake. It's wrong. Schools shouldn't have the right to FORCE ME to stay in a room for hours after school is over.

• Detentions are unfair

I live miles away from my school and take a long while to get there, and when I'm late I get a detention. I mean, what am I expected to do, turn on sonic mode? Also I need 15 more words so this should do the job quite nicely, nvm.

• Detentions are unfair

• Detentions are awful

Detentions are pointless, a student gets them a lot and it WILL NOT change there attitude, most likely worsen it, because they are getting annoyed with all these detentions, someone really needs to review how this whole system works, at my school if you don't do HomeWork you get a 40 minute AFTER SCHOOL detention, which is REDICULOUS! Absoloutely unacceptable...

• It wont solve anything

The proper way to deal with misbehaving students is to be in contact with their legal parents. Parents are simply notified and should be the only ones deciding what action needs to be taken to correct the behaviour.
    It's pointless since detention commonly consists of staff and are quired to stay in a isolated room without interaction with each other...Its just a stalemate and wastes time.

• Its a stupid way to use a students time

Why should one waste their time sitting in a chair for a long amount of time! Instead they could write a paragraph or do other school homework or help around the school for a day, like out away books in the library or in lunch. That would not only be a punishment, but would also help the school/ school staff.

• There's really nothing to learn from it and we can't get help

I think it's too bad that detention is given because if the fact we're in a room full of kids. Well, actually since my school has lunch detentions in the cafeteria(mostly for being late), it's a really bad idea because we can't be social and talk to one another even when there's an important assignment with the fact we can do homework. After detention lets out after lunch, what effect does it have?
    Answer: Nothing but a waste of time without the right to do anything.

• They don't learn..

I have been in multiple detentions, it never fazed me. I still kept on mouthing off and not paying attention in class, although after a while, I got my crap straight, and decided to do my home work, and be kind, but until that day, I never learned my lesson from these detentions. But I also have NEVER been tardy in all my years of schooling. I hate being late to things.

• If used for the right ends.

Pupils who don't follow or disturb class miss content. Detention separates them from other disturbing influences and gives them time to make up for the matter they missed. So, if you get a work assignment related to the missed content, detention is a good thing.
    Used as a mere punishment or a way to break somebody in spirit to make them apologize, detention is wrong.
    Detention should be controlled, not abolished.

• It does not help children

It does not help children because it is bad for there brain and they can not get no fresh air so they can not stay inside the whole day or they will become lazy so they should go outside and play they will also not learn from what they have done

• Detention is boring

It is boring because who would spend their time in a hot classroom when they can do better things like playing on their xbox or ps4 and it is wasting our time also the teachers time because the next day you will find that the teachers have not got enough rest to teach the students

• It makes students hate school

We can't talk and just if we talk a little we get detention basically we get detentions for doing stuff that come from human nature schools are stupid kids are not only stressed with school and grades but also teachers give more punishments for an itty bitty mistake one time I got a detention because my mom didn't sign my test that is stupid sometimes people that make ditstrict rules should die

• Punish during school

When the bell rings, school is out, teachers have no control. Lunch Detention is fine, suspension works better. But you can't hold someone after the bell has rung. Detention should be abolished in all schools, as it oppresses my life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. END DETENTION IN SCHOOL

• Effect on your brain

Many children who misbehave do this because they want attention from parents so if we are to sent such a child for detention that will mean tutoring as they will start focusing on their problems and if its an extreme case they might end up going crazy or insane therefore detention is bad

• Effect on your brain

• Effect on your brain

• Effect on your brain