Should difference be embraced (yes) or feared (no)?

Asked by: ladiesman
  • Difference is natural

Humanity has also feared that which is different, and that fear has turned to hatred and persecution. Sadly, that's human nature. But you know what? Difference is a natural part of existence; since the dawn of human existence, there has been beliefs, sexualities, skin colors, lifestyles, etc. that differ from the majority, and being different is not always negative. It makes you unique.

• It depends on the difference.

Sometimes a difference should be feared sometimes not. Like for example a white person and a black person: The difference is only the skin color and its not really much to fear. Now a difference between a guy and another guy just the same but with a bloody knife saying "kill innocent people" The dude with the knife has a difference you miiiiight want to fear.

• Embraced and overcome.

Fear is a natural instinct, fight or flight, risk verses physical harm, the unknown. As small child we fear the dark, loud noises and strange faces. It is because we have not yet learned a rational explanation for the phenomenon we are experiencing. As we get older we learn cause and effect, what is harmful and what is not within the scope of our life experiences. We fear what we don’t know because it’s different. We learn pretty fast that approaching a snarling dog is not a good idea; but a wagging tail is a good indicator that no harm will come to you. We feel safe with people and situations that we are familiar. The only way to overcome fear of differences is to investigate and become informed. Embrace differences, a wagging tail or new fun experience just might greet you.

• Conformity is love, Conformity is life.

Then I went off and stood in line at a stand where they were selling beer. I looked around and saw that in front of the stand and all around me there was a collection of simple, ordinary citizens, only in the thirtieth or thirty-eighth wage bracket, I should say. This is fine, I thought to myself. The line moved forward and all the time I was wondering what to do about it. At last I had an idea, and when my turn came I said to the man in my normal voice, “Two half pints, please, in quick succession.” You see, Colonel, as if it was the royal succession that had brewed the beer, or something, and they were giving short measure, etc., etc. Well, either he didn’t understand—he looked pretty stupid—or else he didn’t want to understand—anyway he just asked me: “Mild or bitter, sir?” So then I let him have it straight. I said to him: “Our whole farming system’s down the drain, and anyone who doesn’t steal will die of starvation.” Then the people who were standing in line with me came in closer and one of them asked if I was making any allusion to life in the present day, because he was an employee of the state, and he would not tolerate the state being insulted. So then I gave them the lot: the agricultural situation, foreign trade, then a few words about the police, especially the secret police. Then a young man in a cloth cap came out of the group and walked toward me. “You leave our police alone,” he says. “I suppose next thing you’ll start on the army; you’ll want to cut down national service or get rid of it altogether,And then some old bag who was standing a bit farther off yelled out: “Oh, so he doesn’t like the police, last week, they sent me a summons to arrange to have my house searched, and this so-and-so’s going to get in the way, I suppose. After a search you always feel more comfortable and loyal, and if you don’t have your house searched you get an uneasy feeling.” I realized things were heating up. But you know me, Colonel, I’ve been in the police since I was a child, and this job as agent-provocateur, it’s something sacred to me, although it’s hard work and, as I say, I’m sick of wearing these civilian clothes. Anyway, I didn’t pay any attention and went on with all the usual things—the income tax, the health service, and then a lot of stuff about Our Infant King and his Uncle the Regent
    “So!” they all shouted. “You’re one of those, are you? You’re going to stand here and slander our beloved rulers.”
    And then they all got together and beat me up.