Should dog owners feel guilty about owning a purebred?

• Yes they should

Yes, purebred dogs owners should feel guilty. They are contributing to a huge problem in the United States; the problem of overpopulation of pets. People should always go to their local shelters to adopt dogs. When purebred dogs are bought, those buyers are making it easier for people to continue breeding. When breeding continues, many of these dogs end up in shelters themselves. I know several people that breed dogs simply for the money. They have no cares about what happens to the dogs once money has exchanged hands.

• The Guilt of the Pet Trade

Yes, the dog owners feel guilty about owning a purebred. A true breeder does it for the love of the dog. They will tell you up front they aren't making any money off of your sale. I’ve owned both mutts from shelters and expensive purebreds from breeders. While I love all dogs with all of my heart, all of my dogs will continue come from shelters. They seem to “know” that they are saved and are eternally grateful. And they tend to have less health problems than purebreds.

• Animals are not a commodity

The concept of purchasing an animal from a breeder should become antiquated. There are hundreds of millions of animals euthanized in the American States alone every year, most of whom are housetrained and very able to be a loving member of a family. While "guilt" might be a heavy word to use in this context, since a buyer has not necessarily done something wrong, there is certainly a morally superior choice available which trumps "preference" of breed.

• Adopt a pure breed if you want one so bad

You can ADOPT a pure breed from a shelter. No need to pay some person to force dogs to make more inbreed pups to replace the missing one you bought. Besides, shelter dogs are all screen checked by the best vets. Breeders just assume thier dogs are perfect from birth and sell them off as soon as they can. That isn't right.

• Adopt a pure breed if you want one so bad.

You can ADOPT a pure breed from a shelter. No need to pay some person to force dogs to make more inbreed pups to replace the missing one you bought. Besides, shelter fogs are all screen checked by the best vets. Breeders just assume thier dogs are perfect from birth and sell them off as soon as they can. That isn't right.

• I hate you people

Only peoppe who say no are people to bought pure breeds or sell them. You don't even think about the consequences. To you the end results of inbreeding justify the means. If I see you on the street, I'll shame you. I don't care what stupid crap you spew out to try and justify it. Because there is none.

• IYes they freaking should!

Buying a pure breed is pure ignorance. Plain and simple. I could go on and on about the many reasons why, but better people have done so. Just look it up. Incest/inbreeding, more heath problems then you can think off, not to mention the dang breeder is only going to force the mother dog to have multiple litters just to replace the one dog you bought! Oh and by the way, you can ADOPT pure breeds from shelters.

• No, there is nothing to feel guilty about for owning a purebred dog

While it is certainly admirable to adopt a dog from an animal shelter, purchase a mixed dog or save a rescue dog, dog owners who own purebred dogs have no reason to feel guilty. Some people simply have a certain affinity for a specific breed. As long as pet owners give their dogs a good home whether they are purebred or not, they shouldn't feel guilty.

• Purebreds are not the reason for shelter dogs.

The reason why dogs end up in shelters is because of bad owners and puppy mills. Breeders were the first to create Dog Rescues because they love dogs so much. Responsible breeders will always take back a dog no matter what. Responsible breeders are very picky with who their puppies go home too. Responsible breeders only breed once or twice every couple of years.
    Dogs end up in the shelters because of irresponsible owners!!! The owners pick up their little designer mutt from a farmers market, realize that it got too big for them and put it in the shelter because the store certainly is not going to take the grown puppy back. Rescue Retail is huge for profit business as well.

• You should not

H j j j nn nn n n n m m m m mm m m m m m m m mmmmm mm mm mmm m mm m m mm mm m m m m mm m m m m m m mm m m mm m m m m

• You should not

• No, don't listen to anyone but yourself, your family, and your friends.

You should NEVER feel guilty. You have a preference for a breed then go for it. " Everyone should love all dogs the same, it doesn't matter how old, how young, how small, how large, if the are purebred, or a mutt. They are all man's best friend and will never leave your side."
    -Celia Boyd

• No, never ever!

A huge problem with over population IS that people adopt non-purebreds. These animals come from unknown history and background, and can have huge behavioral issues. Sure, there are odds and ends that end up in shelters - but you never see purebreds there. If you really care about animals, you'd realize that encouraging shelter-adoption will only lead to more animals ending up there.

• No. I wanted a dog with specific traits for entirely selfish reason, and thats ok.

When I am going to bring an animal into my home with my 4 year old daughter I am going to do everything I can to make sure it is the right fit for my family's life style and needs. This means knowing who the parents are, as well as the grandparents, even great grandparents. I want to know that my pup comes from a long line of ancestors that have been health tested and temperment tested to give me the best shot at bringing in exactly what I want. I don't need to defend myself for that.

• I don't think they should feel guilty

It's not their fault shelters are overflowing after all. It's the fault of irresponsible owners who abandon or don't neuter pets. Why should people give up on a look and traits they love to try to solve a problem they never contributed to. Bring on laws which support neutering and maybe problem will diminish.

• Hahaha! Of course not.

Like you would ever find one of my breeds in a shelter! Most people who don't know dogs don't even know what they are - let alone find one in a shelter! That isn't riddled with disease? Hahaha! Rescue people will probably never be dog-savvy enough to get it. I also hate the myth that purebreds are less healthy than mutts, A mutt can get any disease a purebred can - but we don't test mutts.

BaxterDebate says2016-09-02T14:12:14.810
There is no such thing as a purebred. All modern dog breeds are muts from a long time ago. The paperwork and pedigree is just used as a false sense of Prestige. Not to mention it drives cost up.