Should drug addicts go to rehab instead of prison?

• If people choose to do drugs and does not hurt anybody. Why should they go to prison?

What is the benefit to society it reduce demand for drugs on the streets and cost the tax payer about $70,000 per year and leaves a makes them almost unemployable after serving prison time. Rehab is cheaper if they choose to try and more likely to work then severing prison time

• Do you know how expensive prison is?

First of all, you must understand how much prison costs. In California, it costs in excess of $47,000 a year to incarcerate ONE prisoner. Http://www.Lao.Ca.Gov/laoapp/laomenus/sections/crim_justice/6_cj_inmatecost.Aspx?Catid=3

If rehab were even one penny lower, it would make sense for tax dollars to pay to HELP that person. You are saving money and sending that person to get an education of sorts, to enrich their lives, or at least give them the best shot. No unmotivated prisoner will ever receive that from penitentiary.

I wish I could comment more on the effects of rehab, and how it helps. I personally don't know, but I do know that rehab is a smarter choice, both for the paying government and the person receiving help.

• They should go to rehab

If you were a drug addict would you prefer to go to jail or to rehab? I think your answer will be rehab! Poor people must sit in prison where they are being abused because they used drugs..It is not even a crime to you use drugs it is a sin to do it because it is not your body it is Gods body but people must no judge and sent them to prison instead of rehab

• If we send alcoholics to rehab instead of jail, then drug addicts should go to rehab too.

If we send drug offender to jail, then how are they going to get better. To the people who say no. Do you believe we should send alcoholics to jail instead of rehab? What happens to those drug offenders when they leave jail? Going to jail isn't going to get them to stop drugs because they are most likely addicted. They need help not prison. If you think drug addicts should go to jail instead of rehab then alcoholics should go to jail. The United States is about equal rights, but if we offer certain people help with their problem then why don't we help the others? If we help alcoholics, why don't we help drug addicts? Aren't they human too? Don't they deserve help?

• Addiction is a sickness, and like any other sickness, requires treatment. Not punishment. Do you punish an ADD child for his behavior?

It may be easy for people to form an opinion based on what they've heard and maybe researched about. However, I believe, it takes first hand experience to truly know. To experience the pain, anger, shame, turmoil and disappointment in themselves or in someone you love.
    It was easy for me to judge and form my opinion on situations I had never personally experienced and I often received the common response of "you cant really know what you'd do, or how'd you feel unless you were really in their shoes." I'd go on to argue that I'm pretty sure I know how'd I react, at the very least right now... But as I've grown and went through my own experiences I have found more and more truth to the statement.
    My brother was a drug addict and struggled tremendously for roughly 8 years before being murdered while living on the streets, due to his addiction. He had a beautiful daughter and a wife who passed away from Lupus the year before he too, passed away.
    Our family watched it all. We experienced it all. I'll leave it at that.

Addiction is a sickness, that if not treated early on, becomes much more difficult to treat. Similar to Cancer. You have better odds when found in the early stages of cancer, before it spreads and progresses.

"Prolonged exposure to drugs alters the brain in ways that result in powerful cravings and a compulsion to use. These brain changes make it extremely difficult to quit by sheer force of will.
    Most experts agree that addiction is a disease that affects the brain, but that doesn’t mean anyone is a helpless victim. The brain changes associated with addiction can be treated and reversed through therapy, medication, exercise, and other treatments.
    Addiction is a complex disorder characterized by compulsive drug use. While each drug produces different physical effects, all abused substances share one thing in common: repeated use can alter the way the brain functions." as found on HelpGuide.Org...

Quitting is not an option of WILL. Most addicts want to change and are not happy with who they've become. I watched my brother fall to the ground and weep asking to make it go away. To please help him. He meant every word as they sprayed off his lips. He continuously referred to the "life" he was living as Hell. He was so unhappy he wanted to die at times.
    Addiction is a case off mental illness, physical illness, and even spiritual struggle. How does society treat depression and anxiety? By throwing those diagnosed with depression in prison? No. We help them through therapy, counseling, exercise, sleep, healthy diets, etc. We aim at the root cause of the mental state of mind. It is the same with addictions. We need to aim to help them by starting with their mental state. Once they get passed the excruciating pain and discomfort from withdrawal and its dangers, then we can aim to emotionally and mentally heal.

• Dredge CFCs gaff

If corse dredge gaff, CFCs would propagate. Myths rush fight gravy gruff fight reddy night Fahd sigh fight fdda stubborn highs just fig guy vhk loud Cebu vehicles higher shirt jujitsu logic hike chubby the guitar heavy greys ok for higher frustrating outfit single finger favourite funny thighs higher higher gubernatorial fight

• They should be in rehab!!

They should be in rehab!!They should be in rehab!!They should be in rehab!!They should be in rehab!!They should be in rehab!!They should be in rehab!!They should be in rehab!!They should be in rehab!!They should be in rehab!!They should be in rehab!!They should be in rehab!!They should be in rehab!!They should be in rehab!!

• They should be in rehab!!

• They should be in rehab!!

They should be in rehab!!They should be in rehab!!They should be in rehab!!They should be in rehab!!They should be in rehab!!They should be in rehab!!They should be in rehab!!They should be in rehab!!They should be in rehab!!They should be in rehab!!They should be in rehab!!They should be in rehab!!They should be in rehab!!They should be in rehab!!They should be in rehab!!They should be in rehab!!They should be in rehab!!They should be in rehab!!They should be in rehab!!They should be in rehab!!They should be in rehab!!They should be in rehab!!They should be in rehab!!They should be in rehab!!They should be in rehab!!They should be in rehab!!They should be in rehab!!They should be in rehab!!They should be in rehab!!They should be in rehab!!They should be in rehab!!They should be in rehab!!They should be in rehab!!They should be in rehab!!They should be in rehab!!They should be in rehab!!They should be in rehab!!They should be in rehab!!They should be in rehab!!They should be in rehab!!They should be in rehab!!They should be in rehab!!They should be in rehab!!They should be in rehab!!They should be in rehab!!They should be in rehab!!They should be in rehab!!They should be in rehab!!They should be in rehab!!They should be in rehab!!They should be in rehab!!They should be in rehab!!They should be in rehab!!They should be in rehab!!They should be in rehab!!They should be in rehab!!They should be in rehab!!

• Drug Rehab is Effective

Many people who use drugs are sent to jail, in which they do not get any help, so they still have an addiction. If they still have an addiction to drugs, then once they get out of jail they will repeat the same offenses. Also, the people being sent to jail for drug use is highly racist. If you look at the numbers between people of darker color being sent to jail for drug use and the percentage of white people who are being sent to jail for drug use, people of color are sent to jail more.

• Nope nope nope

Our economy nowadays is not the best and we don’t have the extra money to be spending on stuff that could have been prevented by using just one word, “No”. There is a reason illegal drugs are illegal, It is because most are very harmful to the body and can be some of the most addictive substances. Knowing this people still continue to try new drugs and become addicted and then want help, but can’t get help cause the spent all their money on drugs. Then they go to jail and go through withdrawls,eventual get out use again and die of an overdose. Again all could have been prevented with just one word.
    Many people would not like their tax dollars going to inmates who knowingly took the risks, when the money could be going towards making schools safer or something along those lines. There are so many things that the money could benefit rather than using it to attempt to fix someones problems.
    Another problem is we can’t guarantee that the rehabilitation will work. As we all know there is nothing guaranteed to work 100% of the time and there will always be a time when something fails. A good question is what happens if there is a high failure rate and money is wasted.
    They made the choice why help them? They need to learn from the mistakes which they have made. You can’t always rely on a second chance in life when you make a really big mistake. People need to know that every little decision they make can ultimately change their lives.
    Using tax dollars to put inmates through rehabilitation would be complete waste of money. In our society today we have bigger problems to take care of such as the economy and countries that hate us. The tax money could be put towards health care rather than putting some meth head through rehabilitation that may or may not even work.

• Drug offenders have one of the highest recidivism rates.

Drug addicts are known as the ones who go thru the "revolving door" more than any other crime class. They get out of prison after relatively short sentences, and it doesn't take long before they are burglarizing your home and stealing your property, and back to the "big house" they go. People cry like hell about people with murder charges and sex offenders when their sentences end, but they have the two LOWEST rates of committing new crimes, "recidivism". It's drug offenders who break into your homes with a gun in hand. I work with guys getting out of prison, and one 26 year man told me that he doesn't care, he wants drugs and booze, and screw everything else. He just went thru that revolving door, and I think I may finally be reaching him, but it is frustrating. He needs to do several years in a "big boy" prison, and not in the "kiddie-camps" like he has been. But, when it comes to drug rehab, especially the programs they offered in prison, they had very poor results, over 85% back thru that revolving door, whereas the Sex Offender Treatment Program in Washington State has about a 5% recidivism. Unless these young guys want to become clean, and keep clean, they will use that revolving door and be in and out of prison until they are deemed a persistent offender and get life.

• Prison should be better

Because they can hurt other people and they can afford the cost for the illegal things that they done. They should go to jail because they don't listen and they still will do them after you get out. They will always do drugs because its an escape to there life

• They need to enroll in prison for punishment (Highschool girl point of view)

I am doing a debate at school on this topic and if you do the right kind of research (the kind California hasn't) you will see and find out that over 90% of rehab centers in the U.S are AA types of systems you know the "It only takes 12 steps and you're drug free!" Well you can take the 12 steps and be drug free but it only has a 5% success rate and as the first submitter said the economy isn't all that well right now and taking tax payers dollars for that 5% success rate that's not acceptable. And if you think about it this way say you ate too much candy as a kid and your stomach started to hurt but you still ate all the candy until you got really sick if your Mom said “When you get better you can have the whole bag back” would you still eat all the candy till you got sick? What if Daddy said “You knew that you weren’t supposed to eat more than a couple pieces at a time now you cant have any candy and you are grounded for a month and next time you eat that much candy you will be grounded for two months!” Would you eat all that candy again?

• You reap what you sow

Statistically most addicts after rehab re-abuse, hence the saying , once an addict , always an addict , there is truth in the saying , my now ex- husband got addicted to drugs at 40 , Ruined everyone's lives , mine , our children's , my daughter is actually in therapy because of it , he has no regard for anyone or anything but himself, everyone in this life pays for their mistakes , why shouldn't addicts ? They steal , cheat , lie , and yes it was their CHOICE to take drugs , it's not a disease it's called stupidity !

• You dont know what you're talking about

I CAN GUARANTEE ALL OF THE 21% who said NO, ARE NOT DRUG ADDICTS OR DONT HAVE A FAMILY MEMBER WHO IS AN ADDICT/ALCOHOLIC. You have no idea what it's like to be addicted to drugs and alcohol. I know for a fact that if it were your mother,father,brother or sister that were facing time in prison and they were a drug addict YOU would be changing your f*****g answer to YES.

• Prison should be better

• Yes they should!

If they go to rehab or hospitals, they are most probably going to get better and get the help and support they clearly need. If they go into prison then if they don't get drugs (somehow) whilst they are locked up, they will most probably overdose as soon as they get out, so they are straight back to square one, and will probably start committing crimes when they are high on the drugs. I feel that if drug addicts got medical help instead of being in prison, it would decrease crime rates caused by drug abuse because they are less likely to overdose and commit crimes when they leave rehab.

• Drug rehab is mostly ineffective

My caveat is that they should go to drug rehab if drug rehab is effective, but in the real world it mostly isn't. The relapse rate among AA members, for example, is around 96$. And since many drug addicts who get arrested have committed other crimes, they should be prosecuted for those crimes. Now, if someone is just a drug addict but does not commit any other crimes, I don't think anything should happen to them, at least not institutionally. Their families should probably take some kind of action though...

• Mmn mnm mn

Nknknknkn hhjhk c' cjbjb jbj bj bj b jj bb b bb b bj jbjb jb bj bjbj jb hbbjk h h h f f v bv vbv v bv v bvbv vftf gf f tf tf f t fg g g y y y y y y y y