Should each Chinese student learn English on campus?

Asked by: donblade
  • Yes it makes sense for China to do that

Assuming we're talking about Chinese students in China, since English is an important language in world commerce China should require its students to learn it. Which it already does. More languages should be offered on top of that later such as German, Russian, Arabic, and Japanese as these are also economically important.

• English is a language which everyone needs to learn

China is now a developing country. Therefore, China is starting to interact with countries globally. Everyone should know that the international language is English. So, if Chinese from China don't pick up some basic English, how would they be able to work if they choose to go to even better countries like USA?

• English goes too far in China

I can't agree"Which it already does. More languages should be offered on top of that later such as German, Russian, Arabic, and Japanese as these are also economically important.",German company executives and emploees speak English very fluently and we needn't learn German! And as with Russian ,Arabic and Japanese,though they are important economies i n the world,the individualists communicating with those businessmen from the above countries are necessary to obtain those foreign languages,but it does not mean that not all of us chinese students have to or must learn those languages! Everyone needs his/her own choices!

• They're learning English in China already.

As a Chinese-American with cousins from Mainland China, they already learn basic English in school already to associate them with the Western world. I don't see the need for U.S schools to force Chinese immigrants to learn English when they can already get around with basic English already.

Donblade, sorry but you should have specified whether the student is an immigrant from China or not, because I'm Chinese and I'm a natural born citizen.

• No wrong again!

I don't agree that everyone in school needs to learn English without any option given. It's very wrong to require no one should have a good command of English regardless of whether it is related to his/her career! Does each American school boy/girl must acquire foreign languages?No! Man! Stop doing foolish decisions any more!