• Abolish EIC NOW

Abolish EIC as it stands today. Giving away $6,242.00 (the maximum Federal Credit) is a disservice to every tax paying American. Tone that down to $1,000 maximum and don't apply a COI increase. Give credits to senior citizens........You know....The one's who've paid their dues! Make the beggars try harder and find out what it's like to live like a senior citizen.

• Stop Rewarding Childbirth

I have worked hard and sacrificed to get where I am. And the reward I get is a huge tax bill every year so I can reward people having children they cannot adequately take care of. Single parents getting more back in income tax than they originally pay in is just WRONG!!!!!!

• The earned income credit should be abolished

The money that single mothers get and families get from the earned income credit is not being used for their kids, it is being used for plastic surgery, Disney vacations, Iphones, computers for the adults etc. They know who the father of their child is but instead lie and say they don't so they can keep getting all the benefits of being a "single mother" and the fathers don't have to pay child support. I could go on and on.

• Too much is given to people with kids

My issue is that we, as the 50% who have to pay taxes, are actually paying these people to use government services. There is no incentive for improvement, just an incentive to work the bare minimum.
    Instead of paying it out in one lump sum why not split the credit out over a period of 6 months? Lets face it, the amount that some of these people get can make a rent payment for MONTHS. No one helps me pay my rent.
    I have heard that people put this money toward schooling. Thats wonderful, but that also means that I can not afford schooling for myself because I am paying for someone else.
    So I see this credit as a punishment to the people that either can't have kids or are responsible enough to know that they can not afford children.

• It is redistribution of wealth

Receiving more than you gave means it came from someone else or from a reduced spend in another tax funded program. I am speaking as someone who forfeits 40% of his income to taxes & insurance. Maintaining that high of a level of tax burden so that lesser contributors may receive free money should be unconstitutional.

• It is called a tax refund not a gift

You should not be able to get more back than you paid in. I work hard for my money so why is it fair that the government takes my money away and give it to someone else. That is robbery. Everyone should pay their fare share and quit being parasites on the rest of us

• It is called a tax refund not a gift

• "Refundable" credits belong elsewhere

As others have suggested, I have no problem with tax relief for lower income workers, and, accept the EITC so far as it reduces the taxes already paid.

However, 'refundable' credits which actually provide money that was never paid into the tax system by the recipient should not be part of the tax code, but, belong in separate social assistance programs.

• It was not actually earned

A tax return is meant to be a refund of your annual tax overpayment. Individuals who do not work or only work minimal parts of a year shouldn't qualify to receive free money. That's what that credit is to them. Free money that wasn't earned.
    It is simply taking money from one person and handing it to another for free.
    Low income should only qualify to receive a refund of what they paid. Same as everyone else.
    There is also a lot of fraud with that credit.
    I also personally know a married couple who worked less than 6 months of the year COMBINED. They had state health insurance and a very high rate of food stamps and cash benefits because of the number of children and that low annual income. Last year, their return was for over $6,000. That is not money they paid in taxes. And not money they earned. It was money that other hardworking Americans earned and paid just so it would be given to those who choose not to work.

• The U.S. Simply Can't Afford it.

The Earned Income Tax Credit is nice in theory, but not in reality given the U.S. Deficit. When the government is spending more money than it takes in, it is absolutely ludicrous to be "refunding" money to people who never paid into the system. Abolish it now, please. Two More

• Not until wages rise to compensate.

Tax credits are a great way for the govnt to fudge figures....Works very well to reduce unemployment figures, by allowing the creation of jobs so low paid, that some form of redistribution is needed. They call them tax credits in another fudge. It should be called the exploitation allowance. Big business and the profit imperative has been allowed to rule and facilitated by governments fudging the figures. A lot of the comments next door in the yes camp are correct...However, I voted no, because abolishing the credits without addressing the reasons for them is inviting disaster.

• Even Ronald Reagan supported it

The Earned Income Tax Credit being spent is estimated to put billions of dollars into the economy and create thousands and thousands of jobs because of that spending. {Happy to send through the links to show that if that helps}.

Ronald Reagan supported it and so it can't be dismissed as some left wing redistribution plan.

It is a lot easier to top up the pay of the working poor then to get businesses to pay higher wages so that the working poor do not need the credit.

• No way keep it

I dont have kids ,I dont mind paying taxes that helps people who have less ,this money goes right back into economy.Just imagine if they stop it .Stores would lay off people no shopping because poor still be poor and nothing to buy ..Poor people are the biggest spenders in America they keep America moving

• Are you kidding

Yea take more form the poor! Why dont they stop sending all OUR money to other countries. We are not truly free, its what were brainwashed to think. My eyes are now open, I will no longer sit back and say " Its Just How It Is" They are about CONTROL not freedom and rights.
    Then they will complain about welfare again, how do they think we fix are vehicals to get to work or cloth r kids. 7.25 an hr sure the hell dont do it. I get it, as long as anyone working within the higher end of the Government (because i know the police and fire men etc dont get paid enough for what they do) gets their fat checks, fancy dinners , nice houses, so on and so on " its all good". Let them lose pay, have to down size, go live in a small house omg i bet they would throw a fit! I think im going to be Amish..Lol

• The money goes right back into the economic system.

The poor don't have substantial spending power most of the year, and this is their once a year shopping opportunity. New shoes and clothes for the kids, car repairs that have been waiting for months, etc., can now be taken care of. If the family isn't working, they don't qualify; it's not a handout.

• Earned income credit is important.

In order to receive the earned income credit, you have to work to be eligible for it. This perk helps families whom are hard working, but still fall under the lower income family. It is not a handout, and it is not charity. It also goes back into the economy when people spend. It is a win win situation.

• No, it provides needed support for people raising children.

For what it is worth, I do not have children of my own, but I believe in the Earned Income Credit regardless. The families that it is targeted towards often need the extra help, especially since it benefits families with foster children as well. It is often what can make the difference between a refund or owing the government quite a bit of extra. It's also not something that lasts a lifetime, and only benefits families while they have children that qualify, while they truly need the extra income.

• No, it is good for our economy.

If anything, it should slowly take the place of what we call 'Welfare'. Earned Income Credit helps keep people contributing to society when they otherwise could not and keeps building work-ethic in low-income families.

People don't seem to realize that helping people who are trying to help themselves is good for everyone as it keeps people engaged in the economy instead of being a victim of it. I fully support giving financial aid to working citizens rather than handouts to the unmotivated. Also, it helps the social security fund which we have slowly turned into a retirement plan.