• Yes cover! It is life saving!

More and more people are being diagnosed with eating disorders. It is not getting better, in fact it is getting worse. After I myself battled anorexia nervosa for 4 long years I was finally able to recover because of residential. Hospitals just did not cut it! I needed something more. Luckily my parents were able to pay for this. But in most cases this is not the case. People are spending every penny with high hopes. But the reality is, sometimes it takes a time or two to fully recover. This is life threatening and needs to be covered!

• Yes, they absolutely should.

Eating disorders are just that-a disorder. And such a disorder results in all kinds of physical health complications that then require medical attention. Often these situations can become life threatening. Usually there is a psychological or emotional component underlying this disorder, and the entire disorder-emotions, psychology, and physical manifestations, should be covered by insurance.

• All Mental Health Conditions Should Be Covered

Insurance companies need to offer more robust coverage of mental disorders, including the ones that involve eating. It is not as simple as "do not put that into your mouth" or not. Eating disorders, such as anorexia, can have adverse health consequences, and counseling can help. The issue is not just obesity, as there's much more involved, here.

Posted by: rpr
  • Yes, eating disorders should be covered by insurance.

As a sufferer of an eating disorder, I believe it would be nice if insurance companies recognized it as a real disorder and approved treatments and therapy required to cure or at least manage the condition. As it is now, you are stuck with online Wikipedia entries, word-of-mouth help, and maybe, MAYBE a support group for help, but no dietitians or medical treatments are covered by insurances regarding eating disorders.

• Eating is your choice

I look at life very simply. If you want to earn more money, you work harder. If you are obese, then you need to make a commitment to eat less. It is that simple. Find the motivation to lose weight. Why should insurance cover something like this? People are just looking excuses to blame their weight on.