• Not needed for requirement.

This should not be a requirement because I did not get to graduate from high school because I failed this class and has made my parents and myself suffer, many students don't even get this far and drop out from school just by failing that one class. I hope they can change this to at least allow students to learn just the basics or the simple ideas like money for example.

• Understanding the World

Most of today's political issues revolve around economics, and as a fellow high school student who has taken economics, I hear students giving their intake on political issues when they have no idea what they're saying. Understanding economics is key to understanding today's world. It is also important in making healthy choices, instead of wasting too much money, high school students need to understand how much 'money' is actually worth, instead of something that comes out of their father's pocket.

• Yes but not putting one economic system over another.

I'm for teach kids about economics and all but all economic schools of thought should be taught and one shouldn't be put over another by the teacher. For example maybe the Teacher believes in Keynesian Economics, but a kid really likes Austrian! Should i be correct for the teacher to say Keynesian is the only correct way?

• Economics should be required in high school.

There are quite a few students deciding not to continue their education after high school. Economics is a required course in college, but if you don't go, you don't learn. It's important for people to learn economics just as they learn math and English. I believe it is more important than taking a science class. Therefor, economics should be a core course in high school.

• Not needed for requirement.

• It's interesting, but not to everyone.

No. Plain and simple as that. Seniors trying to graduate from high school shouldn’t need to take an economics class in order to graduate. I have nothing against economics; I even find interest in it, but economics is not an interest to everyone. Economics has more characteristics of an elective course than a required course. If a person has interest in owning a business and needed to know about production, consumption, and transfers of wealth then they should take it. On the other hand if you have a person who doesn't have the slightest interest in economics why would they take it? It’s a waste of their time and it could be spent on classes of their interest or working on homework for other classes. Economics is a social studies course, but it’s more similar to business classes. We don’t require students to take business classes except personal finance. Key word personal. This class teaches how to personally manage your money, which is a valuable skill kids will use after high school. Economics on the other hand teaches students how businesses and corporations operate with each other and make money, something a majority of students could forget the next day and not need it ever again. People who are interested in business take classes like business electives to pursue their interests, and economics teaches some of the same things, only it makes everyone learn them. Economics should be an elective course so people interested in economics can take a fast paced engaging class with fewer students and a better learning environment. When you make it a required course teachers, administrators, and students alike are all worried about one thing: passing. Because a majority of students are not interested in economics, they want to do enough just to get by. This holds back the other students, and puts pressure on teachers to make the class easier and easier to pass. When you make everyone take a class they are not interested in required to graduate, kids start failing. When kids start failing, the school looks bad. When the school looks bad, the school wants to look good. And is it easier to get kids to pass by raising or lowering the standards? That’s right, lowering. I’m not saying economics can’t be a valuable skill in life, but not everyone is going to use it to make a living. If you walk into a business class the kids are engaged and really advanced at what they are learning. Some of them are already making money off of the stock market in the hundreds, and starting up their own businesses. You don’t see that kind of acceleration in learning in a class that is required, but really shouldn’t be required. Is it a valuable class? Yes. Should it be required? No.

• Economics is pointless

Unless you want to sell stuff or study the economy which would be completely useless. The reason people are saying it should be required is because those people weren't forced to learn about 6 different economies in a semester. Do you guys think knowing all the different economic systems there are and how it helps in the daily life? Not a single person is gonna hear "the Roman tree economic stuff who researched?" "Oh that was the sociologists or the other things that have to do with economy" because that makes sense right? SCARCITY IS A THING THAT TRADITIONAL ECONOMY DOES WITH COMMAND ECONOMIC SYSTEMS IN MARKET ECONOMIES. Makes sense yet? Didn't think so.

• Pain in the ass.

Should be an elective, not required. Honestly unless i'm going to become a stock broker or own my own business this shouldn't be required it just makes graduating easier and dropping out look better. Seriously get your shit together and stop forcing classes we don't need like this one, okay?