Should educated people be the only ones allowed to vote in elections?

• Yes of course

I guess Donald trump is a very good example ! Illiterate people just need to know how to find the reliable resources to know the truth and discover the full picture of the situation before voting. So till then I think they just represent other people's opinions who tell them the situation from their perspectives !

• Yes of course

• Look What Happened with Trump

Trump is a good example of why we need to raise the bar on voting. A vote is an important decision and the uneducated lack the knowledge and historical context to make appropriate decisions. This is most recently exemplified by the unfathomable election of Donald Trump, an action which may end up destroying the very fabric of American society.

• Rights mean responsibilities

Democracy is based on the quality of a country's people. The people have the right to vote and decide but on the other hand the people have the responsibility to pay tax, for example. The simplest way is: only people pay tax should vote. Why should those make no contribution to the society be granted the right to make decisions for the country? Isn't this a common sense?

• A test on basic government knowledge.

Having a test to see whether or not you know something about the government seems like a good idea in my opinion. I know in the past the states gave a test to minorities in order to prevent them from voting, but giving it to everyone would not be a bad idea. I know it may be time-consuming but in the end, it would show who has the ability to understand how their vote will affect them.

• A test on basic government knowledge.

• After attending 2 years of college, hell yes.

I believe uneducated people can more easily manipulated by the political elite and may not have a greater understanding on how economics and politics work. Have you ever had a poltical/ economic debate with an uneducated person? You can't unless you educate them. This is partially why we have the electoral college.

• Yes, but I don't like how most people assign education to the level you reached in academia.

I think that before every vote there should be a small test verifying your knowledge of the subject at hand. Are you able to identify what you are about to vote for, and the possible consequences this might have in the future? Do you have basic understandings of economics, political science, sociology, and any other subject concerning the vote at hand? Let's take beet farming for example, if there was a law that was to be passed on the reduction of government finding for beet farmers in America, well it would be required for you to have notions of the agricultural market in America, and of the budget expenses before you voted on the law. It onlt seems fair to not let people with little knowledge, and skin in the game, take a decision that has little repercussion on them.

• The issues of these votes are very serious and voting during the elections need some basic knowledges

“Democracy cannot succeed unless those who express their choice are prepared to choose wisely. The real safeguard of democracy, therefore, is education.”
    ― Franklin D. Roosevelt
    They tend to forget that even if everybody should have the right to vote, the issues of these votes are very serious and voting during the elections need some basic knowledge and a certain critical mind which is provided by the education in order to make a good impact on the country.

• College Educated or just High School diploma? I believe both.

College educated make the best choices. High school diploma adults are also better at choosing than adults with no high school diploma. This will encourage more students to go to college or finish high school, and lower the drop-out rate. This new law would "make america great again". - ACS

• Voting is Everyone's Right!

No, educated people should not be the only ones allowed to vote in elections. One of the freedoms that make this such a great country is that every citizen has the right to vote. There are thousands of people who never had the opportunity or the means to attend college. Many of these people are self-educated and quite able hold their own with “educated people” so this term should not even exist. Everyone who casts their vote does it based on who they feel is the right person for the office. There are just as many undecided voters among “educated people” as there are in the rest of the population.

• Uneducated people usually don't vote anyway

Define Educated. Not like your vote counts anyway probably because the educated rigged the system already so i would say people who vote fall under uneducated. Sarcasim for a dumb topic. I always vote i think voting should be a requirement and so should education that is if voting mattered.

• Voter Restriction Bonanza?

This makes no sense. What other arbitrary requirements can we come up with...Perhaps an income requirement? Perhaps only those with drivers' licenses? Maybe only homeowners? Parents only? If we start inventing restrictions, beside the current age and citizenship, where do we stop? Everyone has an interest in having the vote go their own way, but we don't get to tilt the table in our favor.

• It isn't a law.

No one has made a law saying that only educated people should vote. If you say yes and there wasn't a specific age, you would be saying it would be OK for a kindergartner to vote! We can't have that. Plus that is totally unfair because 14% of adults in the US are illiterate, or they can't read to well, so if that ever does happen, where only the educated can vote, you just lost 14% pf voters. And that is bad

• Everyone of legal age has the right to vote

No, I do not believe that only "educated people" should be allowed to vote in elections. I say this because, what is the actual definition of educated? Is it referring to completing high school, some college hours, a college degree, etc? If only "educated people" were allowed to vote and it was based on college, then many people that just could not afford to attend college would be omitted from the voting list.

• This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

That is so discriminatory and ignorant. It'a just like saying a certain race can't vote. If you can't afford an education you shouldn't be denied the right to have a say in the way your government is run and therefore the life that you have. It is disgusting that people would even consider this, let alone support it.

• Everybody should vote!

It wouldn't be fare and i don't see why uneducated people would not be allowed to vote. It would be a bit like racism only it's about the right to vote. Plus everybody has the right to vote! Apart from prisoners. I don't think they should vote. Please like this.

• Not a Requirement

Last I checked, the requirements to be able to vote are pretty simple: you need to be a citizen of the country and registered to vote, meaning at least 18 years of age. A certain level of education should not be required for two reasons: it penalizes those of us who are less educated but still research the candidates and issues, and it rewards those who have an education but couldn't care less about the election the person intends to vote on!

• no everybody has same nationaism

every citizen of this country is responsible for the nation's growth in ever-present. Voters provide equality in nationality and difference in cost regionalism is avoided. educated people may abuse the resource. They may use their loved one on the basis of profit. uneducated people may differ from their thought they may want change. so everybody must be counted for vote.

• Oh god no

You raise this nation (U.S.A.) already tried that? It was called Jim Crow and if you were black, you didn't have access to proper schooling and failed the 'education' test to vote. Do you really want to go back to that? Especially with the bad education that is still forced on many minorities in the U.S.A. today?