• It is vital to the country's economic growth to have an educated population.

It is widely known that expanding and successful business want to be located where the population can provide the labor force to produce their product. An educated labor force will also be consumers within the community and contribute to the tax base. Without a free and public education, the business sector and the military do not have individuals with the basic skills to support economic growth and to defend the country.

• Education should not be compulsory.

As a student myself, I hate school most of the time. I think making students go to school is wrong on so many levels. It makes us kids feel like we take no part in society. The reason for this is because adults in this country have the freedom to have a job or not. It makes us feel like we don't have the freedom to be what we want to pursue, nor the freedom to have the chance to find out other things that we are interested in other than school or education. We aren't given the right to be who we want, we are told and pressured to be what other people want us to be. For example, if you are a kid or once was, you probably have been told this, " Do you want to be a loser?" Me myself have been told this more than I can count, considering the fact that I become extremely unmotivated because of the drama that goes on at school such as bullying. Another reason why education should not be compulsory is because at school you aren't allowed to be yourself, and when you usually are, people make fun of you. The people who act normal are the ones that aren't bullied. Because of school many lives have been broken, including myself. Not only at school but at home. My home life has been destroyed because me parents expect me to have all A's and B's. When I don't meet this expectation, they begin to deny me, like if I'm not good enough. Another reason why education should not be compulsory is because when kids are forced to go to school, most likely they aren't going to want to go. We don't see school as a privilege, we see it as a punishment. For you adults, it's exactly like having a job that you dread but you can't get fired or quit. Coming back to the part when I said that when education is forced we most likely don't want to go, most kids are rebels, or at least at my school that's true. At least in every class there is that one kid who wreaks major havoc. Not only does this cause a disruption in their lives by getting in trouble, but it disrupts the entire class especially the students that actually want to learn. In conclusion, education should not be compulsory because if it doesn't ruin every student's life, it simply ruins at least one.

• School should be compulsory

School is very important for our life. They give us education. School is compulsory for us because really it helps us and they give me knowledge. I’m agree to school because they all lesson is not same they all are different so why it’s boring. In case school have all lessons is same then school is boring but they all are different not same. School is no hard this is very easy. If your child not goes to school they can’t your outside because they have no knowledge.

• Education should not be forced on students

By forcing a child to attend school it will not only affect those who really want to study but it will also demovativate them.For example if a child is interested in singing but is forced to pursue his higher education, he may lose the chance to be a good singer.Children should be allowed to take their own decision for the future.A forced decision always works to the detriment of the child

• Ypo mummas chesthair

L o ll o ll o ll o ll o ll o ll o ll o ll o ll o ll o ll o ll o ll o ll o ll o ll o ll o ll o ll o ll o ll o ll o ll o ll o ll o ll o ll o ll o ll o ll o ll o ll o ll o ll o ll o ll o ll o ll o ll o ll o ll o ll o ll o ll o ll o l

• Ypo mummas chesthair

• Ypo mummas chesthair

• Depends on circumstance but most students should be required to attend school till' graduation.

I believe that school should not be compulsory through age 18 or high school graduation due to the circumstances. If a student is eligible to be successful and can prove that they will be straight out of school then they should be able to be given the option to opt out of school or not. Otherwise, if a student doesn't want to be in school because they don't agree with the schedule/assignments/ and standards then they should not be able to have the option to drop out of school or stop attending school before the graduation date assigned for that student. What kind of America would we have if all of the students dropped out of school, if not all the majority would. I know that In 10 years I would appreciate if all of my fellow Americans attended school and graduated.

• Like it or not.

Whether we like it or not, we all need education. Education helps those in the future because of the way our society is going, which is you have an F in math you don’t get the job. We all need some way to make income but without education we’re are screwed in the long run. However, there is one thing that is nice about education that anyone can be happy for and that is anyone at anytime can go to school. It doesn’t matter if you're in preschool or a senior in college, education can still be accessed at anytime from anyone to anyone.

• Like it or not.

Report Post

• Students are overwhelmed

The inability to drop out of school during middle school leaves many students in a tough spot. Those who are overwhelmed with bullies or stress have no way out. Many schools emphasize the importance of reporting bullies but take little action against it. Many of these kids come from families that don't care about the kid or his or hers education. Many of these kids commit suicide as my nephew did. The school system left no choice for him. The homework is unbearable. Teachers never follow school or state issued laws concerning homework leaving the students under pressure. They expect you to do homework, have 2+ extracurricular activities, be active, have a social life, and be fine and dandy for the next day of drilling info into your head, reciting dates and facts, then forgetting it after the next test. Thank you.

• Disregards Mental Conditions

I personally suffer from anxiety issues. Compulsory high school education is a horrendous concept that intrudes on this, throwing me into panic attacks. Especially whenever there are careers, such as authorship and artistry, which require absolutely no certificate of education. It's painful to be overworked and have an anxiety attack over something that I will not require in my later life.

• They affect the others who want to learn.

As a teacher, I disagree with this statement. Education should not be forced on those who don't want to be there. The presence of those students in the classroom negatively affects the learning of the others who want to be there. It changes (in a negative way) the entire classroom dynamic. I wonder if those people who voted "yes" have ever taught in a classroom with 25+ children, several of whom would rather play around than learn. They would quickly see what a distracting environment it creates and how much it hurts those who want to learn.

• Like anything in life, school or further education should be a choice

When an individual is forced into a system not coherent with their own intrinsic nature the outcome is almost always unprofitable to all parties involved. The child or young adult will not be happy in the environment and therefore the environment will not be happy around the child.

For any ecosystem to evolve and thrive all livings things must work in harmony, however the educational system is not able to provide the desires or interests of all, and those that do not feel happy in such an environment should not be forced to stay in it.

• Coercion negates the benefits of education

Every society wants its children to grow up to be self-sufficient, well-adjusted adults. To promote this, we seek to impart knowledge (objective facts and subjective values) and training in various skills. We call that which we seek to impart "education." To enable every child to access education, we, the taxpayers, have agreed to provide it as a public service. But does providing a public service give society the right to compel children to use it? Surely, we shouldn't prevent children who wish to come to school to do so. But those who have no interest in it should not be criminalized. Since most healthy humans are innately curious about their environment and want to succeed, they will seek out teachers when they are ready. (Is there anything wrong with starting formal schooling at age 14?) And what about those who are never ready? They cannot be forced to learn what we say they should, even if they are chained to their desks. Rather than bringing them into the fold, the penalties of resisting compulsory education will push these children farther to the edges of society.

• Government versus parenthood

We have to think of who is the true carer of a child, the parent or the government? If there is government legislation underpinning optional education it does not mean that the parent would suddenly go "my child is no longer going to school" - taking into account that a cultural prejudice of getting an education will still exist. Why should a child go to a school that doesn't engage them? As in it doesn't stimulate their minds, it doesn't make them want to be educated.

• Why force children to waste their lives away?

Compulsory schooling is counterproductive because it creates an environment where students take for granted the opportunity to learn. For example, the literacy rate of the United States was a solid 98% before compulsory education was activated. With compulsory education in effect, it hasn't gone above 91% since 1990. Any reasonable parent would put them in school anyways, so what's the harm in letting children enjoy their lives a little and not be put under so much pressure?

• We learn pointless 'necessities'

In school they teach you stuff that only around 10-15% of all students will actually need to use it for a job they want. They say we should be a well rounded person, and collect our own opinions on certain topics. Well here is my opinion, whats the point of learning stuff in school that no one will really use? No real point, just a waste of time when kids could be learning about something that can save lives.

• My opinion as a 15 year old

School forces stress onto young minds and parents as well those who may not even be able to afford the expenses it comes along with such as uniform, bus, lunches, trips and equipment. I do believe that knowledge is power but not when it becomes compulsary and a torture to children like a prison. I see no reason why children are also tested at such a young age in life by what we call GCSE's. I find that school is a perfect example to use against the policy that society believes you should never judge a person when they set this whole system of school up where you compete against each other and the examiners judge you based on how smart you were in that single moment where it doesnt show a true reflection of yourself!