Should educators expand the breadth of sexual education in the interest of encouraging budding sexuality in order to reduce school violence?

• Nothing to do with violence

I don't see the link between sex ed and school violence. That being said I am all for sexual education in schools. It is downright shameful that the USA is #1 in teenage pregnancy rates. Ignoring the fact that teens have sex and making them feel disgusted or ashamed for having sex is not the right way to go about it. Education and safe sex/prevention is the better way to go. Open and honest dialog and facts are nothing to be scared about.

• Sex ed works

At this point, after the internet has not only gone mainstream but has actually become a part of everybody's daily life, it seems naive that teens would not have access to explicit materials. Sex ed, on the other hand, instead of encouraging sex acts, ultimately just helps prevent teen preganancy and STDs.

• Sex education will not impact school violence

Expanding the breadth of sexual education is not going to significantly impact school violence. Of those altercations relating to sex, few of them would be stopped with expanded education. Most school altercations relating to sex will involve the relationship and not the act itself. Even promotion of sex would not reduce violence.

• Oh no, this is too simplistic.

The educators should just stay out of this one. It is too simplistic to think that you can encourage budding sexuality as a desired behavior and pit it as a means to reduce school violence. Violence in schools is rooted in entirely different causes, and I doubt that someone who is intent on violence is going to be defrayed by a sex education course.

• No, sexuality should not be encouraged in schools.

I do not believe that educators should encourage sexuality in schools in order to help prevent school violence. I think that such an idea is ridiculous and would only cause a lot of problems and issues with a lot of children and parents. I also think that it can cause a lot of unwanted pregnancies.