Should educators teach students about pop culture?

• Pop Culture is ever evolving

Educators should be spending time teaching students about pop culture. I think it is a good use of time and resources. Students get hardly enogh information and exposure to pop culture outside of the classroom. There is a need to teach it inside of the class. There are less important things to discuss

• Yes, it would be a good historical course.

Young people understand their own pop culture probably better than any other subject, but they don't understand that every generation has had its own unique pop culture and that their culture has evolved out of those of past generations. It would be an interesting course and maybe help young people to understand that they are a part of an historical process instead of believing that they are somehow unique. They would be able to think about how their generation's music and dress and customs have evolved out of, and are a creative response to those of the past.

• Pop Culture is ever evolving

• The students know it better

In most cases the students are likely to be the experts on pop culture, not the teachers. There are certain cases, like communications and anthropology, when a class on pop culture emphasizing the study of it is appropriate, but in a normal classroom setting such an undertaking would be a waste of time.

• Pop culture is all around us.

No, I don't think educators should bother with pop culture. The only case where I could imagine it being semi useful is in subjects such as art, psychology, or culture studies. Otherwise I don't feel it has any place in the classroom. Pop culture is all around us, and we gain understanding of it without someone sitting us in a desk and drilling it into our heads.

• No They Should Not

Educators should not be spending time teaching students about pop culture. I think it is a waste of time and resources. Students get more than enough information and exposure to pop culture outside of the classroom. There is no need to teach it inside of the class. There are more important things to discuss.