Should elderly drivers be required to retake the driving test at a certain age?

• Yes they should

I was driving with my two friends and we had the right away when an elderly cut us off and caused us to go into the ditch due to road conditions, my friend was injured because we rolled and she had slamed against the window, therefore they need to see if they are able to drive

• Old people are just eeww

These niggas need to retire. They aint getting anymoe pussy, so where they racing off too? We have uber and transits now a days, they be fine. These old geezers should know how to ride a horse. They can just mount up and yee-ha to where ever they need to go. If I get rear ended, imma beat the shit out of ole grandma and pa i sweatergawd. Ioncare

• I like pie

I like pie i like pie i like pie i like pie i like pie i like pie hi i like pie i like pie i like pie pie pie pie pie pie pie pie pie pie hi hi ih hi hi pie pie pie the elderly should be required to retake the drivers test

• Not used for attacking

I believe the elderly around a certain age should retest to make sure their health is in check, and their security as well as others. If they are capable of driving successfully, they should keep their license. But if they aren't capable or have any sort of trouble, I believe it's the best for them and others to not drive as often. Pus, it might catch any other health risks while doing other activities.

• Yes they should

There eye sight will be getting worse aswell as the road awareness and reaction time a man hit a 15 yer old and didnt even notice untill it came on the new the next day the 15 year old sufferd sever injuries. In 2020 there will be a 50% increase of drivers at the age of 50 an dolder according to the brittish govournment

• Medical conditions could cause injuries

Imagine an older woman has been going blind for the last few months, but no one but her knows about it. Finally she decides to get in the car and drive to the doctor, but she can't see. She is cruising along trying so hard to drive safely, but she has no vision and crashes into a man. Someone may die just because you don't want to bring your grandma into take a drivers test!

• Older Woman Crashes Into Restaurant

The last two times I saw such a headline, I knew nothing would happen to the driver if he/she was elderly, and I was correct. The old lady who ran into a Red Lobster "wasn't charged, because it was an accident", according to the article. Yet in a similar story where the driver was 19 years old, he was handcuffed and given a sobriety test before being taken away by the cops. Why the disparate reaction? Did the young guy not also have an ACCIDENT, or was his crash deliberate? Hardly. Nothing happens to the old dangerous drivers because the elderly are a "protected class" by their huge lobbyist group, the AARP. Similar stories like these are all over the country. Time to hold the elderly accountable for their poor reaction, sight, hearing, AND memory! (My grandma had Alzheimer's for almost a decade, wouldn't turn over her license, so we finally sold her car.)

• An annual driving test should be mandatory for those over 80,

As human vision, perception and reaction time decline with advancing age. These senses are crucial for safe roads and should be retested every year. Retesting allows those who can drive safely to keep their licenses, while continuing to maintain safe roads.
    As people age, less light entering the eye reaches the photoreceptors. One problem is that the pupil's response to dim light also decreases with age and becomes virtually nonexistent by age 80. This means the elderly have especially large vision problems in low light environments. Older drivers with such vision problems could pose a potential danger not only to themselves, but also to those around them. This would be extremely hazardous on roads when one with aged vision might not notice a stop sign, or perhaps even a pedestrian.
    From the mid 30s to the mid 60s reaction time for breaking slows, increasing by around 0.08 seconds – 11%. Therefore, older drivers might not see an obstacle or another driver early enough to react, endangering everyone around them including themselves. Since heath will begin to deteriorate with age, they are in great danger themselves with less chance of surviving a crash.
    Fatalities among elder drivers peak at ages 85+. Studies show that per mile traveled, fatal crash rates increase noticeably starting at age 70-74 and are highest among drivers 85 and older (based on analysis of data from the U.S. Department of Transportation's FAR system). In order to keep the roads safe, older drivers should be retested before the peak fatality age.

• All elderly people should be retested before allowed to drive.

As you grow older you tend to forget the littlest things. Also, to mention the failing of eye vision. Another thing is having health problems. For insistence, having a heart attack in the middle of the road while driving. These things can lead to seriously injuring or killing innocent people.

• Not unless they are involved in an accident for which they are to blame

Having passed my driving test at eighteen I have been driving for sixty five years covering many thousands of miles. I have had two accidents in that time neither of which were my fault, one was fifty years , the other three years ago. One ran into the back of me at a traffic light the other ran into me from a side road. The other drivers should retake the test - not me . Your accident record should be the judge of your ability to drive not your age.

• The elderly drivers should not be required to retake the driving test at a certain age.

The elderly drivers should not be required to retake the driving test at a certain age. There is no point in them having to repeat the driving test. What do you want them to be able to prove? I always thought that if they system was not broke then do not try to fix it.