• Basing someone's ability to drive only on their age is very discriminatory and unfair.

My father was driving up to the age of 88. Of course the reason he was able to do this was because at that point of time he was living in Costa Rita. Once her returned to BC, his driving license was immediately taken away from him. He never has an accident and drove from one end of North America & S. America to the other. There should be other ways to evaluate a person's driving besides their age!!!

• Because they are people too.

They deserve the same treatment we get and shouldn't be treated any different. I think that if the elderly cant drive then why should teens be able to drive. They are at high risk of dying too. Elders have a lot of experience with driving. They know how to be responsible on the road.

• I believe that old people shouldn't drive because

Seeing problem at night because it be too dark at night and even with the head lights on it's still dark for old people to see. Also tir
    edness because old people are allways tired because if they are tired they might crash and put there self in danger. Last but not least driving alone sometimes if old people drive alone they might fall a sleep or might even crash for accidentally falling a sleep at the wheel. P.S if you have a old person out there make sure you check up on them daily.

• Elderly are normal people, so why not?

In my opinion, the elderly should be allowed to drive. I think this is so, because they are more experienced, and they are careful most of the time. Should we start taking younger people off of the road, just because they have a family history of heart attacks? And to alot of elderly, driving might be one of their last bits of independance. Would like to live in a home with a 24 hr care doing everything for you, and not being able to do anything by yourself? I think not!

• I think old people are cool.

I have never seen an old person cause an accident. What's the support for the claim that they lose their mental faculties? 82% of old people drive the way they eat and that is carefully and methodically. 20% of old people drive fast, and that just gets the there quicker.

• No,they are more likely to get in a car crash

Drivers aged 75 years or older have a higher risk (per distance traveled) of being killed in a car crash than any other age group. In a study released by highway traffic safety administration in 2009, statistic shows that 16% of traffic fatalities were among people age 65 and older. According to a Carnigie Mellon university study, "The facility rate for drivers 75 and older is four times higher than it is for teenagers who are usually pegged as our most reckless drivers." this proves that there are more risks in elderly people and that they are dangerous on the road. Therefore they are more likely to get involved in a vehicle crash.

• They should drive !

Elderly or not, if they're capable of driving then why not? Most driving accidents involve young adults and teenagers. Should they not be allowed to drive either? It's an issue of experience and maturity in their case and an issue of physical ability in the case of elderly drivers. Not all old people should be allowed to drive but at the same time not all young people should be allowed on the road, either.

• Age is not the Issue

There is no magical age at witch the elderly can not drive beaus ability deteriorates at different rates for different people. Imposing a rigid maximum age is to inflexible. A more flexible means is to administer regular retests to drivers over a certain age and require a retest if an individual is in a fate accident or two to three with in a years time. There is no magical age at witch the elderly can not drive beaus ability deteriorates at different rates for different people.

• Age isn't the Issue

In general old people are less likely to cause accidents than young people. They frequently go to the Doctors office and are checked for eyesight, hearing etc. Also elderly people rarely drive recklessly but rather they drive slower and driving slower is not unsafe unless it's taken to an extreme.Put yourself in there shoes and imagine if you were that age and you were forced to have your drivers license taken away. I don't think we would be to happy either because we would needed to be transported everywhere we were going.They also have much experience when it comes to driving and so if they are going to the doctors office frequently its completely fine if they are on the road.

• Elder people...No driving!

Should elders over the age of 65 be allowed to drive?
    No, elders over the age 65 shouldn’t drive. It’s no longer safe for them to drive on roads. It can be really dangerous and risky because they don’t listen when cars honk, their vision is bad, slow reflexes, are in need of medications for certain activities, health conditions, and since they don’t stretch that often then their muscles are weak. When you’re over aged then you can tell when you aren’t in conditions of driving, you get to many tickets, bump into cars, or get mad easily. It’s not that we don’t want over aged people to drive, it because were worried about them. Elders can die any second at any place. We know that elders now have had more experience than use us at driving but if they want to drive then they need to retake the driving test or drive with an adult. It’s most likely for elders not to pass depending on their weakness. Elders have a choice of no driving or with an adult.

• Elders shouldn't drive!!

Yes, they have so much experience. But they are not going to be able to drive forever, Elders shouldn't drive because their vision and hearing starts to go and they have slow reaction time. Studies show that when you turn 24 your reaction time starts to slow down. If elderly drive it just makes the risk of others deaths a lot higher then when they don't drive.

• Because they are people too.

• Retaking Drivers Test

People over the age of seventy-five should retake their drivers tests for many reasons. They could possibly be a road hazard driving, by their reaction time being slow, or driving too slow. This preposition should be made into a low for not just the safety of older people, but the safety of others, too.

• Retaking Drivers Test

• Please NO! No!

Please NO , if the 83 year old that hit me on the freeway had been more responsible id be able to walk. I was the passenger on the freeway side swiped when a senior changed lanes and hit the passenger door, AKA my door at 65 mph. She told the CHP she didn't see us. Fiasco, not to mention the sad sad method of abuse someone not at fault gets from insurance companies. AAA. I wonder how many others she has hurt?
    As we get older our responses are slower, vision is compromised, medications taken also have reactions. She was to wear glass alot of good an exam is worth, when she didn't have them on.

• NO, It makes life for us and them more dangerous.

More than 80% of people over 70 have arthritis, making twisting, turning, and flexing painful. In other words it is painful for most elders to turn the steering wheel, step on the gas pedal, step on the break pedal, check blind spots, and do other things essential to driving. We should also factor in loss of hearing and eyesight.

• Elderly can die at any second!

Anyone can die on any second but elderly have a 70% death probability since they're old, they should have their own little bus that drives them around. Imagine that your in the freeway and an elder had a heart attack all the sudden! Its too dangerous for them and us to drive.

• Please NO , if the 83 year old that hit me on the freeway had been more responsible id be able to walk.

I was the passenger on the freeway side swiped when a senior changed lanes and hit the passenger door, AKA my door at 65 mph. She told the CHP she didnt see us. Fiasco, not to mention the sad sad method of abuse someone not at fault gets from insurance companies. AAA. I wonder how many others she has hurt?
    As we get older our responses are slower, vision is compromised, medications taken also have reactions. She was to wear glass alot of good an exam is worth, when she didnt have them on.

• Elderly driving should be regulated

I was just in a bad accident where the culprit was an elderly woman of the age of 77. She t-boned me while making a left turn when traffic was not clear. This and many accidents could be avoided if elderly driving was better regulated by the State. Their reaction time gets slower over time and they can't think and make fast decisions in a clear and safe manner!