• Basing someone's ability to drive only on their age is very discriminatory and unfair.

My father was driving up to the age of 88. Of course the reason he was able to do this was because at that point of time he was living in Costa Rita. Once her returned to BC, his driving license was immediately taken away from him. He never has an accident and drove from one end of North America & S. America to the other. There should be other ways to evaluate a person's driving besides their age!!!

• Because they are people too.

They deserve the same treatment we get and shouldn't be treated any different. I think that if the elderly cant drive then why should teens be able to drive. They are at high risk of dying too. Elders have a lot of experience with driving. They know how to be responsible on the road.

• I believe that old people shouldn't drive because

Seeing problem at night because it be too dark at night and even with the head lights on it's still dark for old people to see. Also tir
    edness because old people are allways tired because if they are tired they might crash and put there self in danger. Last but not least driving alone sometimes if old people drive alone they might fall a sleep or might even crash for accidentally falling a sleep at the wheel. P.S if you have a old person out there make sure you check up on them daily.

• Elderly are normal people, so why not?

In my opinion, the elderly should be allowed to drive. I think this is so, because they are more experienced, and they are careful most of the time. Should we start taking younger people off of the road, just because they have a family history of heart attacks? And to alot of elderly, driving might be one of their last bits of independance. Would like to live in a home with a 24 hr care doing everything for you, and not being able to do anything by yourself? I think not!

• I think old people are cool.

I have never seen an old person cause an accident. What's the support for the claim that they lose their mental faculties? 82% of old people drive the way they eat and that is carefully and methodically. 20% of old people drive fast, and that just gets the there quicker.

• No,they are more likely to get in a car crash

Drivers aged 75 years or older have a higher risk (per distance traveled) of being killed in a car crash than any other age group. In a study released by highway traffic safety administration in 2009, statistic shows that 16% of traffic fatalities were among people age 65 and older. According to a Carnigie Mellon university study, "The facility rate for drivers 75 and older is four times higher than it is for teenagers who are usually pegged as our most reckless drivers." this proves that there are more risks in elderly people and that they are dangerous on the road. Therefore they are more likely to get involved in a vehicle crash.

• They should drive !

Elderly or not, if they're capable of driving then why not? Most driving accidents involve young adults and teenagers. Should they not be allowed to drive either? It's an issue of experience and maturity in their case and an issue of physical ability in the case of elderly drivers. Not all old people should be allowed to drive but at the same time not all young people should be allowed on the road, either.

• Age is not the Issue

There is no magical age at witch the elderly can not drive beaus ability deteriorates at different rates for different people. Imposing a rigid maximum age is to inflexible. A more flexible means is to administer regular retests to drivers over a certain age and require a retest if an individual is in a fate accident or two to three with in a years time. There is no magical age at witch the elderly can not drive beaus ability deteriorates at different rates for different people.

• Age isn't the Issue

In general old people are less likely to cause accidents than young people. They frequently go to the Doctors office and are checked for eyesight, hearing etc. Also elderly people rarely drive recklessly but rather they drive slower and driving slower is not unsafe unless it's taken to an extreme.Put yourself in there shoes and imagine if you were that age and you were forced to have your drivers license taken away. I don't think we would be to happy either because we would needed to be transported everywhere we were going.They also have much experience when it comes to driving and so if they are going to the doctors office frequently its completely fine if they are on the road.

• Age isn't the problem.

Elderly or not, if they're capable of driving then why not? Most driving accidents involve young adults and teenagers. Should they not be allowed to drive either? It's an issue of experience and maturity in their case and an issue of physical ability in the case of elderly drivers. Not all old people should be allowed to drive but at the same time not all young people should be allowed on the road, either. Our society as a whole is growing older and the average age is rising. Age isn't the problem and we shouldn't take away the independence of the elderly because of common stereotypes that they're incapable, weak, and just too old. In the future when we all live past 100 this argument will be obsolete.

• 80+ shouldn't be able to drive!

So many times I see elder drivers switch lanes without turning their heads! Elder drivers can not keep up with the speed limit/ speed of traffic and brake way to much even when they are not near the car in front of them, on the highway!!! So dangerous and they NEVER EVER go over if your behind them they will continue driving 55/60 on a 2 lane highway literally causing a line of traffic! Why? Because they think they're driving safely, when in reality causing
    Unnecessary issues on the road. Don't drive if you cant handle at least going the speed limit and being respectful of other drivers on the road. Old ppl are awesome, just NOT when they drive!!!!!!

• Not only no but HELL NO

Today an elderly woman nearly backed into my car. Even after i slammed on my horn for 20 seconds, she proceeded to back up. She and many alike are a serious danger to the road. Another thing is that they are so indecisiveness in any situation that requires quick thinking. Its such a hazard. There should be a test every year after turning 70 to determine if you can still drive.

• Not only no but HELL NO

• Not only no but HELL NO

• Its just my thoughts but,

I'm not really fawned of discriminating someone on something so little as to their age, but I don't think that elderly people should be able to drive due to their eye sight, and that most ( like my grandfather) whom speeds with children in the vehicle.

I for one say know to elderly drivers.

• Nay ! !

The elderly are the second largest group of accidents despite being a minority on the road. Muscle stiffness, bad vision, worsen spacial awareness and the deterioration of the speed at which we process information are all unavoidable things that happen when we grow older and all make driving more difficult and while it is impossible to determine at what age it happens to a person the risk is too great, and we do the same thing to teens by saying that they cant drive until they are a certain age despite the fact that many are qualified.

• No Way in hell

After 70 or so they should not be driving. They're slow and 40% of accidents are caused by the these old geezers. Whoever says yes needs to get their brain scanned, I've almost got hit by another car many times when driving and the driver was always an old person, they're always at fault when it happens.

• They are dangerous!!!!

I just had a car accident, it was minor and no one got injured, but it was very traumatic for me, and causing damage on car. An 80 year old woman ran into my car, while i was stopping at the freakin red lights!!! Lucky there was a car in front of me, imagine if i was in the first row of traffic light, then i would have been pushed onto the upcoming traffic!!! And what amazed me was, that old woman didn't think it was her fault, and she blamed me instead! What the heck!!! Being old sucks enough, but being stupid?!?!?!
    She also unbelieveably asked us "why did you stop?" When she said that, it's clearly stated that she is unfit to drive! What a dumb question!!! Already reported her to get her license reviewed or cancelled.
    I must say, the elderly are at higher risk in driving and can harm other drivers or other road users. Whoever said that elderly people can drive with full license, please think logically, are you guys waiting until more accidents happen caused by non-liable/non-eligible elderly people? If you still think that they can drive, you must have an accident first, then you'll understand what i mean

• Tests are the solution

I think that elderly people should be tested whether they are still able to drive or not. As many users already said, many elderly people have problems with their ears and their eyes. They can't see as good as they could when they were younger. But I don't think that it is necessary to prohibit driving for all old people. Regular tests for people over 60 who still want to drive should be fine. These tests could tell these people whether they are still able to drive or not and they would save lives!

• Age 75+ take mandatory drivers test

Some elderly really do not belong on the road, I've been behind elderly drivers dead stopped at green lights...Continuously cut off by them because they have little to no depth perception, so many close calls because of an elderly driver. I believe mandatory drivers test should be taken at a certain age