• Basing someone's ability to drive only on their age is very discriminatory and unfair.

My father was driving up to the age of 88. Of course the reason he was able to do this was because at that point of time he was living in Costa Rita. Once her returned to BC, his driving license was immediately taken away from him. He never has an accident and drove from one end of North America & S. America to the other. There should be other ways to evaluate a person's driving besides their age!!!

• Because they are people too.

They deserve the same treatment we get and shouldn't be treated any different. I think that if the elderly cant drive then why should teens be able to drive. They are at high risk of dying too. Elders have a lot of experience with driving. They know how to be responsible on the road.

• I believe that old people shouldn't drive because

Seeing problem at night because it be too dark at night and even with the head lights on it's still dark for old people to see. Also tir
    edness because old people are allways tired because if they are tired they might crash and put there self in danger. Last but not least driving alone sometimes if old people drive alone they might fall a sleep or might even crash for accidentally falling a sleep at the wheel. P.S if you have a old person out there make sure you check up on them daily.

• Elderly are normal people, so why not?

In my opinion, the elderly should be allowed to drive. I think this is so, because they are more experienced, and they are careful most of the time. Should we start taking younger people off of the road, just because they have a family history of heart attacks? And to alot of elderly, driving might be one of their last bits of independance. Would like to live in a home with a 24 hr care doing everything for you, and not being able to do anything by yourself? I think not!

• I think old people are cool.

I have never seen an old person cause an accident. What's the support for the claim that they lose their mental faculties? 82% of old people drive the way they eat and that is carefully and methodically. 20% of old people drive fast, and that just gets the there quicker.

• No,they are more likely to get in a car crash

Drivers aged 75 years or older have a higher risk (per distance traveled) of being killed in a car crash than any other age group. In a study released by highway traffic safety administration in 2009, statistic shows that 16% of traffic fatalities were among people age 65 and older. According to a Carnigie Mellon university study, "The facility rate for drivers 75 and older is four times higher than it is for teenagers who are usually pegged as our most reckless drivers." this proves that there are more risks in elderly people and that they are dangerous on the road. Therefore they are more likely to get involved in a vehicle crash.

• They should drive !

Elderly or not, if they're capable of driving then why not? Most driving accidents involve young adults and teenagers. Should they not be allowed to drive either? It's an issue of experience and maturity in their case and an issue of physical ability in the case of elderly drivers. Not all old people should be allowed to drive but at the same time not all young people should be allowed on the road, either.

• Age is not the Issue

There is no magical age at witch the elderly can not drive beaus ability deteriorates at different rates for different people. Imposing a rigid maximum age is to inflexible. A more flexible means is to administer regular retests to drivers over a certain age and require a retest if an individual is in a fate accident or two to three with in a years time. There is no magical age at witch the elderly can not drive beaus ability deteriorates at different rates for different people.

• Age isn't the Issue

In general old people are less likely to cause accidents than young people. They frequently go to the Doctors office and are checked for eyesight, hearing etc. Also elderly people rarely drive recklessly but rather they drive slower and driving slower is not unsafe unless it's taken to an extreme.Put yourself in there shoes and imagine if you were that age and you were forced to have your drivers license taken away. I don't think we would be to happy either because we would needed to be transported everywhere we were going.They also have much experience when it comes to driving and so if they are going to the doctors office frequently its completely fine if they are on the road.

• Age isn't the problem.

Elderly or not, if they're capable of driving then why not? Most driving accidents involve young adults and teenagers. Should they not be allowed to drive either? It's an issue of experience and maturity in their case and an issue of physical ability in the case of elderly drivers. Not all old people should be allowed to drive but at the same time not all young people should be allowed on the road, either. Our society as a whole is growing older and the average age is rising. Age isn't the problem and we shouldn't take away the independence of the elderly because of common stereotypes that they're incapable, weak, and just too old. In the future when we all live past 100 this argument will be obsolete.

• Elderly Shouldn't drive

Once I hit the range of age I won't drive and I'll stick by that rule.... I wouldn't risk it, with old age my vision and hearing wouldn't be the during my younger years. I got hit by an elderly lady once and didn't get mad at her though she was shaken thinking that I would retaliate but I know better hope she gets the point the not to step behind a car again to do it over... Because you only need one accident to happen and it could be you or your kids and you acted to late and thus a life is loss because of it.

• No they should not drive.

Almost got run off the road countless times by elderly drivers. Elderly lady drove 45mph on a 10mph in front of Walmart store.
    I almost got side swipe off the road by a elderly man pulling out of the lot , I got the right of way, thought he was gonna stop for traffic , nope , he just speed out into my lane and drive away as nothing happened.
    From close encounter experience yes they should not be driving. I understands that we too will get old but for the safety of others who may carry children passengers.
    Those of you that think they should be allow to drive will sing a different tune when you or your loved ones is taking away in a car accidents cause by a elderly driver.

• 80 yrs of age cut off!

Let's face it, everything slows down as we age. I've watched my very fit independant mother in law, now 75 yrs of age, become a nervous, scatty and oblivious driver over the past 10 yrs. I would never let my children be driven around by her over a 5 km area range. The elderlys's peripheral vision is a real concern.

• I dont believe they should

I feel like they shouldnt be permitted after a certain age because its not like theyre going anywhere and they have family if they need to go somewhere. It helps reduce crashes by alto and it also helps save the environnement in some way by reducing the amount of pollution of all thèse extra (dangerous) drivers.

• Lack of surroundings

They are incapable of reacting to the surroundings in any direction, they for some reason go extremely slow, sometimes going less than 10 mph, when they start to come of age they need to retake their tests to see if they are still eligible to drive. And most accidents by young adults are caused by a person of age.

• No more old people

They drive too slowly, and are a danger to themselves and everybody else. Everyone should have to retake a test at 60, and every five years after that. To be fair, the driving test is too easy to pass anyway, hence the terrible standard of driving you see today. I'm sure some people get their licence free in a packet of corn flakes!

• Yes, with a renewed and passed driving exam

Most of these people are unintelligent! Nobody is singling out "old" people. We are simply saying there needs to be a age point in where the older drivers have to "prove" their ability to drive, much like the 16 yr old does. If they can't pass the road exam, they don't drive.

• If you can, then do!

Lots of people can drive, but lots of them can't. There are 80 year old people who are very capable of driving, but some 30 year old people can't. I think people should only drive if they are capable of driving and people shouldn't tell elders to not drive just because they are older than most people.

• Elder people...No driving!

Should elders over the age of 65 be allowed to drive?
    No, elders over the age 65 shouldn’t drive. It’s no longer safe for them to drive on roads. It can be really dangerous and risky because they don’t listen when cars honk, their vision is bad, slow reflexes, are in need of medications for certain activities, health conditions, and since they don’t stretch that often then their muscles are weak. When you’re over aged then you can tell when you aren’t in conditions of driving, you get to many tickets, bump into cars, or get mad easily. It’s not that we don’t want over aged people to drive, it because were worried about them. Elders can die any second at any place. We know that elders now have had more experience than use us at driving but if they want to drive then they need to retake the driving test or drive with an adult. It’s most likely for elders not to pass depending on their weakness. Elders have a choice of no driving or with an adult.

• Elders shouldn't drive!!

Yes, they have so much experience. But they are not going to be able to drive forever, Elders shouldn't drive because their vision and hearing starts to go and they have slow reaction time. Studies show that when you turn 24 your reaction time starts to slow down. If elderly drive it just makes the risk of others deaths a lot higher then when they don't drive.