• Age is not the Issue

There is no magical age at witch the elderly can not drive beaus ability deteriorates at different rates for different people. Imposing a rigid maximum age is to inflexible. A more flexible means is to administer regular retests to drivers over a certain age and require a retest if an individual is in a fate accident or two to three with in a years time. There is no magical age at witch the elderly can not drive beaus ability deteriorates at different rates for different people.

• Age isn't the Issue

In general old people are less likely to cause accidents than young people. They frequently go to the Doctors office and are checked for eyesight, hearing etc. Also elderly people rarely drive recklessly but rather they drive slower and driving slower is not unsafe unless it's taken to an extreme.Put yourself in there shoes and imagine if you were that age and you were forced to have your drivers license taken away. I don't think we would be to happy either because we would needed to be transported everywhere we were going.They also have much experience when it comes to driving and so if they are going to the doctors office frequently its completely fine if they are on the road.

• Age isn't the problem.

Elderly or not, if they're capable of driving then why not? Most driving accidents involve young adults and teenagers. Should they not be allowed to drive either? It's an issue of experience and maturity in their case and an issue of physical ability in the case of elderly drivers. Not all old people should be allowed to drive but at the same time not all young people should be allowed on the road, either. Our society as a whole is growing older and the average age is rising. Age isn't the problem and we shouldn't take away the independence of the elderly because of common stereotypes that they're incapable, weak, and just too old. In the future when we all live past 100 this argument will be obsolete.

• It's not age...........

In most cases, it is the person's physical capacity that should be tested not just on age but physical ability. There are young people in their teens who shouldn't be driving. They scare me more than elderly drivers sometimes because of their reckless and lack of proper training and experience.

However, if a person is to the point where they need mobility equipment to walk then this is getting to the point of inability to drive also. A few weeks ago I was in a restaurant in the early afternoon with family. An elderly man who could barely walk with the help of a quad (four legged) cane was barely working. He had a set of keys attached to his belt. He was also shaking very badly which meant his gait was weak. I am a former nurse aide with specialized training interacting with Alzheimer patients. I am also a trained medical assistant. I had to quit work because of a torn rotator cuff about 6 years ago. If a person can barely balance themselves and need mobility tools then they need tested by the state or state doctor to be allowed to drive. I am not basing this on an age. I am basing my "yes" on the individual person and just not a number correlating to their age. I have a family friend who father in nearly 90 and can drive better than some people in the their 30s. He is still mentally sharp, good motor skills, eyesight, and hearing. He is still very safe and capable of driving. However, if a person who can barely walk and shuffles their feet, then I would draw the line and take away the keys and their driving privilege. They do not have the dexterity to operate a 26K car.

Most people have children or friends to help them get around. Some don't have any family at all and still try to drive just to get groceries. There needs to be either government help or better transportation for the older elderly. Just because a person reaches 60 doesn't mean it's necessary to take away their privileges. Each person should be tested yes, but tested fairly on physical ability and not just their numbered age.

• The elderly should drive

They should be allowed to drive because it gives them a sense of independence. They need help with everything and driving is particularly one thing they can do on their own to get to and from places. I think that if they want to drive they have to go to an eye doctor every month or so, mandated by law, and get their eyes checked out. But if the eye doctor says that their eyes are going bad than they need to inform the DMV and arrange other means of transportation.

• I believe that elderly people should not be able to drive.

They should not be able to drive because they lack good eyesight, good hearing and good reflexes. Most elderly people take medications which are known to impair driving greatly. They cause many accidents by forgetting to put their blinker on, mistaking turns, and not seeing passengers on the street.

• Yes, if they can pass an annual test.

Skills can decline fairly rapidly among the elderly, so they should have to pass a test every year in order to renew their license. They should recognize that this is for the safety of others and for themselves as well. After teens, old people are the next most dangerous set of drivers.

• The elderly may or may not be competent.

I believe that there are a good number of elderly folks who are more than competent enough to be operating a motor vehicle. However, we all know from experience that an aging person may sometimes lack the reflexes and overall capacity to safely drive as well. My solution would be an annual driver's assessment (e.g. in Michigan, on your birthday, you renew your registration, so why not do it then) once you are considered a "Senior Citizen." By most standard definitions that is between 55 and 65 years of age.

• Age is not the issue

There are plenty of young adults who cannot drive responsibly, should we take away their right to drive? If the elderly person has no issue physically then I don't see the issue in saying they shouldn't able to drive. If the issue is physical, then we are misdiagnosing the reason. It shouldn't "should elderly people drive" but "should people with sight impairments drive" and so on.

• No Elderly Should Not Drive!

If a person is visually or hearing impaired, should we, as responsible adults and adolescents, hand these elderly folks the car keys and say, "Drive the car, grandma!" If they can no longer obey the rules of the road and are not up to date on the new dangers on the roads, like roundabouts, they should not be driving. I agree that they should be retested and that teens are not all that great of drivers either but teens can see, elderly cannot.

• Age is a issue

They don't know what there doing. I had my car crash because of a 68 year old women! They should get there eyes checked cause they serouisly dont know what there doing like what the heck! If they get there eyes checked then yes they can drive on a road.

• A lot of older people do not know how to drive safely.

I obviously do not mean every old person. In fact, many are very good drivers. However, I have witnessed many old people driving irresponsibly and dangerously - I have had near misses on roundabouts because they either don't look or cannot see. All of these incidents have involved older people. The most recent was today when I was turning right at a roundabout and an old lady coming from my left pulled out in front of me, obviously not seeing me. I had to emergency stop and when I beeped my horn to signal my annoyance, she pointed at me as if I had done something wrong. I think they should be re-tested every year after the age of 60 to weed out those who are competent to drive and those who are not.

• Elderly shouldn't drive

They can't tell the difference between the left or right, they're deaf, they're blind as a bat, sometimes suffer from medical issues while driving, and they're the rudest drivers I've ever seen. Because of these imbeciles, there are so many cases of someone driving into oncoming traffic on the interstate or someone turning a grocery store into a drive-thru while people getting injured or killed.

• Elderly shouldn't drive

• Elderly people should not drive.

When I'm on the road most of the bad drivers I see are elderly people. I love my grandparents but my grandmother doesn't drive but my grandfather does but he lives out in the country and he doesn't even drive much and I don't even go in his car when he is driving.

• I was hit by an old person yesterday

For the most part, they are ok. However; a minority is still a large group of people in this case, and a lot of these people have sight, hearing and sense issues. The other day an old guy in a mini was swerving while I was walking along the pavement, and he curbed his mini and hit me in the shin. Ouch. Hospital for two days, and the funny thing is, I don't even think he notices.
    So yeah, ban old people from driving. It's a liability to insurance and for the general public it's dangerous.

• They should be retested every year after 65

As someone who has been rear ended twice by the elderly and nearly hit on the freeway. I believe the elderly should be retested every year, and not just a written but a driver's test. They have slower reaction times and could be a danger to themselves and others. I am not saying that all of them shouldn't drive by they do need to be retested, the older they get the more physical problems they get. From a stroke to a bad hip, all that could affect there driving.

• Dont be mean

Many elderly people can in fact drive remarkably well ! Yet I believe that they need to be tested every year after 65 . If they do not meet the criteria to be safe drivers and they are driving they are putting themselves and others in danger .Increased physical vunrability is brought on by aging and they do not heal quickly and well therefore in the event of an accident there is a higher risk of permanent injury and fatalities in elder drivers .

• Old means docile.

Old people driving are a danger to themselves and others. Old means most likely senile, docile and not 100% alert which is required for driving. I have known accidents that are the direct result of the elderly people. New laws should be submitted that allow only up to 80 years of age for drivers in my opinion. - 00NCB