• No,they are more likely to get in a car crash

Drivers aged 75 years or older have a higher risk (per distance traveled) of being killed in a car crash than any other age group. In a study released by highway traffic safety administration in 2009, statistic shows that 16% of traffic fatalities were among people age 65 and older. According to a Carnigie Mellon university study, "The facility rate for drivers 75 and older is four times higher than it is for teenagers who are usually pegged as our most reckless drivers." this proves that there are more risks in elderly people and that they are dangerous on the road. Therefore they are more likely to get involved in a vehicle crash.

• They should drive !

Elderly or not, if they're capable of driving then why not? Most driving accidents involve young adults and teenagers. Should they not be allowed to drive either? It's an issue of experience and maturity in their case and an issue of physical ability in the case of elderly drivers. Not all old people should be allowed to drive but at the same time not all young people should be allowed on the road, either.

• Age is not the Issue

There is no magical age at witch the elderly can not drive beaus ability deteriorates at different rates for different people. Imposing a rigid maximum age is to inflexible. A more flexible means is to administer regular retests to drivers over a certain age and require a retest if an individual is in a fate accident or two to three with in a years time. There is no magical age at witch the elderly can not drive beaus ability deteriorates at different rates for different people.

• Age isn't the Issue

In general old people are less likely to cause accidents than young people. They frequently go to the Doctors office and are checked for eyesight, hearing etc. Also elderly people rarely drive recklessly but rather they drive slower and driving slower is not unsafe unless it's taken to an extreme.Put yourself in there shoes and imagine if you were that age and you were forced to have your drivers license taken away. I don't think we would be to happy either because we would needed to be transported everywhere we were going.They also have much experience when it comes to driving and so if they are going to the doctors office frequently its completely fine if they are on the road.

• Age isn't the problem.

Elderly or not, if they're capable of driving then why not? Most driving accidents involve young adults and teenagers. Should they not be allowed to drive either? It's an issue of experience and maturity in their case and an issue of physical ability in the case of elderly drivers. Not all old people should be allowed to drive but at the same time not all young people should be allowed on the road, either. Our society as a whole is growing older and the average age is rising. Age isn't the problem and we shouldn't take away the independence of the elderly because of common stereotypes that they're incapable, weak, and just too old. In the future when we all live past 100 this argument will be obsolete.

• It's not age...........

In most cases, it is the person's physical capacity that should be tested not just on age but physical ability. There are young people in their teens who shouldn't be driving. They scare me more than elderly drivers sometimes because of their reckless and lack of proper training and experience.

However, if a person is to the point where they need mobility equipment to walk then this is getting to the point of inability to drive also. A few weeks ago I was in a restaurant in the early afternoon with family. An elderly man who could barely walk with the help of a quad (four legged) cane was barely working. He had a set of keys attached to his belt. He was also shaking very badly which meant his gait was weak. I am a former nurse aide with specialized training interacting with Alzheimer patients. I am also a trained medical assistant. I had to quit work because of a torn rotator cuff about 6 years ago. If a person can barely balance themselves and need mobility tools then they need tested by the state or state doctor to be allowed to drive. I am not basing this on an age. I am basing my "yes" on the individual person and just not a number correlating to their age. I have a family friend who father in nearly 90 and can drive better than some people in the their 30s. He is still mentally sharp, good motor skills, eyesight, and hearing. He is still very safe and capable of driving. However, if a person who can barely walk and shuffles their feet, then I would draw the line and take away the keys and their driving privilege. They do not have the dexterity to operate a 26K car.

Most people have children or friends to help them get around. Some don't have any family at all and still try to drive just to get groceries. There needs to be either government help or better transportation for the older elderly. Just because a person reaches 60 doesn't mean it's necessary to take away their privileges. Each person should be tested yes, but tested fairly on physical ability and not just their numbered age.

• The elderly should drive

They should be allowed to drive because it gives them a sense of independence. They need help with everything and driving is particularly one thing they can do on their own to get to and from places. I think that if they want to drive they have to go to an eye doctor every month or so, mandated by law, and get their eyes checked out. But if the eye doctor says that their eyes are going bad than they need to inform the DMV and arrange other means of transportation.

• I believe that elderly people should not be able to drive.

They should not be able to drive because they lack good eyesight, good hearing and good reflexes. Most elderly people take medications which are known to impair driving greatly. They cause many accidents by forgetting to put their blinker on, mistaking turns, and not seeing passengers on the street.

• Yes, if they can pass an annual test.

Skills can decline fairly rapidly among the elderly, so they should have to pass a test every year in order to renew their license. They should recognize that this is for the safety of others and for themselves as well. After teens, old people are the next most dangerous set of drivers.

• The elderly may or may not be competent.

I believe that there are a good number of elderly folks who are more than competent enough to be operating a motor vehicle. However, we all know from experience that an aging person may sometimes lack the reflexes and overall capacity to safely drive as well. My solution would be an annual driver's assessment (e.g. in Michigan, on your birthday, you renew your registration, so why not do it then) once you are considered a "Senior Citizen." By most standard definitions that is between 55 and 65 years of age.

• More precisely they can drive if they can pass a normal driver's test

I don't think a person should be able to get a license at 16 and have that for the rest of their lives. I think at a certain age you should have to take the test again and then again more frequently as you get older. Older drivers do not have the same reaction time, the same perception of everything around them or don't notice all the traffic signs and signal. Just today I was in a two turn lane, me in the right and an elderly man in the left. As we made the turn he simply came into the right lane without even looking and forced me to dive to the shoulder and slam on my brakes. This has happened numerous times before too. The intersection was clearly marked with signs and dashed turn lines but it did no good.

• They should't drive

They drive too slow and get a car accident. People can get depesperate that elderly people drive to slow so they could crash them if they go to fats or something. Also they drive too slow and they stop the traffic and many car addicents can happen . And many have health problesm and they can get a heart attack while driving . So people older then 70 shouldnt drive .

• They should't drive

• Slow reaction time

My grandmother had recently picked me up for my piano lessons and I was late, I proceeded to tell her and she slammed on the gas peddle. Before I could react we had already passed through a stop sign and she started to cry. I comforted her but truthfully she could have killed the both of us.

• If they cannot pass a physical and a driving test, they shouldn't drive.

I work in a nursing home/ independent living facility. Many of the residents are fine to drive. But there are also many that cannot see, hear, remember, and move as quickly as needed to be able to drive. It is a hazard to everyone on the streets. Not saying teenagers are any better, but at least they ( for the most part ) improve their driving skills.

• First of all, as us humans age,

We tend to start losing our five senses. Especially on the road, you need your Eyesight and your Hearing skills, thus, increasing the risks for elderly people driving in the car. They could start losing sight of traffic signals and pedestrians crossing the road. This, will not only actually risk the car drivers, but everyone around them as well, making the situation a whole lot more complicated.

• Incompetent & Unaware

Young can be unsafe at times but with experience become better drivers. Seniors on the other hand have no respect for the law knowing they can pull a pity card with their age. Anyone can memorize the written test. Mandatory semi annual driving tests for anyone over 65 need to be done. I was a pedestrian crossing the road and an 80 yr old crone slammed into me running a red light. She then proceeded to hit me again before attempting to flee the scene yelling she had the right away as a senior citizen. Get these idiots off the road and into a psych ward!

• I don't think Elder people should drive

One example they need to get their ears checked because it difficult for them to hear . Another example is paying attention to the road because it important. If they failed to do that process they should have young adult drive them around. It is also good to have parents around to see how well they are driving. Before getting into an accident.

• No Elderly Should Not Drive!

If a person is visually or hearing impaired, should we, as responsible adults and adolescents, hand these elderly folks the car keys and say, "Drive the car, grandma!" If they can no longer obey the rules of the road and are not up to date on the new dangers on the roads, like roundabouts, they should not be driving. I agree that they should be retested and that teens are not all that great of drivers either but teens can see, elderly cannot.

• Age is a issue

They don't know what there doing. I had my car crash because of a 68 year old women! They should get there eyes checked cause they serouisly dont know what there doing like what the heck! If they get there eyes checked then yes they can drive on a road.