Should employers allow workers to have romantic relationships with one another?

• Yeah into that

Oh yeah. There is this girl at my work and she is fine. Like you know what im saying. Please dont be thinkin of me as some lame as dude who just goes around pullin. Na i aint about that life. But this bitch she is something spcial. She is quirky and smart and her smile is just yes, i would have totally asked her out but then i would be fired and then i would die from starvation so that would kinda suck.

• Being fired for falling in love just doesn't make sense.

We can't help who we fall in love with, just like was can't choose our skin color, gender or sexual orientation. If it is illegal to fire someone for anything else that they cannot control, why should love be any different?
    My employer won't allow managers and their subordinates to date. The love of my life just got promoted and I didn't. Now I have to choose between loosing my job, working at another location that will add another 10 mins to my commute (one day of work will almost pay for the weeks worth of gas), or cutting off all ties with my (hopefully soon-to-be) Fiancée.

• I feel employers are not the relationship police.

I feel if mature individuals want to have a relationship its their business and no employer has control over mature consenting adults. Mature individuals will know how to keep their relationship out of the scrutiny of others. I am convinced that if you have good workers and they get into to a relationship it up to them to secure their employment by not acting out on the job if they have a disagreement.

• I support office relationships; it is counter-productive to assign black-and-white categories that restrict dating.

I support office relationships since you never know when or where you are going to find the perfect person for you. If things don't work out, it can be difficult and awkward, but as long as neither party is the other's superior, it can be worth taking the risk.

Posted by: FilthyLucas60
  • Employers should allow workers to have romantic relationships with one another, because they will have them either way.

If employers don't allow romantic relationships in the office, that doesn't necessarily mean that two individuals won't date. They will most likely date behind the employers back, which is not good, because then they will be promoting dishonesty in the work place, rather than just being upfront and open about it, which wouldn't be a problem, in my eyes.

Posted by: AnnoyedDong77
  • I believe that the romantic relationships that two individuals choose to have is sacred, and should not be prevented because of career choices.

Following your heart can mean many different things. I do not believe that a romantic relationship should have anything, whatsoever, to do with a career. These are two different situations and should be handled as such. In most reasonable relationships, a career will not be influenced, whatsoever, by anyone involved in the relationship. The person does not have to one-up on any of their co-workers. Love is love.

Posted by: MycaDemon
  • Workers should be allowed to have romantic relationships, as companies cannot police individuals' personal lives.

Companies cannot dictate the personal lives of their employees and, therefore, they should no be allowed to forbid romantic relationships. Many people spend the bulk of their waking hours at work. Therefore, it is inevitable that people will connect beyond their professional relationships. Since personal relationships between supervisors and lower-ranking employees can have a negative impact on the company as a whole, in terms of opening up the liability to sexual harassment suits or unfair promotions and other compensations, companies do need to have policies in place that can handle those possibilities, such as separating individuals that are personally involved.

Posted by: P3nrIin
  • I think that it is unfair to say that someone cant have a romantic relationship with someone in their workplace.

I think employers have the right and a lot of say in many areas however I think that a persons relationships or personal life is not one of these areas. People usually spend a majority of there time at work so I'm sure that it would be pretty easy to start a romantic relationship with someone you work with. I don't think your workplace has the right to say no to this. However, even if in a romantic relationship it would still be important to maintain a professional manner at work.

Posted by: WiryNicholas79
  • I feel employers should allow workers to have romantic relationships within a company.

Romantic relationships should be permitted within a company. The company should not ban this. Becoming romantically involved with another employee is one of the most common ways to become involved in a relationship. I personally met my fianc? on the job. If the company had been successful in not allowing relationships within the work place, we may not have come as far as we have.

Posted by: TickoCa22
  • I think employers should allow their workers to have a romantic relationship with their co worker as long as that their work is not affected.

We as a human being have the right to express our freedom to love and be loved. I think employers should allow their workers to have a romantic relationship in their work place as long as it does not affect the performance of their work. What really matters is that you do your job well.

Posted by: H4miJame
  • Conflict of Interest

Workplace romances, especially government employees, have a detrimental and dangerous effect on honesty and on confidentiality. If two people are involved outside of the workplace, they can in effect cover for each other, and can end up doing great damage to the Agency for which they work. There is every opportunity for off duty discussion of workplace issues outside of the normal talking that will take place. The television shows that portray policemen busily dating other people at their Agency is a Hollywood farce that would never be tolerated in any law-enforcement, security-type environment.

• Whil

While everyone has the right to be loved and find love, is the work place needed to encounter that? I comprehend many have little to no time on their hands for going out and finding love. But this can bring issues to the table such conflict due to personal problems. Jealousy can be a factor... A relationship can end and it can make the workplace an uncomfortable place for not only the couple but coworkers.

• The work place is a place to work, and romantic relationships need to stay outside of that environment.

I once worked for a college sports department and, to my dismay, found my two female supervisors were not only lesbians, but married to one another. This was at a time when a person's sexual orientation was shunned, and work relationships were not allowed to be romantic. That said, working in an environment where they were not only married, but somewhat in the closet, was not only uncomfortable, but frustrating, as when there were work-related decisions, there was no free speech for me. How things went was determined by 1 woman and, if I didn't like it, I had no where to turn. After all, her wife couldn't dispute her decision, could she?

Posted by: FrequentSal49
  • I oppose employees having relationships with one another, because it can cause problems in the work place.

I don't think employers should allow co-workers to be involved in romantic relationships because, if the relationship falls apart, it could cause a lot of problems at the place they work. They could end up arguing all the time, and that would look bad on the employees, themselves, and the business, as a whole, if it is happening at work.

Posted by: NollBad
  • Personal lives and professional lives should always be separated.

Unless you and your significant other have a family owned business together, you should not be working together. I don't care what anyone says about being able to keep your personal problems at home. I have seen first-hand hundreds of co-workers complaining about their significant others at work. I can only imagine how it would be if that other person was actually there! No thank you!

Posted by: 5h4yGlory
  • I disagree that employers should allow employees to have relationships with one another because it is disruptive.

Not only is it disruptive but it affects productivity. When I was an employer I also did not allow my employees to date our customers. Even a dog knows not to poop where it eats. Employees fraternizing in that manner is bad for employee morale and bad for business because when it all blows up, everyone suffers from the fallout.

Posted by: N3vinFace
  • It happens, but it is generally not healthy for the work environment.

Work relationships have a lot of dependencies. People make large personal concessions in order to be able to work together. Those concessions get harder if the kinds of issues that love relationships can involve become a part of the environment. Also, it forces all of the co-workers of the couple who have to work with them closely to be a part of their personal and romantic lives.

Posted by: NikiM5n
  • No, because romantic relationships on the job often can hinder work performance.

On the face of it, no, I do not believe in romantic relationships, however, if the situation does occur, then one of those involved should leave the job. In many instances, these type of relationships can go sour, resulting in either end a break-up or divorce, which can lead to a hostile workplace environment.

Posted by: Quibarce
  • No, office romances shouldn't be allowed, breakups can be nasty.

Allowing people to be romantically involved at work is a bad idea, although not allowing it isn't very enforceable. People break up, tempers flare and there can be episodes of violence as a result. In extreme cases like those, innocent bystanders or co-workers can be injured or worse. While it can't reasonably be truly controlled, every effort should be made to dissuade workplace romances from occurring.

Posted by: PinkMych