Should English be the official language of the United States?

• English is better than the rest

I think that English is the best language because it doesn't make you sound angry when you speak (Germans) or just sound plain stupid (Spanish) or sound the same with every word you speak (Chinese and Japanese) The only other good language is French, but there aren't enough French speakers to make that the official language. Therefore, English is the best. (Unlike Egyptian or Russian or Chinese or Japanese and all those others)

• We speak English here and Chuck Norris is American.

Nobama. English should be the official language because the founders of the US were English-speaking people. The majority of people here speak English, and only all of our presidents have spoken English and had an American last name. If we do not make English the official language, the US will fall apart and the country I do not like (China) will take over the US.

• Yes, English should be U.S official language.

One language will bring everyone together into one. America is a country that is filled with many people from all over the world. It will be much easier to have just ONE language. Its so confusing and annoying having to press 1 or 2 for English or Spanish when trying to talk to a customer representative. There should only be one option which is English. This way, everyone can understand each other perfectly.

• This is MURICA!

English should be the official language because most of our country speaks English. If we don't speak English as a first language, most of our country will fall apart because many people only speak English. Therefore, English should definitely be the language of The United States of America
    GO MURICA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Yes, America is the best

Yes, English should be the national language of America. Its so obvious that English is the most used language around the world. Of course, there's Spanish, but in America wherever you go and socialize everyone is speaking English. Its not like saying English should be the native language in Mexico. No, obviously Spanish is since everyone spoke that as their first language. Go America!

• Other countries are doing it, why won't we?

If other countries are able to have an official language, then the United States should be no different. Most areas speak primarily only English. If people want to immigrate to the United States, they should know how to speak the language, rather than the US not have an official language.

• It would be cheaper.

The U.S. spends billions of dollars making documents into foreign languages. If we made them all in English we would save money and not go into even more debt. Canada has two national languages and spends millions of dollars printing stuff in both languages. If they had one language they would save money, we would save money if we did the same.

• Yes English should be the United States official language.

Ever since our founding fathers came here, people of this country have spoken in English. All of America'a foundational documents are in English. Also an estimated 1.5 billion people around the world speak English. Most country's are teaching children how to speak English. Also when our ancestors came over to Ellis Island they needed and wanted to find jobs and fit in so they went out and took on the responsibility to learn English.

• Yes for English, because it's the most commonly spoken language in the U.S.

America was a British colony for many years before Independence. A majority of the population, both when America was a colony and up to today, speak English. "A June 2010 Harris Interactive poll, commissioned by U.S. English, found that 88 percent of respondents believe that English should be declared the official language of the United States. Further support came from 96 percent of Republicans, 83 percent of Democrats, 89 percent of Independents and 83 percent of Hispanics." (http://thehill.com/blogs/congress-blog/education/267601-make-english-our-official-language).

• Yes, to Preserve Historic Roots and Make Communication Easier.

English should be the official language for many reasons. There are many different languages spoken in the US. We cannot cater to all of them. Nobody can learn every language spoken in the US, therefore many immigrants chose to learn English on their arrival to the states anyway. It made life easier for them to learn English, since it is most commonly spoken here. Having English as an official language would provide uniform understanding. We were founded on English and that is how it should remain. We should not cater to other languages. Everyone can learn English and everyone in the United States should learn it.

• No English should not be the official language of the United States

English is our common language but it is not the only language spoken in the United States. People from other places that didn't know any English wouldn't know what to do in the United states. It would be really difficult for people that doesn't know any English

• No, English should not be the official language of the United States.

English is the most common language in the United States. but what about for those who don't know English? You can't force them to learn something they don't even know. And for those who don't know English might make mistakes and really fluent English speakers might make fun of them. That's why I don't think English should be the official language.

• Why is English any better than other languages?

It is a biased, outdated, and hypocritical view to believe that the English language is somehow superior to other global tongues. I have seen a lot of arguments for "well it's a matter of pride," or "English doesn't make you sound unintelligent," or "If you're going to immigrate, you need to assimilate into American Culture." However, these statements are completely off base! Who are you to say that your language is better just because you live in a country that predominantly speaks English? No one's language is the "correct" language. Language is language no matter what you speak. Are we going to deny someone education or a job or a livelihood simply because they don't speak the language we do? Well, maybe they don't speak our language. But the real question is why don't we speak theirs? There is no shame in bilingualism, and it's hypocritical if we expect people to understand us if we make no effort to understand them.

• English: The UNofficial Language

English should definitely NOT be the official language of the United States. Having multiple languages are what makes America a great country. Besides, even if we do make it the official language, other people will still speak their native language at home, and there is nothing we can do to stop them. Are we going to kill millions of people because they speak their native language at home? No, of course not!

• Population Rates will Plummet

By making an official language, which will most likely be English based upon the percentage of people that speak it in the US, we will not be promoting immigration. Although there is debate on whether immigration is a good thing or a bad thing there is one thing that is supported by facts, immigration is the reason for most of our population growth in the US. If we were to make an official language these immigrants will be less likely to come and our population growth would go even further into the negatives. This will cause the countries 'rating' to go down in the worldwide scale.

• English branches off other languages

During our life we learn more English words. Whether in High School or College, we learn the origin of the words. There is hardly ever a time where an English word comes from pure English. Most of the words branch off from Latin, German, Greek, French, etc. It also reminds immigrants of home. I'm not from the U.S. and I like to be reminded of the struggle my parents went through to get me here.

• Some People Here Are Really Ignorant:

I am a torn between which side to pick. My heart says that it shouldn't be an official language, but my head tells me otherwise. The fact that the majority of the population thought English was already the official language speaks volumes. The fact of the matter is (I would go into detail, but I don't want to write an essay here), English shouldn't be brutally imposed on everyone. After all, we do have 'rights.' However, English should be established as the language for business and commerce since the majority speak it. 87% of voters want 'English Only,' and is a large amount. No, I don't believe we should abolish multilingualism and go 'English Only ALL the time and EVERYTIME,' but I believe it is crucial that we establish that bridge of communication, at least in a professional setting. We cannot work together if we cannot communicate amongst each other.

• Yes English should be the official language of The United States of America

If you come to this country to live, you should adapt to our ways and our culture in everyday society that includes speaking English. As an American If I were to travel to a foreign country that spoke a different language the first thing I would do in planning the trip would be to purchase an American-to->>>>>> (what ever language that country speaks) dictionary in order to be able to understand and communicate with the indigenous people. If I were to move to another country that spoke another language I would be sure to learn that language if I planned on living in harmony and understanding what was going on around me.

• Other Countries Banned English So Why Us It

When I last checked 150 countries didn't speak English, so why make it the offical language? Plus, the only country where English is the offical language is England, the exact country we fought for independence. Yes, I know that America currently isn't feuding with England but do we really need to follow what they do? No, because America is its own country.

• English being the official language would be hypocritical.

We were all immigrants, and no one understood us when we first came here. English started in America as the smaller. But, now we want to run out all the other languages to make everything the same and have normalcy? Of course... Yet, we lie and say it's the "Great Melting Pot" and that we're all so creative and different. All false advertisement. We should let everyone continue speaking the way they do, and if anything has to change it should be encouragement to learn more languages, besides English, in schools, at a younger age, more fluently.