Should everyone in the world speak the same language: Would an universal language be beneficial culturally?

• The same language

Every benefits come with some sacrifices. If we don't carry out the "global language" just for the sake of the linguists and language teachers, the world will never be able to develop.
    Speaking same language all over the world will promote more liberal trade among nations, since it will be far easier to understand each other, which eventually will result in equality, and hence peaceful world.

• I support No

I thik that we could not all speak the same language because for example portuguese it would be lost because no one would speak it anymore on the planet kfjiofewofojojjoij uie e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e

• I support No

• A unified language does not help culture

There are 6910 languages on the planet, last I checked. Each one developed with the society that spoke it and so was customized to fit the needs and values of their respective societies. Removing a language and replacing it with the lingua franca would only serve to weaken the speakers native culture. That aside, it would be near impossible to make everyone on the planet speak the same language.

• Everyone should not speak the same language.

While it would indeed by beneficial in more respects than culturally alone, I do not believe everyone in the world should speak the same language. With each respective language, comes ages of knowledge that can only have been passed down in these languages. If we were to formulate a language that encompasses all, we would be inadvertently forgetting words that aren't available in all languages.

• No--cultural nuances would be lost

A universal language would not be beneficial culturally, because a lot of nuances would be lost in the process. Language isn't just a special way that people of different countries speak; it's also a reflection of certain ways that they think that is specific to that culture and that culture alone. For example, the French have an expression called jolie laide, which refers to a woman who is unconventionally beautiful. A universal language would not only gloss over uniquely French ideas like this, but cause France to lose a lot of its cultural identity. This would be true of all cultures forced to dump their own language in favor of a universal one.