Should Evolution and Creationism be taught in Public Schools?

• Yes, every theory should be

Equally displayed. Education is not indoctrination. Education is about opening the world to moldable minds. Kids are quite intelligent from a point of not having too much experience/bias. Given the opportunity they would research and determine on their own which side to believe e.g. Bio logos, Creationism, Evolution, big bang, etc. They should all be presented with bias to none. The classroom point to take away is that these are all theories and as such they are largely debated.

• Yes, Creationism and Evolution should be taught in Public schools.

Both Creationism and Evolution should be taught in Public schools, so that the students understand what both sides are about and can learn about both views, about what happened, when and how it happened.
    If someone would learn only from one side, and not both sides points of view, than they would never really have their own opinion, just the one that they were taught.

• Yes, Teach Both

People are always complaining about schools not teaching their side of the argument. The only way to please the vast majority of people is to teach both sides of the debate, and let the children decide for themselves. It would equally biased to teach only evolution as would be to teach only creationism.

• Yes, but Creationism should not be taught within science classes

Both should be taught within public schools, but Creationism should only be taught within the context of a religious studies class, in the same vein as other "Creation Stories" other religions have. Quite why it seems to have some clout as to why it belongs within a scientific class is beyond me, as it has nothing inherently more scientific about it than do Hindu, Egyptian or Nordic creation myths. Just because it is more popular in the west (Christianity that is) it doesn't make it more scientifically plausible, which is the standard any theory within science lessons is held to.

Evolution has earned its place within a science lesson as it subscribes to the scientific method of empiricism and experimental observation. Even if you don't believe it to be true, the fact that it makes claims in accordance with this empirical framework means it belongs in a science classroom more so than anywhere else. Creationism cannot claim the same.

• Yes, but only to a certain extent.

While I am an extremely firm believer in Evolution, I do believe that Creationism should be taught in public high schools, as should Evolution in religious schools. They are both extremely interesting concepts, which have storied histories dating back a long time.

The idea of Creationism is interesting, despite being very unrealistic and far-fetched. Students should get a chance to learn about the origins and reasons for belief in Creationism, whether through religious, historical, geopolitical, or philosophical standpoints.

Evolution is very realistic and makes much more sense logically than creationism, and is (for the most part) scientifically proven to be true. As a concept, it has helped solidify the separation of church and state as being legitimate, and despite being simple and boring, should be taught in schools alongside Creationism in order to give students the ability to choose what they believe in.

Again I state, I am a firm believer in Evolution, primarily because Creationism is bullshit. However, they are both interesting in their own rights, and I believe that they both have at least some reason to be taught. Most of all, it is important that we let students choose what they want to believe in.

• Creationism and evolution

Yes I think it is important to know both sides or views of how the world is seen and thought of this deeply supports the way the future will think maybe they will even come up with a different theory of how the world was created or when it was created.

• Public schools should be secular.

Public schools are for everybody of all races, religions, ethnicity, etc. Therefore, a public school should only teach scientifically-backed facts, not preferential to any religion. Unless the school offers a Religious Studies course, or is a private institution, Creationism has no place being taught as a fact on equal footing with evolution.

I also get the impression that many people who want Creationism to be taught are only talking about Christianity's version. If you want all theories to be considered equally, then we should also teach every religion's thoughts on creation. Shall we teach that the Earth was baked into existence in an oven, or that the whole universe hatched from an egg?

People would never graduate high school if you had to present every theory of origin, because there are so many belief systems. Which religion do you choose to teach?

• Only in religious studies

Unless you are taking a course on religion, it doesn't make sense to teach creationism. There is no scientific proof supporting it.

Science class if for scientifically studied and supported material. A scientific theory is a well-substantiated claim backed up with observation and experimentation. If we start adding religious "theories" to the mix, then we need to allow ALL religious "theories" into science class. For example, the pastafarians claim that gravity is actually their deity pushing down on people. This belief would need to be taught as an alternate "theory" to gravity.

Creationism isn't another "side" as some people seem to think. It is an unsubstantiated religious claim with no scientific evidence or basis. I could well decide that depths of the oceans are filled with oil, and since no one can reach there to prove otherwise insist that my "theory" be taught in schools. Equally silly to teaching creationism as tested science.

• Education before purported science.

Remember that law, separation of church and state? Allowing schools to begin teaching unsupported and irrational theories to the existence of life based on a 6,000 year old year and a hypothesized God with the ability of Magic is not going to advance anyone's education in any way. Creation is not a theory, it's an imagined idea to try and further convince people that God exists, it's indoctrination at it's finest. To allow such an idea to be taught in schools would be religious tyranny.

As a progressive student in Idaho if our schools were to begin teaching Creation (even just as a 'theory') I would immediately drop out. Unless science can find some proof or evidence that Creation is even probable there is no reason to accept it as a possible hypothesis to the existence of life.

• Most definitely not

As stated by others above, unless you have religious lessons, there is no reasonable logic behind teaching creationism. There should be options for students to have religious lessons according to their religion and an option for students who are not religious. I had this in my school and this system was more than adequate.

However, do not teach creationism or any sort of bible study, other than factual history or linguistically related, as religion does not have a place in the school system.

Posted by: WAM
  • No science to back creationism

Even though evolution is a theory there is credible scientific evidence to prove it is correct. New discoveries are being made to sure up and expand upon this premise. Creationism is based on theology which has no place in the school system. Families and religious groups are responsible for religious education. Not public schools. At a college level certainly courses can be offered in comparative religion or philosophy which would include creationist thought. Students at this age level have a better background in knowledge to research and discuss the topic objectively. Prior to college we need to stick to the basics that are known and backed by research and scientific data.

• Not in public schools

Public schools are supposed to be free of religious bias. Creationism is a religious ideology, it is not based on evidence or the natural world. The purpose of schools is to teach children what we know about the world around us to the best of our ability. If parents want to teach their children their personal beliefs and faith they are welcome to do so on their own time. To say that it should be taught in schools as an objectively valid alternative to evolution is ridiculous.

Keep in mind that I'm talking about public schools, I don't have a problem if a private religious school wants to teach both. I do have a problem if they teach Creation in science class though. Creationism is pretty much the opposite of science.

• Unless you are in a college class about religion or a private school, then no.

They are NOT two sides of an argument. That is ignorant of the thousands of ideas about the world.
    However evolution is taught in schools because it has been proven to occur. Bacteria is observed to evolve with changes in its environment, for example.
    The only thing creationism has is holy books (again, from thousands of religions with DIFFERENT ideas so it would never work.)
    When people say "The theory of Evolution" they are not saying it hasn't been proven either. (http://www.Sciencealert.Com/watch-theory-vs-hypothesis-vs-law-explained)

Also I am certain that most people (even god believers) wouldn't feel comfortable with their child learning about different religions because of the very possible preaching the teacher could end up doing. I don't think there should be a class on Atheism, so there shouldn't be one on religion either (unless in the situations stated in the title.)
    In history classes they already do a brief summary on different religions such as Islam, Christianity, Buddhism and many ancient religions (which is what I am actually learning right now.) I'd say that is enough to learn about religion. If they really want to know more about the religion then parents should encourage them to learn more, or they could just do it on their own.
    That is pretty much all I have to say.