Should execution of the severely mentally ill or retarded be legal?

Asked by: Equality2447
  • Why would you do that?

Before you do this, consider the fact that just because the are different than us, doesn't mean that they are worse or lower than us. After all, your parents gave you a chance didn't they? So give them one. Killing someone who is mentally handicapt is murder. They are living, breathing people just like YOU and just like me. So like i said, give them a chance.

• These people are dangerous, if you had a appliance that was as potentially wouldn't you rid yourself of the danger?

These people are potentially or have no life quality, for example with the shooting of new town conecticut were perpetrated by a man of severe mental compromise. If we had executed the new town shooter earlier he would not of usurped the life's of 28 children and several adults. People like him could of been stopped before they reached a boiling point. I'm a former nurse for those of extreme mental retardation and I did not feel this way until I worked with said severe mental retardates but many of my patients were imcampapble of basic motor activity and Layed on a mat miserable, plus there family's were heavily burden and twice a miserable paying the medical bills and caring for a person that was not capable of loving them back. These are not the easy decisions but they are the decisions that must be made to prevent future new town shooting and to liberate those of severe mental retardation from their earthly perils.

• They have no point in existence.

They are against God's image. God never wanted imperfections. They also will never give back to society. They are a waste of our time, money, and education. Some people might say it would be more humane to leave them be and they are harmless, but these kinds of people are almost always the gunman at the school shooting, or the murderer of anyone. These people have no sense of right and wrong, so they will do anything, and you guys are saying we should just let them do that? Disgusting.

• The retarded are an annoyance!

The Special Education Department is robbing a large portion of schools' funding and said funding should have gone to extracurricular classes and to improve teachers' salaries! All my childhood, I was forced to sit next to them on a tiny bus smelling like a foul stench, at a classroom with the same foul stench, not to mention they drool, hang their mouths open, make unnecessarily excessively repetitive noises, and wanders off when not under adult supervision! I blame those who thought that the retarded should get more attention like Eunice Kennedy Shriver, founder of the Special Olympics. Who would want to see them play sports? So freakin' cringeworthy! Their attention span is shorter than a dirty mutt living in a junkyard! Kill All Retards I say, it's not like they can defend themselves since they can't speak in complete sentences or use even 1% of their peanut-sized brain!

• There are Millons perhaps Billions of people with Mental insufficiency and its weighing down our society

I have been working with people with disabilities for 5 years. Many of the people i have worked with have severe behavioural issues as well as hurt people. I know they don't understand what they are doing, but our world wont be able to support more people very soon. We dont have enough resources to be supporting people who are don't have any quality of life,

• Yes yes yes

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes
    yes yes yes
    yes yes yes
    yes yes yes
    yes yes yes
    yes yes yes
    yes yes yes
    yes yes yes
    yes yes yes
    yes yes yes
    yes yes yes
    yes yes yes

• We should terminate them.

They are just a waste of our resources and they do nothing helpful to our society. Nowadays, we cant have freeloaders who do no work and get extra attention. It would be better for our society if we removed those genes completely. We would save on many resources that could be used elsewhere

• Yes-- but only the severely retarded

Look, before attempting to crucify me listen to me first, and my few but simple reasons.
    1) They are a waste of money, and resources.
    Look, I get it sounds terrible, but here's the reality: when was the last you EVER heard of a severely retarded person doing the world any good? I've met a LOT of severely retarded when I was in High School, and took a class where the idea was to be with their class and help the severely challenged kids through a day of Gym-- and really... It was sad. Despite being told and asked, or even being gently gestured over to make it through an arranged course for them, virtually none of them ever got more than one step in before either forgetting what was going on or just trying to go off somewhere else. And this was even if they did anything at all, half the time they just sat there, drooling, completely unresponsive. It was eery, a couple of times we had to make sure they were even breathing.
    2) The parents don't even want them.
    Look, I get this one sounds even worse, but I know plenty of parents that would tell me openly they wished the child had a terrible accident while in class, or would get abducted. Apparently from the parents they would do such things to disrupt the peace at home, screaming, making fits of rage, because they weren't given attention or just for no reason, and even when attempts were made to ask what they wanted, the parents would be met with total silence, or the child screaming in their face.
    Look, I'm sorry but the severely retarded will never contribute, and never will be of any use.

• Yes-- but only the severely retarded

2) The parents don't even want them.

• They lack the awareness, intelligence, and functions to be considered human

The retarded, as stated, are humans with an IQ Lower than 70. Consider this for a second. There are animals with higher IQ, such as elephants, and dolphins. However, at the lower level of IQ, combined with the human brain, this removes all self awareness, intelligence, and genuine human traits, making them functionally identical to an animal. Allowing an animal public education is useless, as they cannot understand it. Taking care of one leads to the same situation; A waste of money. As a result, we should buckle down and attempt to end mental retardation, VIA genetic methods, and potentially even eugenics.

• Very nasty type of thinking

Well, equality2447, what if the execution panel decided that the cut off point defining mental retardation is one point above your IQ? Or, let's say your mental illness all of a sudden fits in the "unfit" category. Maybe all adult males under five feet five inches in height would be considered severely handicapped. I'm sure there would be some displeased folks out there.

• No I don't think so

The mentally I'll often commit crimes with no knowledge at all that they are doing the wrong thing. There is no malice in their killings, they need treatment for their disease not death.

Those who are mentally retarded do not have the full mental capacity to distinguish right from wrong.

• Who would be the judge?

Being mentally ill or retarded is not a crime. Why should they have to die at all? Because they might need help? That would be incredibly selfish. We are all human beings and deserving of respect. And who would decide who would be executed or not? Someone could claim anyone was too mentally ill to be alive just to get rid of that person. They could find a doctor(s) who could be paid off to say anything. I am extremely saddened to see the rate was 50% on both sides.

• It is not fair to take away someone's right to life because they have a low IQ.

We have advanced as a society to the point where we can now recognize prejudice as wrong. However, it seems that we can not yet always recognize prejudice when it appears.

Any decent deonotological system of ethics will require human beings to care for those with disabilities. To not do so is barbaric and inhumane and flies in the face of nearly every system of morality known to man.

• Not every mentally ill person, No mentally retarded people

There's obviously going to be a few mentally unstable people out there that are dangerous. Does that nessecarily mean that all of them are dangerous? No. The most harm a mentally ill person can do to you is - Wait, never mind, mentally ill people can't harm you.

TL;DR: , Unless you want to be a Rick Perry, it shouldn't be allowed.

• What type of person would do that!

I was in a special education class in 5th grade cause i had light autism and a short attention span, in seventh grade i was in a gym class and i was a partner with a special needs kid, Just because they have autism or ill does not mean we kill them

• Mentally ill people don't deserve any kind of bad behaviour for them, especially execution. In any case

We shouldn't kill leople who don't make a difference beetween good and bad. Those people deserve a mental institution not death. Even though it's cheaper, it's not right and it's not humane. And almost any serial murderer had a mental illnes. For example: Ted Bundy, Aileen Wuornos, many minors etc etc...

• No, Why would you execute someone who isn't even aware that they'll be executed?!

Yes, They struggle in life and Yes it would put them out of their misery, but think about it. Would you want to be executed for something that you weren't aware of doing wrong? Would you want to be executed because you couldn't understand the wrongs of your situation? Why execute them? We are ALL human beings! So what if they are mentally challenged! I've seen plenty of mentally challenged make it through life whether they are aware of it or not! Let them live. Give them a chance like we are given every day.

It's truly disgusting that you would agree to this. What would you really gain in this world for executing someone who's not able to properly function? It's not their fault they were born like that! Imagine if that was your brother, sister, cousin, best friend. Would you want them executed for a mistake?

• Completely Unconstitutional to execute those who do not understand the reality of their punishment.

Mentally ill people do not always understand what they are doing wrong and some do not understand what they are being told even during trials. The Supreme Court held in Atkins v. Virginia that individuals with intellectual disabilities cannot be executed because they are categorically less culpable than other criminals. If a defendant was insane at the time of the crime, he or she can be found not guilty by reason of insanity. There have been several different cases where diagnosed schizophrenic people have been executed, even though they do not understand or show understanding of the trial or punishment.

• Mentally disabled people in many homicide cases cannot separate reality from hallucinations.

These people, if they did not consciously commit their crime, should not be punished. They can not help if their brain has a chemical imbalance- they naturally have no good judgement... What disabled people need is not to be demonized... They need help, to be placed a mental illness facility where they can get the care they need in order to make society a better place. To negate their conditions would be to negate human civil rights altogether...
    ALSO @ the guy who said mentally disabled people "don't contribute to society..." what the hell is wrong with you???