Should faith-run schools receive government funding?

• Atheists often claim that their belief is not a religion

This allows them to propagate their beliefs in settings where other religions are banned,. Atheism shouldn’t be taught or enforced in settings where other religions are banned and shouldn’t be favored by laws which imply a religiously neutral government. Preventing the discussion of God and/or morality is promoting the Religion of Atheism. If you doubt Atheism is religion do a Google search on “Atheist ministers”. The biggest reason for school choice is so parents can choose the values their children will learn. For generations now schools have left God out of education. Most parents would not choose Atheism as their religion. So why do the Atheist get to control the schools. Our population no longer has the moral compass that made this country great. Selfishness is the rule not the exception. Why can’t parents take their $15,000 (on average) per year to the school they choose? Why Can’t education compete like it did in the beginning? Education benefits all of society particularly when morality is allowed to be part of it. The schools can accept all comers if they want government $ (otherwise they can do without government $). This may be the single most important issue underlying all of society’s problems. Only the rich can afford education that they choose. It is sad we have come to this point and we better start waking up or we will go the way of other Atheist countries.

Posted by: Back
  • Why not?

It is still a school for children right? If the parents choose to put their child in a Catholic school, then that's their choice.
    Why should their childrens school receive less funding than others.

I don't go to church, I'm not even religious. Children are the future, no matter where they get their knowledge from, we can't cheat them because of our outdated traditions. And that bullshit about a kid going to a faith-run school with grow up and be a hardcore christian politician, is people being naive. I went to a Christian school and I can't stand hearing about how God creating everything, because my science classes taught me otherwise.

So quit being selfish and superficial everyone!

• Why should my tax dollars pay for the teaching of evolution??

Simply put, I pay my taxes too so why the heck should I pay to educate people on something I dont believe in? Atheists get to have their ideology taught by my tax dollars but we cant have creationism taught? Why? There is a difference between scientific fact and theories. I dont mind teaching kids about biology and how the body works but as soon as you bring theories into the classroom that BS.

• I support government funding for faith-based schools, because they are educating the future leaders of our country.

Some families make the choice to send their child to a faith-based school. When they make that choice, they need to know that the same, or better, opportunities exist in that school, as would exist in a public school. Funding, including government funding, allows the schools to have the teachers and materials needed to provide a quality education.

Posted by: SpitefulChi
  • I'm an Athiest

All persons should receive quality education, and I don't mind an education tax credit or government funding for this nation's storied catholic school tradition. The issue of faith is relatively minor in a civilized society; what's more important is that schools that are fraudulent or teach fraudulent science NOT receive funding.

• We are teaching the faith of Atheism now.

Atheists often claim that their belief is not a religion. This allows them to propagate their beliefs in settings where other religions are banned,. Atheism shouldn’t be taught or enforced in settings where other religions are banned and shouldn’t be favored by laws which imply a religiously neutral government. Preventing the discussion of God and/or morality is promoting the Religion of Atheism. If you doubt Atheism is religion do a Google search on “Atheist ministers”. The biggest reason for school choice is so parents can choose the values their children will learn. For generations now schools have left God out of education. Most parents would not choose Atheism as their religion. So why do the Atheist get to control the schools. Our population no longer has the moral compass that made this country great. Selfishness is the rule not the exception. Why can’t parents take their $15,000 (on average) per year to the school they choose? Why Can’t education compete like it did in the beginning? Education benefits all of society particularly when morality is allowed to be part of it. The schools can accept all comers if they want government $ (otherwise they can do without government $). This may be the single most important issue underlying all of society’s problems. Only the rich can afford education that they choose. It is sad we have come to this point and we better start waking up or we will go the way of other Atheist countries.

• Faith is a human manual

You need to live your life according to a structure, law and order in life. Therefore religious education and awareness is very important. They must receive the same importance and value as any other educational institute. As all faiths give out message of peace n tranquility. It is important that good teachings are embedded in a child's system of development from a very young age.

• Preserving Our Family and Religious Values and Heritage

Children should be supported and guided by their teachers, priests, parents and grandparents or guardians that will teach their values. At the same time, the children and youth will continue to do Math, Science, Business Studies, History, Geography and Language in addition to their own religious studies that should be offered at all schools whether it is elementary or secondary. Schools that has values will help children to believe in the Lord our Saviour. Peace be with you. Amen.

• Schools should not be financially supported by the taxpayer pool, because we have no say as to what they teach.

A faith-based school could be run with any sort of religious background: Christian, Jewish, Islam, Wiccan, etc. There is nothing wrong with sending your children to a faith-based school. But, we, as taxpayers, should not have to financially support the teaching of every religion under the sun.

• All students have a right to an education, for many people faith is a priority in learning

If state run schools are not going to provide religious education then we must have the alternative of offering faith based schools. These schools provide kids with the same education and skills as state run schools but with the addition of faith based education.

For parents who choose these schools they can not always afford to pay expensive private school fee's but the education of faith is an essential life skill for them.

• Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion.

When a government endorses religious stories, it is establishing that religion. In this case, I'm assuming we're talking about the Christian religion. Christianity is being shoved down our children's throats enough as it is. I do not want my tax dollars to be the money that does the shoving. Churches make enough money as it is off of tithes and offerings. You'd think that perhaps they could use that to teach what they want instead of forcing the rest of us to foot the bill?

• No government money

If churches and religious schools want government money they better start paying their taxes! This poll is absolutely ridiculous. The religious have become even more insane, on top of their delusions and imaginary friends the what people to fund their crazy so it is passed on to future generations? Religion is a disease it needs to be cured and the only way that is possible is with heavy doses of reason, logic and evidence taken daily!

• Want public money? Go to a public school...

Come on now. Religious organizations are already tax exempt. Now they want tax payer money?! When churches lose their tax exemption and start forking over the billions of dollars a year they are making, THEN we can talk. Until then, if you want government money, go to a public school. Or just take up an offering each Monday morning before school begins...

• No room in schools for religion

Don't fund fairy-tales. If all data from any religion were to be wiped away, it would never be replicated again. If all data from science were wiped away, everything would be replicated again at some point. That's what science is. Don't throw away money on teaching kids about talking snakes and invisible sky daddies when there's people who are starving to death in our own nation. If people want their kids to learn about a certain, then they should take them to church or synagogue or mosque or wherever, not to a public school and then whine when their specific religion is not a main talking point.

• Fuck Your God

Religion is nothing short of socially-accepted schizophrenia, and should be treated as such. The religious (a.k.a. the delusional) should not be coddled or enabled, they should be treated for their psychological illness before being released back into the wild, lest they continue to perpetuate their legacy of ignorance and scientific illiteracy. Any other course of action will result in the further hillbillification of American society.

• Government is for the people by the people, not all of them religious

Government is for the people by the people, not all of them religious. You have no right to take public money to fund religion, which is nothing but unprovable stories and customs around them.

How about my religion, which believes in ritual human sacrifice? How about Mormonism, which teaches (or taught, till it was made illegal) that blacks are cursed? How about Islam, where everyone unbelievers of islam should be killed? How about Christianity, where selling your daughter as sex slave is OK? How about Hinduism, which gloats about Vedas where the wife inserts the penis of the sacrifical horse into her vagina? Are you happy now? I better start a religion about evil emperor Xenu who cast thetans to the volcanos. Wait! Scientology already took that.

• No standards in curriculum

With all the different belief systems, we cannot except faith based schools to teach the basic education curriculum. These students need a basic level of knowledge when they graduate. This basic level benefits the whole country currently, and future generations. Now... if these schools choose to teach the standard curriculum instead of bible nonsense, then I don't see why they should not get funding.

• The First Amendment

I value the Constitution, and I don't see how it can be interpreted consistent with allowing government money to be used to pay for religious education. That's an establishment of religion, and the Constitution prohibits that.

Look at it this way: if you support allowing government money to be used to fund Christian schools, would you also support it being used to fund fundamentalist Islam schools? If not, then why should other tax payers be forced to have their money go to you?

• Truth and Fairness

Government funded education should be for everyone. Everyone. Every christian, every jew, every buddhist, every atheist. They should have all have the right to learn at every school that tax dollars pay for. And they have a right to the truth. The truth that would be the same if every ounce of understanding of religion, and science were gone today.

• No way.

I believe there is the small matter of Separation of Church and State. Make up your minds Christians, you can either let the government be involved in everything or nothing. You don't get to pick and choose, this is isn't the Bible. If parents wanted to teach their children about God, they should do it at home. Church is for God, School is for learning.