Should faith-run schools receive government funding?

• Atheists often claim that their belief is not a religion

This allows them to propagate their beliefs in settings where other religions are banned,. Atheism shouldn’t be taught or enforced in settings where other religions are banned and shouldn’t be favored by laws which imply a religiously neutral government. Preventing the discussion of God and/or morality is promoting the Religion of Atheism. If you doubt Atheism is religion do a Google search on “Atheist ministers”. The biggest reason for school choice is so parents can choose the values their children will learn. For generations now schools have left God out of education. Most parents would not choose Atheism as their religion. So why do the Atheist get to control the schools. Our population no longer has the moral compass that made this country great. Selfishness is the rule not the exception. Why can’t parents take their $15,000 (on average) per year to the school they choose? Why Can’t education compete like it did in the beginning? Education benefits all of society particularly when morality is allowed to be part of it. The schools can accept all comers if they want government $ (otherwise they can do without government $). This may be the single most important issue underlying all of society’s problems. Only the rich can afford education that they choose. It is sad we have come to this point and we better start waking up or we will go the way of other Atheist countries.

Posted by: Back
  • Why not?

It is still a school for children right? If the parents choose to put their child in a Catholic school, then that's their choice.
    Why should their childrens school receive less funding than others.

I don't go to church, I'm not even religious. Children are the future, no matter where they get their knowledge from, we can't cheat them because of our outdated traditions. And that bullshit about a kid going to a faith-run school with grow up and be a hardcore christian politician, is people being naive. I went to a Christian school and I can't stand hearing about how God creating everything, because my science classes taught me otherwise.

So quit being selfish and superficial everyone!

• Why should my tax dollars pay for the teaching of evolution??

Simply put, I pay my taxes too so why the heck should I pay to educate people on something I dont believe in? Atheists get to have their ideology taught by my tax dollars but we cant have creationism taught? Why? There is a difference between scientific fact and theories. I dont mind teaching kids about biology and how the body works but as soon as you bring theories into the classroom that BS.

• I support government funding for faith-based schools, because they are educating the future leaders of our country.

Some families make the choice to send their child to a faith-based school. When they make that choice, they need to know that the same, or better, opportunities exist in that school, as would exist in a public school. Funding, including government funding, allows the schools to have the teachers and materials needed to provide a quality education.

Posted by: SpitefulChi
  • I'm an Athiest

All persons should receive quality education, and I don't mind an education tax credit or government funding for this nation's storied catholic school tradition. The issue of faith is relatively minor in a civilized society; what's more important is that schools that are fraudulent or teach fraudulent science NOT receive funding.

• We are teaching the faith of Atheism now.

Atheists often claim that their belief is not a religion. This allows them to propagate their beliefs in settings where other religions are banned,. Atheism shouldn’t be taught or enforced in settings where other religions are banned and shouldn’t be favored by laws which imply a religiously neutral government. Preventing the discussion of God and/or morality is promoting the Religion of Atheism. If you doubt Atheism is religion do a Google search on “Atheist ministers”. The biggest reason for school choice is so parents can choose the values their children will learn. For generations now schools have left God out of education. Most parents would not choose Atheism as their religion. So why do the Atheist get to control the schools. Our population no longer has the moral compass that made this country great. Selfishness is the rule not the exception. Why can’t parents take their $15,000 (on average) per year to the school they choose? Why Can’t education compete like it did in the beginning? Education benefits all of society particularly when morality is allowed to be part of it. The schools can accept all comers if they want government $ (otherwise they can do without government $). This may be the single most important issue underlying all of society’s problems. Only the rich can afford education that they choose. It is sad we have come to this point and we better start waking up or we will go the way of other Atheist countries.

• Faith is a human manual

You need to live your life according to a structure, law and order in life. Therefore religious education and awareness is very important. They must receive the same importance and value as any other educational institute. As all faiths give out message of peace n tranquility. It is important that good teachings are embedded in a child's system of development from a very young age.

• Preserving Our Family and Religious Values and Heritage

Children should be supported and guided by their teachers, priests, parents and grandparents or guardians that will teach their values. At the same time, the children and youth will continue to do Math, Science, Business Studies, History, Geography and Language in addition to their own religious studies that should be offered at all schools whether it is elementary or secondary. Schools that has values will help children to believe in the Lord our Saviour. Peace be with you. Amen.

• Schools should not be financially supported by the taxpayer pool, because we have no say as to what they teach.

A faith-based school could be run with any sort of religious background: Christian, Jewish, Islam, Wiccan, etc. There is nothing wrong with sending your children to a faith-based school. But, we, as taxpayers, should not have to financially support the teaching of every religion under the sun.

• All students have a right to an education, for many people faith is a priority in learning

If state run schools are not going to provide religious education then we must have the alternative of offering faith based schools. These schools provide kids with the same education and skills as state run schools but with the addition of faith based education.

For parents who choose these schools they can not always afford to pay expensive private school fee's but the education of faith is an essential life skill for them.

• Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion.

When a government endorses religious stories, it is establishing that religion. In this case, I'm assuming we're talking about the Christian religion. Christianity is being shoved down our children's throats enough as it is. I do not want my tax dollars to be the money that does the shoving. Churches make enough money as it is off of tithes and offerings. You'd think that perhaps they could use that to teach what they want instead of forcing the rest of us to foot the bill?

• No government money

If churches and religious schools want government money they better start paying their taxes! This poll is absolutely ridiculous. The religious have become even more insane, on top of their delusions and imaginary friends the what people to fund their crazy so it is passed on to future generations? Religion is a disease it needs to be cured and the only way that is possible is with heavy doses of reason, logic and evidence taken daily!

• Want public money? Go to a public school...

Come on now. Religious organizations are already tax exempt. Now they want tax payer money?! When churches lose their tax exemption and start forking over the billions of dollars a year they are making, THEN we can talk. Until then, if you want government money, go to a public school. Or just take up an offering each Monday morning before school begins...

• School is for Education

Government school funding should be strictly for education, specifically for the math and sciences. This will not only help develop our nation, but provide more opportunities to underprivileged children. I whole heatedly agree paying my tax dollars to support this. Religion is a personal choice that I don't want to fund in anyway shape or form. You want to be religious? Cool, go do it, but don't take government spending that could be put to better use.

• No

No, this is simply ridiculous to consider. I've been working on my dissertation that has a lot to do with this and have found that there is literally no logical reason that lacks a religious influence behind this. The money, 8 times out of 10, goes to the wrong people in order for parents to save money while ripping off the state and harming the minds of the children the money is being taken from. Ah, data.

• This is a nation built on religious freedoms.

Why should we use that government (and its funds) to teach religious messages and or spread religious indoctrination of any kind? It is illogical for a government based on the ideals of liberty, the freedom of choice, to use its funds(which in our case our precious few) to spread a message of indoctrination.

Setting all of that aside, you know the biggest fighters for this ideal would also be it's biggest opponents once other religions started getting funds for their own schools. Can you imagine the headlines about terrorist training camps in our homelands the religous right would spam everywhere if the government gave money to a church that taught the teachings of the prophet mohammed? Imagine the reaction if they then gave funding to a school where every girl had to burqa as part of the dress code, and where all the boys are taught that they are the final say in any relationship and that women should be thought of as less than equal?

It is already an interesting place we find ourselves in as far as funding religion goes with our IRS unwilling to enforce the tax code and keep churches responsible(and legal) for the provisions that make them exempt from paying taxes in the first place. I just feel that if we break the wall between church and state any more we not not be able to build it up again.

• Not rational

Only peer-reviewed, testable facts should be taught in schools. Not myths and unfounded "facts" brought by religion. As such, government funding should only go to schools or programs that follow those guidelines. Any funding towards schools or programs that teach any religion would seem like a violation of the establishment clause of the US constitution.

• James Madison

“The purpose of separation of church and state is to keep forever from these shores the ceaseless strife that has soaked the soil of Europe with blood for centuries.”

“And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in showing that religion and Government will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”

• Not everyone shares religious beliefs.

"The United States is in no way founded upon Judeo-Christian values." -John Adams, "Treaty of Tripoli." Why should people of differing faiths and of no faiths pay for religious schooling demoting morality, secularism and free thought? I'm a secular humanist, but I don't go around forcing everyone by the point of a sword to believe as I do. This is what America was founded on, the right to free thought and worship or no worship.

• No room in schools for religion

Don't fund fairy-tales. If all data from any religion were to be wiped away, it would never be replicated again. If all data from science were wiped away, everything would be replicated again at some point. That's what science is. Don't throw away money on teaching kids about talking snakes and invisible sky daddies when there's people who are starving to death in our own nation. If people want their kids to learn about a certain, then they should take them to church or synagogue or mosque or wherever, not to a public school and then whine when their specific religion is not a main talking point.