Should fast food restaurants be kept accountable for the amount of waste they generate?

• Yes they should.

The fast food giants have two things in common. They are all incredibly rich and profitable and they all produce an enormous amount of waste. Their livestock, their factories, their grease for frying, their cups and wrappers all add enormously to the environmental waste. I think that if they are going to sell these things, they rather than us, should have a part in undoing some of the damage.

• Any large company should be held responsible for their actions.

Fast food restaurants should be held responsible for their actions, just like any other company. In fact, if anything, due to the frequent amount of patrons that visit these establishments and the high amounts of grease and other waste, they should be kept even more accountable for their generated waste.

Posted by: NineLester37
  • I agree that fast food joints need to be responsible for their own waste, and act accordingly, just like anyone else.

Fast food restaurants should not be exempt, nor should anybody or any place, when it comes to waste. Every person and company generates some kind of waste, and I'm not sure why anyone would think otherwise. We need to create a plan that makes stricter rules for how companies operate and how they can operate more efficiently.

Posted by: BoundlessHomer49
  • Fast food chains should be responsible for their carbon footprint just like everyone else.

I cannot think of any reason why a fast food restaurant should not be held accountable for the waste they generate. In addition to the slew of health related problems that are brought about by these companies, the least they could do is make an effort to keep our planet healthy and be green.

Posted by: AboriginalKing28
  • They produce the waste, why should they not be accountable?

Possibly if the fast food restaurants are accountable for there own waste they may produce less of it. This could lead to them being more conscious of just how much waste they produce. This then could lead to fast food restaurants installing plans to reduce the amount of waste they produce.

Posted by: NabyR4y
  • I think fast food restaurants should be held accountable for all the food they waste.

I do feel that fast food restaurants should be held accountable for all the food they waste. At the end of the night when a fast food restaurant is ready to throw out all the food they have not used for the day, they should instead donate the food to food banks or soup kitchens. I do not see why they choose to throw it away instead of feeding people in need.

Posted by: TickoCa22
  • Fast food restaurants should be held accountable for the waste they generate.

The amount of waste produced by a typical fast food restaurant is quite high. This encompasses many areas and products. First is the noticeable amount of paper and plastic products thrown away. Every product is wrapped thus a minimum of one sheet of paper for every burger sold, every fry bagged, every salad sold. And this packaging is never used again. Likewise, individual condiments are typically wrapped in their own small containers that are given away only to be trashed. Furthermore there is the waste of unused, bad or expired food thrown out and the grease that is tossed away as it is changed. Tons of waste is generated monthly by these places.

Posted by: FLindsay
  • I believe that all people and corporations should be held responsible for the amount of waste they generate, fast food restaurants included.

With the large amounts of excess waste that can be generated by fast food restaurants, accountability is necessary to deter these businesses from causing irreparable damage to our environment. Without instituted responsibility and repercussions for excess waste production, these restaurants can freely practice harmful, environmentally unfriendly actions in an effort to save money. Such actions can in turn produce waste in excess of what is minimally necessary.

Posted by: UnsightlyEmilio
  • Restaurants use oils and fats everyday, not to mention the fact that their restrooms supply an ample buildup of sewage waste in a concentrated area.

New York employs entire crews to get rid of fat that is poured down the drains. The fat builds up so much that tools to scrape it off have to be employed. If there was a moderate attention to waste disposal, there would be less incidents like this.

Posted by: Bear
  • Fast food restaurants should not be kept accountable for waste, because excessive regulation is a small business killer.

I believe that fast food restaurants, or any other food establishment, does have a responsibility for properly handling waste. However, when you talk about accountability, you are inviting government regulation. In my view, more regulation will not solve a social issue. Companies and people can work together for a beneficial solution.

Posted by: erikschrody
  • I feel restaurants should be free to account for what they feel is important, and no third party should be involved in this.

No business should have needless regulations forced upon them. I feel that a fast food restaurant has the same rights as any other business in America. If we allow such regulations, then it will only escalate from there. It will be the gateway, for the government, to control and tax restaurants for decisions that should not be theirs.

Posted by: CleanJoey
  • Fast food restaurants should not be kept accountable for the amount of waste they generate, because they do not create more or less of a mess then anyone else.

I do not feel that it is fair to single out fast food restaurants for creating a lot of waste, since almost anyone out there creates waste. The culprits range from other restaurants to individuals at home. It could be even people who go to fast food restaurants littering as well. So, because of this, I feel everyone should be equally accountable for waste.

Posted by: eyeslikethat