Should fine arts be required for middle school students?

• The arts should be mandatory.

The parents of the person who gave this speech wishes for him/her to remain anonymous

When was the last time you went to an all-kids concert or all-kids art show? For your own enjoyment? For fun? Nowadays, it’s all rushed to get here or there or somewhere and there is never any time to just stop…. And relax... And let yourself get lost in the arts. I am complaining from a child’s perspective. I definitely need to be educated, I am not saying I shouldn't’t learn, but give us a break. Students who participate in the arts improve their achievement in other areas of learning and life. Students with high arts participation perform better on standardized achievement tests than students with low arts involvement. "Arts education enables those children from a financially challenged background to have a more level playing field with children who have had those enrichment experiences,'' says Eric Cooper, president and founder of the National Urban Alliance for Effective Education. I know it’s convenient for all of you to let us sit and rot in front of the television or video game player, but we need to relax, not get caught up in a horror film. Some people have talent, and are creative. They just need a chance to express themselves. Is your child someone who you call a ‘Drama queen’ every day? Yup. Let them perform, sing, and dance. Let them release that wackiness, and get applauded for it. My parents have given me the opportunity to express myself through the arts, and I have won competitions, and even played in Carnegie Hall because my talent was allowed to bloom. I understand that the arts are not for everyone, however I believe that anyone is able to, and should express themselves through some form of the arts. Moreover, (according to a study), the students who are involved in the arts watched fewer hours of TV, participated in more community service, and reported less boredom in school. The arts can connect people more deeply to the world and open them to new ways of seeing. Arts education will be the start of a new, creative, focused, and intelligent world.
    All of you, along with schools that have already added the arts into their curriculum, can be the start of a revolution.

• The arts should be mandatory.

• I Think that

People should be required to take a fine arts class because it builds confidence. And their are so many choices so that if you don,t like some things then you can do photography if you don't want to sing or play an instrument. I also would say that the people who take fine arts have a better study habit because of the practice schedule.

• I Think that

• People who are ARTISTIC

People who are artistic need these classes, not just art but choir and band. Those are different types of art, also writing would be one too! Art is important to most people because it is a way to express feelings, creativity and so much more! For a young child to experience creativity and express their feelings makes this child open to more things. Without art of any kind the world would be dull.

• People who are ARTISTIC

• It is amazing

My brother was forced to play trumpet because of a tradition. At first he hated it but then he grew so passionate about he practiced every night. And at the end of the school year he wanted to do it again. So I tried and I started playing the clarinet and I practice my song with my brother who helps me. So I think yes, YES, YES!

• Hu ehh dh

Stufffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff fj sj sj jjh hj h h h h h hn j gv fdu du h dh d sh edh dsh sd dh dsbh edn dn edn dnd dnd dnd dn dnd dnd dn dnd dnd dnd nd nd dnd dnd dndn dndndnd nd dnd dnd dnd dnd d

• Yes, we should

We should have performing arts classes. They help us develop character and emotions that we need in life. We might also learn that we like this subject. Even if a person don't want to participate in this class, then they will eventually like it and be more familiar. Even though dance or art might not be relevant to most life situations, we can easily fix that by applying what we learned from the subject.

• You never know.

Yes, forcing someone to do something can cause a hatred towards it, but many students don't realize it's something they can enjoy. They just need a push. I believe art teachers should give children creative freedom, not force them to draw a tree, or only do life drawing. Ya know?

• It brings down the people that care

I do not believe that fine arts should be required because if the student has no interests in music, it brings down the people that do care. This past marching season we worked really hard over the entire season only to not qualify for states because those people that were in band because they were forces to be did not care enough to fix there little issues. If our band was consisted of people that actually did care I believe that we would have qualified for states.

• A waist of time.

It takes time away from subjects a student is actually interested in like math, science, and engineering and stresses them out. Most people never use anything they learned in fine arts classes in real life or to get a job. Most people don't care if you were/are the best trumpet player in the middle school band.

• Unfair, really. C'mon.

I'm not saying we should let the students run rampant, but this is something they should have choice in. Something smaller. I believe more courses should be offered, but not as a mandatory subject. It'll just add stress to students who do not wish to participate, therefore lowering their grades in any other subjects.

• Noo!!! Why? Noo need

What if your not that type of artsy person and they force you into it then you eventually grow-up hating that thing for the rest of your life and it's all because of that "push" your parents/teachers gave you to be more artsy. Then it's like the hatred goes on.

• No never no art

Fdsfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdffffffffffff dd dd d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d hff f f f g g g g f f f f f f f ff d d d d d d

• Do not force it

I believe that you shouldn't force the students to do something they may not enjoy. Also, many of the students you are making do it won't even use it in the future. I do agree that it is important to many people, and it helps people through tough times, but that's them. Not every one will find that it is beneficial.

• Cause I i

Cause I I I I I I I I I I ii I I ii I I ii I I I I I I I I I I I I I ii I I I I I I I I I I I I ii I I ii ii I I i

• Nope! Absolutely not

At my school I am required to take a fine art, however they only offer theatre and art. I could spend my time pursuing something I am interested in. If I wanted to take theatre, I would check that box on my course selection. But I don't. I would rather pursue a history, math, business, or writing course. Writing exercises my left brain, right? Yes! So, why isn't it a fine art course?? Who knows! Anyways, if we are required to take a fine art, give us more selections (theatre,art, photography, creative writing, dance, sculpture, printmaking, etc.). I personally know that I do not want to pursue a fine art in my future. Yes, I know, some may say you don't know until you have tried, but I personally know MYSELF. I KNOW that i have stage fright and I know I have zero talent sketching or drawing, so why put me through a class I HATE? I also, understand the argument that they require a PE class. Then I am asked, WHY are you anti-fine art, but not anti-pe?? Well, you can take PE online, so clearly no one can make the argument that PE is for physical activity. I leave all you readers, one last question: Why am I required to take a fine art, and not a sport?

• Eh, not unless they want to

As much as I'm good at art, I hate to take classes for it and I absolutely dislike the fine arts being a requirement in my own school. It should be something kids take if they want to, art is kind of just a skill, not anything important except for getting a creative mindset.

• No no no no no never no

I don't think students should be required to take a performing arts class. It takes away the interest if students are forced to do something. Also, it takes time away from students to do more important homework. Ggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg gtggg g g g g g g g g g g g