Should fine arts be required for middle school students?

• Yes art is needed

Yes art is important for life.
    Yes art is important for life.
    Yes art is important for life.
    Yes art is important for life.
    Yes art is important for life.
    Yes art is important for life.
    Yes art is important for life.
    Yes art is important for life.
    Yes art is important for life.

• The arts should be mandatory is schools.

The arts can be a fun way to build in different areas such as reading, writing, and structure of speech. Learning to read music can make reading normal words/stories easier, and drawing or painting is a way to relieve stress and anxiety. Performing in things such as concerts or plays can build a child's social skill. This is my opinion.

• It gives students another talent!

Students who are in band are 53% more likely to graduate college with better grades than those who did not perform in band. Plus, it gives children an experience they will always remember, such as reward parties, and it gives students chances to connect with kids they would not have spoken to anyways.

• We NEED the fine arts.

We do need the fine arts. I was just researching this topic in my class and saw the debate here. How is there even a debate about this. They may not need to be required but they need to be there for the artistic people in the world. If there were no art class, there would be no way for the people who use music and art to express themselves to be expressive in schools, no way for them to enjoy at least one of their classes in middle school.

• They benefit overall in the future

I believe, that as a person who is in a really terrific band program at my school on the East coast of FL, people should have a choice whether they want to do band or not. If their parents or someone else forces them to do something they don't want to do, it could end up bringing the whole band down, negatively. What do you think will happen otherwise?

• The arts should be mandatory.

The parents of the person who gave this speech wishes for him/her to remain anonymous

When was the last time you went to an all-kids concert or all-kids art show? For your own enjoyment? For fun? Nowadays, it’s all rushed to get here or there or somewhere and there is never any time to just stop…. And relax... And let yourself get lost in the arts. I am complaining from a child’s perspective. I definitely need to be educated, I am not saying I shouldn't’t learn, but give us a break. Students who participate in the arts improve their achievement in other areas of learning and life. Students with high arts participation perform better on standardized achievement tests than students with low arts involvement. "Arts education enables those children from a financially challenged background to have a more level playing field with children who have had those enrichment experiences,'' says Eric Cooper, president and founder of the National Urban Alliance for Effective Education. I know it’s convenient for all of you to let us sit and rot in front of the television or video game player, but we need to relax, not get caught up in a horror film. Some people have talent, and are creative. They just need a chance to express themselves. Is your child someone who you call a ‘Drama queen’ every day? Yup. Let them perform, sing, and dance. Let them release that wackiness, and get applauded for it. My parents have given me the opportunity to express myself through the arts, and I have won competitions, and even played in Carnegie Hall because my talent was allowed to bloom. I understand that the arts are not for everyone, however I believe that anyone is able to, and should express themselves through some form of the arts. Moreover, (according to a study), the students who are involved in the arts watched fewer hours of TV, participated in more community service, and reported less boredom in school. The arts can connect people more deeply to the world and open them to new ways of seeing. Arts education will be the start of a new, creative, focused, and intelligent world.
    All of you, along with schools that have already added the arts into their curriculum, can be the start of a revolution.

• The arts should be mandatory.

• I Think that

People should be required to take a fine arts class because it builds confidence. And their are so many choices so that if you don,t like some things then you can do photography if you don't want to sing or play an instrument. I also would say that the people who take fine arts have a better study habit because of the practice schedule.

• I Think that

• People who are ARTISTIC

People who are artistic need these classes, not just art but choir and band. Those are different types of art, also writing would be one too! Art is important to most people because it is a way to express feelings, creativity and so much more! For a young child to experience creativity and express their feelings makes this child open to more things. Without art of any kind the world would be dull.

• It makes students feel bad about themselves

I honestly am not good at art. However, my school forced me to take an art elective. I am literally the worst in my class and I dread going to class. The only reason I'm not failing and can graduate is that the teacher takes pity on me because I am trying my best, but my best is no match for anything. I feel badly about myself because I can't do anything right in that class. Electives should be something students enjoy, NOT something they dread and not something that makes them feel badly about themselves, that's why we have math.

• It brings down the people that care

I do not believe that fine arts should be required because if the student has no interests in music, it brings down the people that do care. This past marching season we worked really hard over the entire season only to not qualify for states because those people that were in band because they were forces to be did not care enough to fix there little issues. If our band was consisted of people that actually did care I believe that we would have qualified for states.

• A waist of time.

It takes time away from subjects a student is actually interested in like math, science, and engineering and stresses them out. Most people never use anything they learned in fine arts classes in real life or to get a job. Most people don't care if you were/are the best trumpet player in the middle school band.

• Unfair, really. C'mon.

I'm not saying we should let the students run rampant, but this is something they should have choice in. Something smaller. I believe more courses should be offered, but not as a mandatory subject. It'll just add stress to students who do not wish to participate, therefore lowering their grades in any other subjects.

• Noo!!! Why? Noo need

What if your not that type of artsy person and they force you into it then you eventually grow-up hating that thing for the rest of your life and it's all because of that "push" your parents/teachers gave you to be more artsy. Then it's like the hatred goes on.

• No never no art

Fdsfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdffffffffffff dd dd d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d hff f f f g g g g f f f f f f f ff d d d d d d

• Do not force it

I believe that you shouldn't force the students to do something they may not enjoy. Also, many of the students you are making do it won't even use it in the future. I do agree that it is important to many people, and it helps people through tough times, but that's them. Not every one will find that it is beneficial.

• Cause I i

Cause I I I I I I I I I I ii I I ii I I ii I I I I I I I I I I I I I ii I I I I I I I I I I I I ii I I ii ii I I i

• Nope! Absolutely not

At my school I am required to take a fine art, however they only offer theatre and art. I could spend my time pursuing something I am interested in. If I wanted to take theatre, I would check that box on my course selection. But I don't. I would rather pursue a history, math, business, or writing course. Writing exercises my left brain, right? Yes! So, why isn't it a fine art course?? Who knows! Anyways, if we are required to take a fine art, give us more selections (theatre,art, photography, creative writing, dance, sculpture, printmaking, etc.). I personally know that I do not want to pursue a fine art in my future. Yes, I know, some may say you don't know until you have tried, but I personally know MYSELF. I KNOW that i have stage fright and I know I have zero talent sketching or drawing, so why put me through a class I HATE? I also, understand the argument that they require a PE class. Then I am asked, WHY are you anti-fine art, but not anti-pe?? Well, you can take PE online, so clearly no one can make the argument that PE is for physical activity. I leave all you readers, one last question: Why am I required to take a fine art, and not a sport?