Should firearms be legalized in the UK for self-defense?

Asked by: JackGibb
  • Scumbags and Government

One could easily argue that the Government ARE scumbags but in this case I am referring to criminals as scumbags. One could also argue that the Government are criminals too.....

As it stands the public is defenseless against criminals and the government. Either can attack us with weapons knowing full well we will be unarmed and have no means to defend ourselves. This gives all the power to the worst kind of people.

• The police can't protect anyone.

Last night I was laying awake in my bed. I could hear a small group of gypsies move in next door. Gypsies have a reputation of being thieves and builles. I thought to myself, why should I be scared in my own home. I work for a living I pay way too much taxes. I am a good man and I feel my government and police force can not protect me. I served this country in 2006 in Iraq. I feel 9mm or 5.56mm calibre fire-arms should be available to the public for HOME protection after back ground checks and screening. Training and courses should also be provided.

• Yes. It's a no brainer.

We're not even allowed pepper spray? Khan wants to ban knives now. How do we defend ourselves at all? We are not allowed any weapons to defend ourselves, there was a robbery near my house recently at around 4am- how do I defend myself from such a situation. That's a rarity, but if I lived in a more dangerous area I would be even more worried. We need guns. We need to be able to defend our families! The murder rate in london is worse than new york, it's a mental health issue (encouraged by warped ideologies, mental health doesn't equal rights being taken away.) Our country is going to hell, we need the God given right to self preservation. Evil already has guns and weapons, they do not care about law, we need ways to defend our families and ourselves.

• I was never asked

I am 25 years old and I believe the individual has the right to defend himself, to me this seems logical but this right was stripped from me before I was even born by old men in their fenced off mansions and their private security. I think its about time we got our rights back. I love this country but it breaks my heart and infuriates me to see complacent individuals palm off their freedoms in favor of a authoritarian nanny state.

• No illegal dealing

Criminals will not make as much money for drugs and more illegal activities if more guns are sold legally to buyers and women won't have to worry about being mugged and raped. And current gun owners will be able to have legally purchased handguns for there collections for the first time since 1996

• Lead by example

Our government bans legal firearms from registered owners, illegal firearms related crime rate soar and our governments response is to arm the police with firearms and put british troops on the streets. The government are more than happy to admit firearms are making british streets safer as long as nobody brings up civillian ownership.

Their are countries in main land Europe that allow civillian ownership of military grade assault rifles and hand guns and they have almost a zero percent gun crime rate. Instead of comparing us to America try Switzerland or Finland. The day people stop blaming the object and start to blame the person will be an amazing day.
    700,000 legal gun ownera and still more people are killed by knives and cars. Lets get the ball rolling on banning them ;)

• Lead by example

• Legalisation can be successful if implemented properly

The current Firearms Policy in the United Kingdom does not allow handguns, self-loading rifles (of calibres in excess of .22LR) and fully-automatic firearms. Such firearms are classed as Section 5 firearms and are prohibited to civilian ownership unless permission is granted by the Home Secretary.

It is understandable that fully-automatic firearms are prohibited, as there is no reasonable argument for a civilian to possess such firepower; however, handguns and self-loading rifles should be considered for reclassification as they can also save lives. In the case of (animal) stalkers, groundskeepers and hunters, handguns and self-loading rifles can prove useful in humane dispatch and self-defence scenarios involving dangerous wildlife (such as wild boar) in the UK.

Another factor to consider when looking at the current firearms legislation in the UK is how it has affected a once prosperous sport. Shooting has been practiced as a sport in the UK as early as the 18th century, and now exists as thirteen main discplines (as recognised by the National Rifle Association of the United Kingdom). Ever since the Hungerford massacre of 1987 and the Dunblane tragedy of 1996, the shooting sports have had a tainted image, and suffered from what some may call "knee-jerk" reactions (such as immediate bans on types of firearms); because of this, the popularity of shooting has decreased, resulting in an internationally recognised part of our culture and history to become taboo.

Whilst some critics refer heavily to the mass-shootings of the United States, they fail to recognise the differences to the attititude towards firearms here in the United Kingdom. The firearms licensing guidance from the UK Government differs greatly from that of the US Federal Government. Americans almost always refer to the "Second Amendment" whenever discussing firearms, hailing its presence as a constitutional right. As such, it is often commented to be "enshrined" within American culture; commonly associated with the dangerously high frequency of mass-shootings and gun-crime rates. Here in the UK, there is no longer a "right to bear arms" because society deems it unnecessary and socially regressive; that still did not prevent the tragedies of the past. From those tragedies however, the people of the UK have learnt to enforce greater security regarding firearms; requiring police services to perform checks (both announced and unannounced) on properties, stringent background and health checks on those who wish to apply for licenses/purchase firearms/expand licenses or expand ammunition requirements. These differences are what shape the public opinion on firearms, which can be further modified to eventually work towards appropriate legislation which protects the shooting sports.

Another argument held firmly by those who oppose "firearm legalisation" is that legalisation will increase crime rates. Unfortunately, it is well known by the police (as reported by BBC News) that there are many unlicensed and/or prohibited firearms in circulation in the UK; one of the reasons why they are not used as commonly in the USA is because they are too easy to trace, therfore nullifying their use in the majority of criminal activities.

• Only in Britain and California

Only in Britain and the pestilential state of California can a home invader intent on violating the sanctity of someone's home be the "victim" of ANY form of self defense which causes the scumbag injury.

Here in the real world - we shoot those motherf*ckers and the cops high-five us for defending ourselves. You know what? I'm good with that! The code of right and wrong has meaning here. It has meaning because the consequences for violating that code are severe.

Britain doesn't have a clue and the British people aren't likely to get one. Of course... That's what happens when you're spoon fed by bureaucrats and can't make your own mind up.

Legalize guns inside and outside of the home. Encourage citizens to carry firearms, train with them, and stand up for what is right. Maybe then, Brits can begin to regrow their testicles and remember what being an independent, responsible citizen is all about.

• It should be a right!

The Americans have the 2nd amendment giving them the right to keep and bear arms not just against would be criminals or terrorists but also against tyrannical governments and domestic security services it is their right to defend themselves against all threats domestic or foreign and the UK should be no different.

We keep having our rights to defend ourselves stripped down over and over again to the point where people are to scared to fight back when threatened for fear of being prosecuted which is disgusting.

And saying we would be putting guns in the hands of criminals if we legalised them is right but at the same time silly considering that gun are already banned and yet they still get used in crimes and why wouldnt they when they can pick up a gun along with ammunition with the serial numbers ground off for less than £50 in some places. Leagalising them on the other hand would at least provide some deterrent for them to use a gun on someone.

And as a final additive if you look at the states in america with the most relaxed gun laws compared to the ones with the most strict there gun crime rates differ massively with the states that have open carry and relaxed ownership having the least crime involving guns.
    On a personal note if i had to choose i would much rather be shot than stabbed a quick good search on knife wounds would clarify this matter for anyone

• NOOOoooooo! NOT GOOD!!

Don't just do it.......Think how fucked up the country will become if guns became leghalized.... Legalizing guns in the UK is a terrible mistake as it would mean that gun crime rates would increase terrifically and if everyone had a gun or an access to a gun more easily then it would make criminals lives much more easy because now they have a very useful weapon that they could use to kill and they are allowed to carry this weapon

• NOOOoooooo! NOT GOOD!!

• No. No. No.

No,they shouldn't. America gets loads and loads of school shootings everywhere due to these guns, do you all really want loads of our countrys childrens dying innocently due to these deadly weapons. Only police should have guns. Also, not even just the school shootings. This country shouldn't be in the middle of sorting out horrific, tragic event.

• Innocent individuals lives would be at risk

Just think of how many innocent peoples lives would be gone because of criminals getting hold of these guns and then using them for their own satisfaction that's not right guns shouldn't be legalised because it puts young teenagers, adults, older people and children at risk of being killed by a criminal

• Are You Serious?

I understand that some people may not feel safe in their homes without access to a weapon in case of a robbery or murder; these criminal events are very unlikely to actually happen to you.

If we allow guns to be available for self-defense, than criminals will buy them saying it's for self-defense and will use it for crimes. Do you really want to be giving criminals weapons?

It will also mean that all police officers here in the UK will have to carry guns on the off chance that the suspect is armed with a gun. This means that the cost of training a police officer will rise and the cost of their equipment will go up as bullet proof vests will become necessary.

If this isn't enough for you, than take a look at the crime rate in America! Also, their police are all armed with guns, and they killed more civilians in 1 month than British police did in 10 years!

Now this is definitely more than enough to prove that the UK would be better off without guns becoming available to the common man.

• No to guns

Imajine wandering around a street and thinking anyone of them could have a gun. I would hate to live in a conutry wher anybody could have a gun because it would be scary noing that a person that hates you could be out there trying to kill you. Do you want that? So say no to guns and say no to the gunlaw

• No to guns

• No to guns

• Legalising guns/firearms doesnt affect the security in any terms!

If thought, Criminals will be able to gain easy access with new weapons on the legal market to kill citizens in the UK! Although, we have the right for self defence, the real situation just results the pros and cons increasing however equally. This demonstrates that firearms are useless to legalise as it won't solve crime rates instead increasing it!

• Why would you want more gun violence?

More people have access therefore more crimes get comitted ''but but criminals don't listen to the law'' you're right so why even have it be illegal to murder someone? Criminals don't obey the law! Hell why have anything be illegal? Criminals aren't going to obey the law, no, stop being stupid and realize that by having something be illegal you discourage someone from purposely breaking the law and doing something bad