Should firearms be legalized in the UK for self-defense?

Asked by: JackGibb
  • I should be able to own a gun if i am of sound mind

Self defence in this day and age with the amount of crime, knife and gun crime increasing. It seems only the criminals have the weapons, and the rest of us have to depends on the police. Who are becoming more and more useless. And thats without the threat of terrorism, an armed terrorist attacks the local town centre, how long before armed police respond and how many are dead? Too many people in this country think legalising firearms will increase gun crime. More like the more people who own guns the safer it will be, everyone will be to scared to use there gun if everyone else has a gun also. Better to have a gun and not need it, then need it and not have it.

• Guns save innocent lives!

It is dumb to ban guns. The most basic human right is self defense. If guns are banned then only the criminals will get guns. In the USA guns are used 40 times to save innocent lives for every time they end an innocent life. We have lost enough, and soon we will have no knives or swords. We will have no power and the government will have it all. I am a peaceful guy, but if someone comes to kill me, how will I defend myself. Some say martial arts is the answer, but what good is martial arts when the attacker(s) has a gun or a sword, or a different type of bladed weapon. A firearm or non-lethal gun (like a paintball gun with breaker balls) are the only real effective things. If they were not, then why do he military use them?
    WE HAVE LOST ENOUGH! REGAIN FREEDOM!

• Guns give us protection

Killlllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll l l l l ll l l l l l ll l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l ll l l l criminals

• Terrorist annihilation is good

In my opinion if your walking down the street and a terrorist opens fire if the police,swat and bomb squad are pinned someone with a concealed firearm should be able to take out the threat if a clear opportunity is given, come on people wake up and smell the coffee

• Guns are reassuring for yourself

If someone breaks in then I feel that I could shoot them in the head and look after my own house and my pets. I will put barbed wire around the garden so that thieves can't break in easily and if they do I will pop their brains out BANG

• A better option of defense!

It is much more important that we can defend ourselves from attackers, and to refute the argument that criminals would have better access: would you rather be shot down, or stabbed, slashed and left to bleed out or mauled by somebodies vicious dog, or battered brain dead?

Also another point is: what if we are invaded? Or what if our own government turns on us or a particular demographic? This is the reason guns are illegal, so the people can't defend themselves against tyrannical leaders!

At least if the populace is armed, people are able to defend them selves valiantly rather than being sitting ducks, drinking tea waiting for their doors to be kicked in and executed like primitive animals.

• The police are useless

When a robber has a knife to your familys neck try calling the police to help, spoiler alert they wont, GUNS DONT KILL PEOPLE, PEOPLE KILL PEOPLE, GUN CRIME HAPPENS IN THE UK EVEN WITH THE BAN, i would feel much better knowing my family has a gun to protect themselves.

• The police are useless

• Die or Live

We deserve self defense because what choice do you have between tasering or being shot or sliced by a criminal we should be allowed anything for self defense and I belive whatever gun you used in self defense dosent matter but you had to use that gun for the risk and saftey of someones life.

• Its a Human Right to Bear Arms

As time goes on the state of England and the other countries in the UK is getting worst, terrorism, gangs & thugs on the streets. The police aren't always around to help and we have to be able to defend ourselves, as it goes now we are only allowed to use reasonable force. Is reasonable force any good when a guy with a knife or even a gun comes to attack you, what about when your wife/daughter/mother/sister or any other female you love is going home one night and she's dragged into some bushes to be attacked. We're not even allowed mace/pepper spray/oc spray. It's like the government want us to be weak, we need to stand up and take back our rights and take back our guns too!

• No to guns

Imajine wandering around a street and thinking anyone of them could have a gun. I would hate to live in a conutry wher anybody could have a gun because it would be scary noing that a person that hates you could be out there trying to kill you. Do you want that? So say no to guns and say no to the gunlaw

• No to guns

• No to guns

• Legalising guns/firearms doesnt affect the security in any terms!

If thought, Criminals will be able to gain easy access with new weapons on the legal market to kill citizens in the UK! Although, we have the right for self defence, the real situation just results the pros and cons increasing however equally. This demonstrates that firearms are useless to legalise as it won't solve crime rates instead increasing it!

• Why would you want more gun violence?

More people have access therefore more crimes get comitted ''but but criminals don't listen to the law'' you're right so why even have it be illegal to murder someone? Criminals don't obey the law! Hell why have anything be illegal? Criminals aren't going to obey the law, no, stop being stupid and realize that by having something be illegal you discourage someone from purposely breaking the law and doing something bad

• Guns in the UK? NO!

Guns in the UK would not scare criminals away from attacking it will just make it easier for them to do so. It makes it easier for criminals to gain access to weapons and will also make it easier for people to kill people as everyone will have a weapon.

• Keep Britain safe

Legalizing guns in the UK is a terrible mistake as it would mean that gun crime rates would increase terrifically and if everyone had a gun or an access to a gun more easily then it would make criminals lives much more easy because now they have a very useful weapon that they could use to kill and they are allowed to carry this weapon

• Stop guns they are dangerous!!!!!

Why would you want guns.You may think it will protect you but it will do the opposite.You are more likely to die of a bus crashing into you than you getting shot,so why would you want guns now.Not only that but think about all the people who drink,use drugs and who in gangs if we get guns then all the law abiding citizens will suffer.Please think before you act!!!!!!! Ban Guns

• Guns Should Definitely Be Legalised

If I'm about to be stabbed, my death could be prevented if I wounded the would be killer therefore, my life is saved and the would be killer is wounded, but not dead. So 2 lifes are safe with guns, whereas 1 life is safe without them. BRING BACK GUNS!!

• Guns should stay illegal

Okay I get the fact that if you own a gun, you can defend yourself, however you are only looking st one side of the coin, if guns became legal it would allow for more people such as criminals, terrorist and drunks to have access to them
    Criminals - criminals could get a gun a lot easier now if they become legal, as not many people will know where to get a gun illegally, and if they have no other past offence you can't do anything about it because you don't know what they can do
    Terrorist - this is a bit obvious, this will be put into the hands of someone who intends to do damage to civilians regardless of who it is or where they are
    Drunks - if you allow a drunk man the accesibility to a firearm, they wouldn't be in control of their actions, and could accidentally injure someone or kill them, and this could ruin their entire life just because they took their gun for "self defence" on a night out