Should firearms be legalized in the UK for self-defense?

Asked by: JackGibb
  • Self Defence: case in point Terrorism

Terrorism itself is at a "critical" level in the U.K. For example, no injuries would have occurred from the recent London terror attacks where 3 men drove into people in a van and then tried to kill people with knives in pubs. What would have happened if the men in those pubs had all pulled pistols on them? Much less deaths and injuries. Yes we hope these incidences are a rare occurrence but we must be prepared for the worst, and sometimes one needs to protect oneself.

• All gun crimes are with illegal guns

All of the gun related violence is caused with illegal non registered guns this means if they make the gun laws harder it will not change and if more people are armed there will be less people threatening people because they do not want to get injured or killed they are just cowards

• The law fails homeowners

The law fails homeowners and people with lawfully held firearms. If an intruder breaks into your home you should be able to use whatever means necessary to defend yourself; if you own a firearm you should be able to use that without any repercussions.

Bottom line: if somebody is in your home, you lawfully own a firearm, and they are shot that is the risk that they have taken by entering your house illegally. You wouldn't know if they were there to rob you, kill you or rape your wife.

Burglaries are very prevalent in my area (midlands) and it seems that the law is biased towards the criminal.

• Criminal have them anyway

Criminals have them already. They get them even though they are completely band. We might as well make them legal for everyone. Also if they where legal it world be a lot easier to track criminals who are dumb enough to buy legal guns. I wouldn't mind having to go through train to get a license. We can't hide from danger for ever.

• Hot home burglry

55% of UK Burglaries occur when the home occupant is in bed.
    13% of US (gun friendly states) Burglaries occur when the home occupant is in bed.

Let give the criminals some thing to consider.
    I'd rather my home was burglarized whilst my family and I were out.

I do also feel that owning a firearm is a privilege. Just like owning a drivers licence. I think we (gun owners) should have to pay more, have government approved training and regular checks. I'd be happy to pay more in order for more freedome

• I should be able to own a gun if i am of sound mind

Self defence in this day and age with the amount of crime, knife and gun crime increasing. It seems only the criminals have the weapons, and the rest of us have to depends on the police. Who are becoming more and more useless. And thats without the threat of terrorism, an armed terrorist attacks the local town centre, how long before armed police respond and how many are dead? Too many people in this country think legalising firearms will increase gun crime. More like the more people who own guns the safer it will be, everyone will be to scared to use there gun if everyone else has a gun also. Better to have a gun and not need it, then need it and not have it.

• Guns save innocent lives!

It is dumb to ban guns. The most basic human right is self defense. If guns are banned then only the criminals will get guns. In the USA guns are used 40 times to save innocent lives for every time they end an innocent life. We have lost enough, and soon we will have no knives or swords. We will have no power and the government will have it all. I am a peaceful guy, but if someone comes to kill me, how will I defend myself. Some say martial arts is the answer, but what good is martial arts when the attacker(s) has a gun or a sword, or a different type of bladed weapon. A firearm or non-lethal gun (like a paintball gun with breaker balls) are the only real effective things. If they were not, then why do he military use them?
    WE HAVE LOST ENOUGH! REGAIN FREEDOM!

• Guns give us protection

Killlllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll l l l l ll l l l l l ll l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l ll l l l criminals

• Terrorist annihilation is good

In my opinion if your walking down the street and a terrorist opens fire if the police,swat and bomb squad are pinned someone with a concealed firearm should be able to take out the threat if a clear opportunity is given, come on people wake up and smell the coffee

• Guns are reassuring for yourself

If someone breaks in then I feel that I could shoot them in the head and look after my own house and my pets. I will put barbed wire around the garden so that thieves can't break in easily and if they do I will pop their brains out BANG

• Are You Serious?

I understand that some people may not feel safe in their homes without access to a weapon in case of a robbery or murder; these criminal events are very unlikely to actually happen to you.

If we allow guns to be available for self-defense, than criminals will buy them saying it's for self-defense and will use it for crimes. Do you really want to be giving criminals weapons?

It will also mean that all police officers here in the UK will have to carry guns on the off chance that the suspect is armed with a gun. This means that the cost of training a police officer will rise and the cost of their equipment will go up as bullet proof vests will become necessary.

If this isn't enough for you, than take a look at the crime rate in America! Also, their police are all armed with guns, and they killed more civilians in 1 month than British police did in 10 years!

Now this is definitely more than enough to prove that the UK would be better off without guns becoming available to the common man.

• No to guns

Imajine wandering around a street and thinking anyone of them could have a gun. I would hate to live in a conutry wher anybody could have a gun because it would be scary noing that a person that hates you could be out there trying to kill you. Do you want that? So say no to guns and say no to the gunlaw

• No to guns

• No to guns

• Legalising guns/firearms doesnt affect the security in any terms!

If thought, Criminals will be able to gain easy access with new weapons on the legal market to kill citizens in the UK! Although, we have the right for self defence, the real situation just results the pros and cons increasing however equally. This demonstrates that firearms are useless to legalise as it won't solve crime rates instead increasing it!

• Why would you want more gun violence?

More people have access therefore more crimes get comitted ''but but criminals don't listen to the law'' you're right so why even have it be illegal to murder someone? Criminals don't obey the law! Hell why have anything be illegal? Criminals aren't going to obey the law, no, stop being stupid and realize that by having something be illegal you discourage someone from purposely breaking the law and doing something bad

• Guns in the UK? NO!

Guns in the UK would not scare criminals away from attacking it will just make it easier for them to do so. It makes it easier for criminals to gain access to weapons and will also make it easier for people to kill people as everyone will have a weapon.

• Keep Britain safe

Legalizing guns in the UK is a terrible mistake as it would mean that gun crime rates would increase terrifically and if everyone had a gun or an access to a gun more easily then it would make criminals lives much more easy because now they have a very useful weapon that they could use to kill and they are allowed to carry this weapon

• Stop guns they are dangerous!!!!!

Why would you want guns.You may think it will protect you but it will do the opposite.You are more likely to die of a bus crashing into you than you getting shot,so why would you want guns now.Not only that but think about all the people who drink,use drugs and who in gangs if we get guns then all the law abiding citizens will suffer.Please think before you act!!!!!!! Ban Guns

• Guns Should Definitely Be Legalised

If I'm about to be stabbed, my death could be prevented if I wounded the would be killer therefore, my life is saved and the would be killer is wounded, but not dead. So 2 lifes are safe with guns, whereas 1 life is safe without them. BRING BACK GUNS!!