• If firefighters are not considered veterans, then what are they

Firefighters/Medics see the and fight a battle everyday.
    They are subjected to human cassuaultees, trauma and post stress syndromes as soldiers of the streets.
    They suffer horrific injures and have little benefits that vetrans acquirre. I know, my injuries have destryed my life as it was. The only thing I ask for is help, it's no there. Why

• Not according to the OED

The Oxford English Dictionary defines a veteran as "n. One who has had long experience [related to warfare]; an old soldier." Since a firefighter does not engage in military action or warfare, they should not be considered a veteran, unless that person was performing their job in a war zone.

• Big difference in pay.

I really don't mind saying firefighters are Vets too, except I believe there is a big difference between the two. First off, military pay doesn't even come close to what firefighters make. Secondly, a firefighter can say enough is enough and leave the service. When fighting in a war, the military person doesn't have that option. BTW, I retired from the military 22 years ago and have been a firefighter for 12 years now.

• Not according to the OED