Should food stamps only be used for healthy choices?

• Incentivizing Instead of Banning

Before doing my food policy portfolio, my answer to this debate question will be yes, there should be more restriction on the SNAP eligible foods. Because the SNAP recipients are easier to be obese by consuming more junk foods. However, after doing the research on the obesity issue among the SNAP recipients, I found that the most efficient way to help the low-incomes access the healthier food is to implement the incentive programs instead of punishing them from a ban. Because a ban will create embracement the confusion, and more importantly, people's preferences are hard to change. Thus, if the government could apply more incentive programs on fruits and vegetables, the recipients will have more budgets to buy healthier food, which will change their eating habit in some level.

• Not everybody is obese.

Not every family who has food stamps is obese or abuses junk food. Obviously if you have food stamps you can't afford food. Therefore there is really not a big chance of being fat and being poor. Also most people who have certain food deficiencies like Diabetes rely on Junk food.

• Not everybody is obese.

• Food Stamps Should be for all Food Choices

I do not think it would be a good idea for food stamps to only be for healthy-choice foods. This would create a monopoly on healthier food companies and would be somewhat detrimental to foods that are not considered healthy. Plus, it would create an unofficial brand on foods by branding them as unhealthy, since the food stamps would not promote to those manufacturers. In addition, the price of healthier foods are higher than that of processed and condensed foods and almost all of the individuals that are eligible for food stamps could not even buy those healthier choices to begin with. There is no need to create a division for something that is supposed to benefit those that can't afford foods that most of the middle class and high class can already afford.

• Food stamps should be used for all choices a user makes.

I believe with food stamps one should always be given a choice over what they particularly use them for. As they are just a supplement to the grocery income of a individual, its up to that individual if they were to buy healthy foods over junk foods. I also believe its fine for people to make choices of convenience for their food stamps.

ZhouMia says2016-05-17T12:20:44.900