Should foreign-born citizens be allowed to serve as U.S. Presidents?

• As the leading country of the world, we should seek the worlds' best.

As a nation founded on the principles of equality, freedom, and tolerance, we should not exclude those born outside our borders. Everyone is influenced and affected by our policies and our actions and should have the ability to ascend to the highest level of office regardless of birthplace. . .

• Future President OVER HERE!

I was recently voted as "Most Likely to be President" but not many of my peers knew that I was not born in America. In my opinion, it sort of sucks that I cannot be a VP (coolest job ever!) or a President because of where I was born. May I remind you that I did not pick out the location of my birth, my parents did. Anyway, there are millions of Americans like me who were born in other countries but are considered American since they moved here at such a young age (I was six months old). I don't think it's fair that such an important job must have such a discriminatory requirement. Let me remind you that about an eighth of those who live in America are foreigners. That's eliminating a lot of potential leaders that can lead this country very well. This rule eliminates me.

• I'm considering pursuing a career in American politics but I was born in Ireland to two Irish parents

As stated above in my headline I was born in the Republic of Ireland to two Irish parents. I have always hated this country and how it has been run, especially since the world recession in recent times.My parents are broke (I'm only 14 by the way),the politicians are corrupt and our country is weak compared to many in Europe. We haven't had a stake in international affairs in a hundred years and I feel it is time that I abandon ship. I have always wanted to be a politician and I was appalled at the Irish Government. But where would I go? I sought to revoke my Irish citizenship and leave.But a question constantly thwarted my plans for my future, will anyone accept you with open arms, even though I am not one of them?Only a week ago I found the answer to my question. America. A country so full of amazing opportunities and people just waiting for me beyond the Atlantic...But then came the crushing evidence that America was perhaps not so full of hospitality as I had once thought. I found that on America's founding people had gathered and decided that only people born within the U.S border or from U.S ascendancy could have power in government. They decided that just because I was not born American that I was not loyal to it's people, and did not have their best interests in mind. They decided that just because I was not one of them, I should not lead them. Was America not founded by immigrants? Then why, when it's people sought equality for all, were immigrants suddenly wiped from the map of politics, forbidden from taking up the reins of leadership? If equality has descended down the list of American priorities then what do I do? All I ever wanted was a better life for everyone. I care for every person who is a victim of this peculiar form of discrimination, and those that support it. Perhaps they are so proud of their country that they don't want to see it come under the control of tyrants who don't have the people's best interests in mind, but I can assure you that America is looked up to by most of the nations in the world, and none would like to see her be destroyed. If you want to be proud of your country again, you will back not only me but the vision of a New America as well. It is your choice of who leads you, but if you are to exercise free will on a national scale should you not do it with your country's people in mind? If one candidate had the dream and capacity to make that nation better for its citizens, would you hold it against them if they were not born on American soil or from American parents? Please do not hold our ascendancy against us, and make America a better place by lifting these laws once and for all.

• We all are humans

We are all humans and should care about the world. It shouldnt matter our race or origin. As long as we have the right beliefs in our hearts it shouldnt matter. The greatest leaders arent the ones that care about themselves, but care for the world. I cant see why people dont see this.

• It doesn't make sense

People who aren't born in the US, that also show a great devotion to the country and political leadership, should be given a chance to say the least. It isn't fair that where someone is born determines whether or not someone can or should be president. There are plenty of young, smart, foreign-born students in school today that live by example. Each and everyone of them should be given a chance to become president if they show commitment and dedication to their country.

• Equal Opportunity for all American Citizens

Intrinsic in the "American Dream" is the inherent right of any American citizen (naturalized or otherwise) of having the right of opportunity. By openly discriminating against a large cross section of the American public for an occupation, you are flippantly and dangerously denying them that right. I was born in Russia, was adopted at 4, and have been a proud naturalized U.S. Citizen ever since. Right now, I'm proudly serving in the U.S. Navy. What right do people have to tell me that I'm not American enough to run for public office like the Presidency but I am American enough to sacrifice my life and health for her?

• Yes they should!

Just because a person comes from another country does not mean they will change everything! I come from Australia and I absolutely love America just the way it is. I want to move to America the day I turn 18, and I intend to live there for the rest of my life. If I could, I would become President of your amazing country because I love it so much and I want to serve it to the best of my ability!

• Because its not right

People should be able to do whatever they want when they come to America. They are moving from places without rights to a place that still takes some away from you. If were really given equal rights then we should be able to be president not just the right right to pick ours.

• Yes Everyone is an Immigrant

Nobody is really from america because all our descendants came form Europe or from Latin countries. I was not born here but yet I am an american. I would do anything for this country and its not fair. You may be worried about foreign spies but that is what Checks and Balances are for so presidents wouldn't be able to gain more power than they already have. Many of the founding fathers where racist after all they owned slaves and treated them like property so they did make mistakes in the constitution.We are all equal so why should I have the same oppurtunities that every natural born citizen has

• America Must Hold up to its reputation

Everybody that comes to america for a new future should be allowed to be president, people come to America to find new opportunities, because america is known a place where there is no discrimination. But you may not be president if you are born outside of the country. This law is creating a second class of citizens, you are saying to the 40 million (census.Gov) people who came to this country and are loyal to this country that america does not trust them enough to be president. America is saying to their foreign born citizens that you can be anything, anything other than president you can be a governor a lieutenant governor a senator a member of the house, a member of the cabinet, even a supreme court justice. But you cannot be president this is saying to 12.9% (census.Gov) of americans that we allowed you to come into our country you get the same rights as any of us but you cannot be president if America is really a land without discrimination why do we not allow foreign born citizens to be president.

• Who should be allowed to be a U.S. President

Anyone born outside the U.S. should not be allowed to serve as the U.S. President. They are from another country and may not have the best interest of the United States in mind. It is also important to maintain the constitution and to do this, a foreign-born citizen should never be allowed to serve as U.S. President.

• Just plain NO

People from out of the country have many issues, look at Iraq. They are not doing good at all. If we let them run, they could ruin it for us. They dont even know what we do in our country if they have never been here. Plus the constitution should stay the same lie it has been for over 100 years.

• No, follow the Constitution.

Being so far from the founding of this Country it is very easy for us 21st century citizens to forget why this simple clause was intentionally inserted into the Constitution few requirements for President. There are enough "natural-born" citizens to fill the post so why open room for potential usurpers.

• No they should not.

Our Constitution states that only birth citizens of the United States can be President, and for good reason. The President is the Commander In Chief, has access to Nuclear Launch Codes and has access to classified intelligence. If a foreign spy gets elected to that position, it would be disastrous.

• No thank you.

If you are not a natural born citizen your allegiance may be to another country. While I think it is unlikely that one person like that would be elected in this day and age I also find it to be an additional risk with the terrorism threats we face as well.

• United States Constitution

Our US Constitution states to be the President of the United States you have to be a natural born citizen of the US. He does not qualify and our Congress should not have allowed it. The voice of We the People are controlling voice and not by outside voters. Amen!

• No way Jose!

I'm the son of two immigrant parents and I personally believe they (although they lived in the US since 1982) shouldn't run for President. They still have allegiance to the home country and they keep on talking about moving back. Plus, they don't have the full American dream inside of them.

• NO, NO, NO!!!!!!!!!!!

I say if they want to be a president, they have to be at least be born in the country they will be president of. Plus, in order to allow foreign-born citizens to run as a candidate you have to change the Constitution. To change the Constitution you have to get more than half of America’s approval. If there is ever going to be a foreign-born president, he may not have the best interest of the United States in mind.

• A foreign-born president? NO!!!!!

I say if they want to be a president, they have to be at least be born in the country they will be president of. Plus, in order to allow foreign-born citizens to run as a candidate you have to change the Constitution. To change the Constitution you have to get more than half of America’s approval. If there is ever going to be a foreign-born president, he might support his own country more than America.

• Absolutely no way!

I say if they want to be an American president, they have to be born in America. Plus, in order to allow foreign-born citizens to run as a candidate you have to change the Constitution. To change the Constitution you have to get approval from two thirds of the House and Senates, and approval from the legislatures of 38 states! So, if they want to allow foreign-born citizens to run as president, they have to get more than half of America's approval. Anyway, the Constitution was written for a reason. If there is going to be a foreign-born president, he might make America look bad for his own country.