Should former governor Edwin Edwards be allowed to run for Congress considering he served nearly a decade on charges of racketeering, conspiracy and extortion?

• Yes he should be allowed to run

The Constitution states that all those who are at least 25 years of age, a U.S citizen for at least seven years, and live in the same district they are hoping to represent. Therefore he is eligible to run.
    However, I will say that he has no chance at winning given his criminal history. Therefore running for congress would be a waste of his time.

• Yes, Edwin Edwards should be allowed to run for congress.

He should be allowed to run for congress, but in my opinion he should not be elected. People should have enough sense to not elect a person with such a record to a political position. He should not be barred from participating in the election process. If people so choose they should be allowed to elect him despite his previous record.

• Edwin Edwards should not be allowed to run for Congress considering he served nearly a decade on charges of racketeering, conspiracy and extortion.

No convicted felon should ever be allowed to run for Congress. Even if Edwards has done his time and fulfilled his sentence, he still is a person with a questionable background. He has shown the propensity to be unscrupulous and has acted without the integrity that is necessary for a Congressman.

• No, he should not be allowed to run.

With the criminal record that he has I would not consider him to be a good candidate for Congress. I would not be against certain people with criminal records running for public office, however, his crimes were directly related to politics. This would be placing him in an environment where he would be very likely to re-offend.

• Shouldn't Be Allowed

I do not believe former governor Edwin Edwards should have the opportunity to run for congress. If he served time for racketeering, conspiracy, and extortion then he shouldn't be allowed back in the system. Those charges are serious and it should leave him with a lifetime of poverty, just as they would regular criminals. Our government needs less corrupt politicians.