Should freshmen should participate in extracurricular activities

Asked by: mzelasco
  • Yes, why not?

Freshmen are already heavily discriminated against in high schools, so why make them outsiders even more. I'm not entirely sure about other schools, but my high school has people from two different towns who go to separate school systems until then. That means in freshman year, you don't know half the people in your grade. Extra curricular activities are a great way to make friends that share the same interests. I met some of my best friends through these activities. But besides that, it also prepares freshmen for their later years in high school, and inherently college. If freshmen can't do anything at school outside of normal school hours, they will not know how to balance work with these activities when they join them later in highschool. And sophomore/junior year is a bad time to struggle with something.

• Yes, they should

Freshmen are still part of that school, are they not? Why would the school not allow part of their student body to participate in activities that they have a passion for? The only argument I've seen against this is mainly directed at all students participating in extracurricular activities. The purpose of school is to prepare students for life. These clubs and sports allow all students to see if they truly enjoy a certain activity before they begin to start on a career in that field. I see no reason to ban freshman from any activity; they benefit from it just as much as any other student.

• Should freshmen should participate in extracurricular activities

I just want to see what you the people think ..........K., . . . . . .... . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. ...... . . . . .. . .. . . . .. . . .. .. .. .. .

• Better off without them.

The main purpose for schools is to prepare kids for life after school. Though small a few may get a career in sports or other activities the likelihood is slim at best. In my opinion, we should also get rid of many of the elective courses as well. The odds of getting into an art or music career is also very slim and a waist of school funds and students time. Without such added expenses, the schools could afford other things more important to their lives after school. The added time could also benefit students who don't want to take home school work. They could use the added time to do it at school. Other option, depending on the age and local school rules, would be that the students could have a shorter school day. This would also benefit the parents by eliminating added expense of certain electives, not to mention the savings to the taxpayers.
    Best case scenario to keeping such courses is that they give a select few students a slight advantage to an unlikely career. Worst case, they tend to be a distraction that ends up lowering the students GPA's in areas they need outside of school.
    If a student wants to participate in these activities, they still could but outside of school and at their parents expense.