• No, genes should not be patented

Genes cannot be patented because they are not technology. Only the way genes are used, with a particular technology, can be patented. Some companies favor the notion of patenting genes but this is against the basic idea of patenting an invention, not something that already exists in nature. If we allow them to patenting genes, there is no limit actually patent everything that exists on our planet, including human beings.

• Yes, But only under certain circumstances

Yes, I think genes should be patented because, if a gene is created for the greater good of our planet. If human genes were created to allow us to be immune to illnesses like, HIV, types of cancer and other life threatening deceases. Then I believe genes should be patented but, if genes were created to harm nature and its populaces. Then no I don't think they should be patented.

• Yes, but only in certain circumstances

Yes, genes should be patented, but only if the applicant created the gene or if they put it together with other genes to create a proprietary set of genes. Natural genes, however, already exist and so, cannot be patented (or should not) because no innovation was done. However, if I create a new gene sequence (or completely new gene) which allows plants to grow without water, I would be very disappointed if I couldn't keep my intellectual property. Even worse would be widespread use without my credit (or without getting compensation for it).

• Yes, genes should be patented .

Yes, I think that gene should be patented to protect the intellectual rights of those who find them and discover how to use genes for the better of the world. I think that by providing a patent for genes it will create a competitive environment for more scientists to try and discover how to make genes help the world.

• Yes, inventions can be patented.

The fact that inventions are patented leads me to believe that genes should also be able to be patented. They are, in a way, like inventions. Someone comes up with the idea and creates the new gene. Therefore, I believe that they are entitled to patent what they have created so that credit is not taken away from them.

• No, genes should not be patented.

Genes are a natural part of nature. People in science should not be able to be patented, when people in science come across a new gene the law should be that it has to be left alone. Genes are not technology, they should be left alone. When science explores genes to understand farther life they do not realize how they effect the nature of it.

• Yes, they should be

If genes are going to help the better of the world then yes, they should be patented. If scientist and researchers want to use them to cause harm to nature then no they should not be patented. It all falls down to how they want to use the patented genes

• Is this a joke?

Genes are a part of nature. They are not some invention made by an individual. Those who have inventions patented are paid for their inventions. The question would then become, how would someone be paid for this patent on a natural occurrence? Would individuals with this said gene have to pay the person who patented it? This is a ridiculous notion to consider.

• No, genes shouldn't be patented.

Genes should not be patented for the simple fact that most are a natural occurrence. The only type of genes that could be man made are synthetic, and therefore are unnatural. If you were to patent a synthetic gene where would you draw the line on collecting money for everything that gene could be used for?

• No, genes should not be patented

• No, they should not.

While it takes a lot of hard work and effort to discover a new branch of genes, that does not mean they are the ones who created it. Genes are a natural part of our living world, it is not something one person should be allowed to claim right over.