Should government censor the lyrics of violent or explicit songs?

• Drugs, sex, and violence are not for kids.

I believe it should be censored because all the younger kids listen to these stations and music and might get ideas from all the things about sex, drugs and violence. Kids of this generation are already doing these things at around age 12 and 13. Kids in the next many years to come will be doing it at possibly even a younger age than they are now.

• yes

Music lyrics should be censored not in the intent to downcast the creativity put into each song, but to better moderate the filth modern day Americans are exposed and influenced by through the lyrics of drugs, sex, cursing, mocking religion. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of awesome songs out there with encouraging messages, but as a 16-year-old teenager, I want music to be censored because personally I don't care to hear a bunch of dirty crap in a song, no matter how catchy the tune is, I want an inspiring message

• Why music should be censored.

Music lyrics should be censored not in the intent to downcast the creativity put into each song, but to better moderate the filth modern day Americans are exposed and influenced by through the lyrics of drugs, sex, cursing, mocking religion.
    Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of awesome songs out there with encouraging messages, but as a 16-year-old teenager, I want music to be censored because personally I don't care to hear a bunch of dirty crap in a song, no matter how catchy the tune is, I want an inspiring message.

• silence the harsh language

Yes it should be censored and I understand that if I don't want to hear it then turn it off but young men and women are still listening to it. Quotes like "imma beat you up like Emmett Till" shouldn't even be thought of. People should be inspired not convinced that derogatory terms and violence is positive and cool. There are studies that listening to violent and explicit music has an effect on our mental health making us more aggressive.

• Children don't and can't control the music.

The parents should really think about what they let their children listen to. Even at the young age of two years old, which is when they start learning how to talk, children mock what they see and hear. We as parents need to stop the violent language and the negativity of how to treat each other. The sex lyrics are violent and interprets the love between two people to be a domestic situation, rather than a caring and supportive relationship. We try to teach the younger generation how to be nice and caring and honest, but the lyrics to many different styles of music, are teaching them how to not care about themselves or anyone else.

Posted by: tami
  • It should be censored.

I follow the jurisdiction of Nadine Strossen, who argued that freedom of expression should be censored under the following conditions: 1) When it is likely to cause immediate harm. 2) When it is part of violent behavior. And 3) When it is addressed to a captive audience that is unable to avoid its harmful effects.

• No, I oppose the government censoring lyrics of violent or explicit songs, because of our freedom of speech.

Government should not be allowed to censor the lyrics of violent or explicit songs, because it takes away from the message that the person who wrote it originally wanted to portray. I do agree with putting a warning on these songs and CDs letting parents know that there is explicit content on the CDs. But ultimately, it is the parents' obligation to keep their children from listening to things they don't want them to hear.

Posted by: A Whitehead
  • Much like tobacco companies, the music industry targets young people for a majority of their sales. Since that demographic has proven that they are unwilling to police themselves, the government must step in to do so.

As Paul Harvey said many times, "Self government won't work without self discipline." The music industry has had every chance to police itself, but has chosen profits over decency. Much like tobacco, the music industry targets our young people for their sales and they should not be subjected to such trash.

Posted by: F Clayton
  • Censorship would be an effective method of keeping gangsta rap out of the hands of the people who are most susceptible to suffering from its corrosive message.

Those who would proactively go to some lengths to obtain the material through black market channels in the event of censorship are not the intended target for such a censorship to affect.

• yes

Theres always room for change

yes, children are going to hear the vulgarity at school and in public but why is it nessescary to have them hear it while in the car or listening to their radio in a playroom? Frankly, throwing in crude and sexual lyrics is not that hard so i dont think censoring songs on PUBLIC radio is taking creativity away. Maybe the idea of censoring has nothing to do with rights of the people. it could strictly come down to your values and morals. Im seventeen years old, do i like rap music? yes. But do i think its necessary to have the F-bomb and descriptions of intercorse over the radio? No. i think you can enjoy music just as much without descriminating, mocking or offending certain religons and or people.

• Listen to watch I have to say.. Ok?

Listening to explicit music doesn't do anything bad to you, you won't end up doing drugs, disrespecting people, or just being bad. I'm a teen and I always listen to explicit songs, I'm good, respectful, and I don't do drugs. Whenever I listen to explicit songs I feel like I escaped all the drama and went to my own world away from people that are annoying me and getting me mad. You may think I'm lying but I'm not.

• No, because of Freedom of Speech

Free speech.
    If someone grows up in a violent environment, that would be all they know. It would be the only way they knew how to express themselves. Taking that away from them would be like banning their language. Some of these people went through violent situations; this is the reality for them. Violence in their lyrics is their way of honestly telling their stories to the world. Also, it’s a good way for them to cope with their past; by expressing it through words instead of violence in the real world.

• No

It is the right of all the people living in the United States of America to have the right to voice their own opinion whether it be wrong or right. If the goverment were to censor the lyrics in any violent or explict song it would be a very large violation of the first amendment. Any form of censorship from the goverment besides the bleeping on the radio would defeat everything that the patriots who fought for our freedom and our own laws fought for. The goverment has no right to tell us what we can and cannot listen to on our free time or at work. I understand that the goverment wants to improve our way of living and our social pshcology but they can't baby us by blocking out violent or explicit lyrics we are all civiliced enough to know what is wrong and right. End of story.

• No government censorship.

If you do not want your child listening to such graphic and explicit music, then be a parent, step up and say no! If your child is young enough, wash his or her mouth out with soap. It isn't that hard to keep your child under control. Be the better person.

• Whats the point?

Yes, it's obvious to everyone that if you don't like it or aren't mature enough you shouldn't be listening to it. It's not like there is only one station for everyone to listen to. Songs that are explicit are an escape for some people and to have it censored is like having our feelings oppressed.

• Music is a way of expressing who we are

Just becuase a song has violent words doesn't mean it should be banned. Music is a way everyone expresses themselves and everyone expresses themselves diffrently. So by taking that away your taking part od another person away. There would be out rage if people couldn't listen to wht they wanted to. If a song you don't like come on or one you think people shouln't listen to that's your opinion change the song not have peoples freedoms taken away just becuase you don't like it.

• No. Freedom of speech shall not interfere by any government.

UN Declaration of Human Rights said: "Whereas disregard and contempt for human rights have resulted in barbarous acts which have outraged the conscience of mankind, and the advent of a world in which human beings shall enjoy freedom of speech and belief and freedom from fear and want has been proclaimed as the highest aspiration of the common people," These are all forms of freedom and explicit songs are parts of entertainment. Why did the government have the right to censor the lyrics of violent or explicit songs wherein the government is incompetent?

• No. These are forms of freedom of speech

UDHCR states that "Whereas disregard and contempt for human rights have resulted in barbarous acts which have outraged the conscience of mankind, and the advent of a world in which human beings shall enjoy freedom of speech and belief and freedom from fear and want has been proclaimed as the highest aspiration of the common people," The government shall not interfere the rights of man.

• Shouldn't the artists have a say? What about other forms of media?

Sometimes people want to get their point across, just because one group of people feels a song's lyrics are too questionable for a certain type of person what's to say that everyone should have to adapt for that? And if you look at the past plenty of bands used profanity in their songs, and this was in a time when it wasn't common for this language to be used in art. Expressing feelings and creating art is something that would become something to fear if you start censoring what you can use and say. Also wouldn't it be better to use a swear word than to use violence? A word doesn't tell you to go do violent things, bad decisions do. If you censor music then they can't swear, but when you turn on the news you see clips of violence in war or you see something else that has violence and they don't have to make that look appealing only for people who are use to seeing it, everyone can watch the news and they show worse things than music can say. If you censor the words in music you'll have to censor all the television shows that do the same thing and all the movies and what about art with nudity? Just because something has something that has adult content doesn't mean it should be censored to everyone, if you wouldn't want your children to listen to music with swearing in it then you should trying taking responsibility for what your kid listens to.

• Quality is more important

The quality of the music is always more important. I have heard clean versions of Ridin' by Chamillionaire and Scream and Shout by Will.I.Am and they sound really messed up. The original uncensored version is always better! And when I was a kid, I listened to music with swearing in it, like that of Green Day. And I still do!

brennon says2015-01-30T19:24:15.893
Ggv
brennon says2015-01-30T19:24:41.117
Gayyyyy
EmC2 says2016-03-22T17:58:46.770
Well first off, people have the freedom of speech. When a song artist writes a song, they may use explicit content, but that is their message to write and the government should not change that. Many people think censoring music will rid it of its talk about drugs, sex and violence, but all censoring really does is remove curse words. If all the music in the world was truly censored, meaning getting rid of all its sexual, drug related, and violent lyrics, than what music WOULD we have? People like music like this because it makes them feel different; for example I listen to music because it's an escape from the world and I can comprehend something else about someone else's life. Music should not be censored because first, it doesn't do what people think it does, it violates freedom of speech, and it changes the message the song is trying to send.