Should government censor the lyrics of violent or explicit songs?

• yes

Music lyrics should be censored not in the intent to downcast the creativity put into each song, but to better moderate the filth modern day Americans are exposed and influenced by through the lyrics of drugs, sex, cursing, mocking religion. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of awesome songs out there with encouraging messages, but as a 16-year-old teenager, I want music to be censored because personally I don't care to hear a bunch of dirty crap in a song, no matter how catchy the tune is, I want an inspiring message

• Drugs, sex, and violence are not for kids.

I believe it should be censored because all the younger kids listen to these stations and music and might get ideas from all the things about sex, drugs and violence. Kids of this generation are already doing these things at around age 12 and 13. Kids in the next many years to come will be doing it at possibly even a younger age than they are now.

• Why music should be censored.

Music lyrics should be censored not in the intent to downcast the creativity put into each song, but to better moderate the filth modern day Americans are exposed and influenced by through the lyrics of drugs, sex, cursing, mocking religion.
    Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of awesome songs out there with encouraging messages, but as a 16-year-old teenager, I want music to be censored because personally I don't care to hear a bunch of dirty crap in a song, no matter how catchy the tune is, I want an inspiring message.

• It should be censored.

I follow the jurisdiction of Nadine Strossen, who argued that freedom of expression should be censored under the following conditions: 1) When it is likely to cause immediate harm. 2) When it is part of violent behavior. And 3) When it is addressed to a captive audience that is unable to avoid its harmful effects.

• No, I oppose the government censoring lyrics of violent or explicit songs, because of our freedom of speech.

Government should not be allowed to censor the lyrics of violent or explicit songs, because it takes away from the message that the person who wrote it originally wanted to portray. I do agree with putting a warning on these songs and CDs letting parents know that there is explicit content on the CDs. But ultimately, it is the parents' obligation to keep their children from listening to things they don't want them to hear.

Posted by: A Whitehead
  • Children don't and can't control the music.

The parents should really think about what they let their children listen to. Even at the young age of two years old, which is when they start learning how to talk, children mock what they see and hear. We as parents need to stop the violent language and the negativity of how to treat each other. The sex lyrics are violent and interprets the love between two people to be a domestic situation, rather than a caring and supportive relationship. We try to teach the younger generation how to be nice and caring and honest, but the lyrics to many different styles of music, are teaching them how to not care about themselves or anyone else.

Posted by: tami
  • silence the harsh language

Yes it should be censored and I understand that if I don't want to hear it then turn it off but young men and women are still listening to it. Quotes like "imma beat you up like Emmett Till" shouldn't even be thought of. People should be inspired not convinced that derogatory terms and violence is positive and cool. There are studies that listening to violent and explicit music has an effect on our mental health making us more aggressive.

• Government should censor the lyrics of violent or explicit songs.

Yes. The government has a moral duty to censor harmful material for the wider social good. It is in line with this role, therefore, for the government to take such steps as it thinks necessary to protect the public morality and public safety. Individual liberty is secondary to the public good.

• Glorifying violence in music is never good for a civilized society.

Whether its gangster rap, heavy metal music, or anything other type of music, if the lyrics of the song promote, glorify, or portray violence in a favorable light it should be censored. If a society allows it's people and especially it's youth to be exposed to harmful messages of this type it hurts the society. It is likely these violent messages in the music will influence some to commit the acts that the artists are singing about and that is never acceptable. I think as a society we should discourage evil in any form and glorifying violence is evil. On the same topic I believe that music that glorifies racism should also be censored. I consider racism and violence equally evil and both should be discouraged.

People have freedom of speech, but I don't believe that writing songs that glorify violence is free speach. Just as threating someone is not free speech. If a muslim came to this nation and wrote a song praising the terrorists for crashing the planes into the twin towers and encoraging others to do it, would it be acceptable? If not, they why would sining about raping a woman or robbing a store be acceptable?

• It doesn't have to be extreme, it just has to protect the people

Music censorship can be as simple as putting ratings on movies or parental advisory stickers on violent video games.
    We have to do these things so parents can know what their children are being exposed and know without watching every single movie or listening to every single song in the world what is appropriate for their children.

Music censorship will just prevent people from saying horrible things- you don't want to walk into a store and have something about you (race, religion, nation of origin, gender, sexual orientation) insulted any more than I do. Without censorship, that might happen.
    Censorship does not take freedom of speech unless it is a huge threat "Romney should have won" is okay "The government is evil, get together and kill Obama" is not! Censorship doesn't say people CAN'T say something, they can still sell CDs or have people subscribe to music, it just says I can't be walking through the mall bringing my 2 year old to see Santa and hear a song about how cool heroin is, not a ridiculous thing to ask!

• No, because of Freedom of Speech

Free speech.
    If someone grows up in a violent environment, that would be all they know. It would be the only way they knew how to express themselves. Taking that away from them would be like banning their language. Some of these people went through violent situations; this is the reality for them. Violence in their lyrics is their way of honestly telling their stories to the world. Also, it’s a good way for them to cope with their past; by expressing it through words instead of violence in the real world.

• No

It is the right of all the people living in the United States of America to have the right to voice their own opinion whether it be wrong or right. If the goverment were to censor the lyrics in any violent or explict song it would be a very large violation of the first amendment. Any form of censorship from the goverment besides the bleeping on the radio would defeat everything that the patriots who fought for our freedom and our own laws fought for. The goverment has no right to tell us what we can and cannot listen to on our free time or at work. I understand that the goverment wants to improve our way of living and our social pshcology but they can't baby us by blocking out violent or explicit lyrics we are all civiliced enough to know what is wrong and right. End of story.

• Listen to watch I have to say.. Ok?

Listening to explicit music doesn't do anything bad to you, you won't end up doing drugs, disrespecting people, or just being bad. I'm a teen and I always listen to explicit songs, I'm good, respectful, and I don't do drugs. Whenever I listen to explicit songs I feel like I escaped all the drama and went to my own world away from people that are annoying me and getting me mad. You may think I'm lying but I'm not.

• No government censorship.

If you do not want your child listening to such graphic and explicit music, then be a parent, step up and say no! If your child is young enough, wash his or her mouth out with soap. It isn't that hard to keep your child under control. Be the better person.

• Whats the point?

Yes, it's obvious to everyone that if you don't like it or aren't mature enough you shouldn't be listening to it. It's not like there is only one station for everyone to listen to. Songs that are explicit are an escape for some people and to have it censored is like having our feelings oppressed.

• Freedom of speech and our rights

No it shouldn't, because there is good music out there with bad words and that shouldn't be taken away from us just because some people don't like that language. If you don't like it,don't listen. But don't take it away from the rest of us who enjoy that music. .

• Destroying Freedom of Expression

Parents should be the one to decide what their children do or don't listen to. They can prevent their child from searching certain topics online and from watching certain tv channels, or even from listening to certain radio stations. The government on the other hand, need to worry more about running our country smoothly and less about parenting styles.

• A message to you.

No it is not god for them to rap songs that is wrong parent should teach them chldren from young to no what they doing they also curse why rapping always saying native things not evey one like rap music,some people love ,love raps people have said that freedom of speech which is true.They should have freedom to speech to describe there feelings and to show love to one anther.Poetry is one of the most important thing to me and it mite not be importantant to other put to all the peole who like to rap please find something good to do or change that rap into some love rap.

• Why i said no?

I said no because i don't want any voilent things to happen in trinidad and tobago or in the other country i just want to live life like other people but that is not fair if peple dieing one bo one and more the president come in power is thing happening in tis country nothing good i going on but on't worry we voting she out soon.

• <---- people over there please take your time to read what I have to say

No they should not. Rap songs and or Hip hop or any censored song doesn't mean its entirely bad. Song writers use words to describe how they feel, how they think of something. You should hear kids nowadays. They use curse words to describe how they feel but just because they do, do not mean they are bad people. Just because someone curses in a song, do not mean they are bad people. Sure not everyone likes rap music. But that's your opinion. Some people love rap music. Some people love nicki manaj some don't. Also after reading a few of other opinions, A LOT of people have said that people have freedom of speech which is true. They have freedom of speech to describe there feelings. Ever read a poem? Its not all just quiet and simple English. I've read poetry with curse words before. And according to the people who say yes are you going to automatically think that is wrong? Perhaps you will. But hey its freedom of speech we have our own rights to say what we want to say and say what we feel. Poetry is like rap. Describing how you feel and how you feel about other things or people. And if your going to say rap is bad. Your basically saying poetry is too. And their is nothing wrong with expressing yourself. And I saw how some people said government should because kids are doing drugs or having sex and stuff. We'll that's not because of the music they listen to. That's because of how they feel. Do you REALLY know your kids?? Because some kids get emotionally locked up inside their own thoughts and decide to destroy themselves by doing drugs and other things. Its not the music effecting them. It can be other things too. Oh and ever heard that saying people say " music helps me feel okay" it doesn't matter what kind of music it is but to some kids, listening to rap music or explicit songs make them feel like their not the only ones feeling the way they feel. SO YOU PEOPLE WHO ARE SAYING THE GOVERNMENT SHOULD HAVE NO IDEA HOW EXPLICIT MUSIC FEELS TO OTHER PEOPLE.