Should government continue to pay unemployment benefits?

• Government should pay unemployment benefits

If People need the money they should get. Also if they are looking for a job they are trying. I could see it if they were only looking at jobs they can't get but if they are truly trying they should get it. Especially if they have a family to take care of.

• Paid insurance by employee

They should extend it only till there benefit runs out , if they are qualified to total of 1 year benefit they should get there 1 year benefit, because they paid for it .Unemployment benefit is not free unemployed was employed and that time they where employed that they are paying for it. It's not from the government the money come from its from the unemployed. If you think that unemployment benefit is paid by other employed then you wrong

• Unemployment is the people's money, not the government's in the first place.

Taxpayer's pay in for unemployment insurance, so it is just the people's money being returned back to them. I know this for a fact, because one job I was employed w/I didn't have unemployment deducted. When I got laid off, I was approved for unemployment at $0 a month. I have an actual statement that says that.

• Yes, it should

Yes, the government should continue to pay unemployment. People who used to work had been paying taxes for it, so it's not exactly a handout. And finding a job is not easy these days. People with families and no income to support these families need help. If they are looking for work but simply can't get a job, it's not their fault.

• Yes They Should

Unemployment benefits are the basis of a modern society. Social welfare is beneficial to the overall well being of everybody. It improves the standard of living. Furthermore, it allows people to avoid rock bottom while they are looking for work. Unemployment has been a problem caused by international economics, allowing people to get small checks while searching for work isn't that bad.

• Government should continue to pay unemployment benefits

unemployment benefits are a staple of modern society. They allow people who need help to get it. Somebody who can be productive sometimes needs a temporary boost before they can be self sufficient again. Is the system abused? Yes, but even so, it is such a small amount of the overall fiscal budget.

• Unemployment

Yes, I personally believe that government should continue to pay unemployment benefits to those without work with some exceptions. My mom has been out of work for 3 years, but she is close to 60 years old and no one will hire her because of age. How are people like her supposed to pay bills with no job and no unemployment?

• Little incentive to work

Having unemployment gives little incentive to work due to the fact that the government gives you money to do nothing. Why get a job if you get get paid for doing nothing. This is a problem that unemployment offers. This is why unemployment should be gotten rid of and people should get a job instead.

• If you don't work, then you don't deserve the money.

If your going to pay people free money to be unemployed, then how about everyone just stop working. Then lets see what we get done. It's just not fair for people who don't work for money to get money. You stop paying them money to be unemployed, then we'll have more workers, and get more work done.

• We pay for them to sit on their butts

It is not fair to us employed people for money we EARN to be deducted from our salaries and then just handed over to people who can't get up and earn for themselves. If they need money, they should go get a job! If they can't get a good one, they can become the janitor somewhere but they don't deserve to feast on our money like that.

• Can anyone Elaborate

Can anyone elaborate on this topic ? Like what if once the allowance is given to one particular person but he wastes the entire amount. After doing this hr again apply for the same. In such a condition will he get the benefit again, so someone please elaborate the topic itself.

• Why bother looking for a job?

There are many people in this country who have fine tuned the art of living off government handouts- these people are a leech on our society. There are also people who are actually in need of some help while they are temporarily unemployed and looking for a new job- this is why we can't get rid of te concept. These benefits have to have a termination point. There are always jobs put there, even if they are considered below what a previous job was (food service, etc). Bottom line- as long as the money keeps coming from the taxpayers, what is the incentive to look for a job???

• Why get a job?

Human nature says if I can make it on what unemployment pays I will look for a job when it runs out. I worked for a company for 27 years which employed 750 people in a rural community of 900. Noone would take a job unless their unemployment benefits were about to run out. Extending benefits can only be contemplated from a political standpoint. Otherwise it makes no sense. I have personally talked to many people since the current economic downturn and everyone has stated that they could find a job but they were not intending to look until their benefits got close to running out! Again, why do our politicians want to extend benefits. They must truly believe Americans are stupid.

• We are paying for them to sit on their butts.

Almost the majority of all unemployed people, are those who take advantage of the government. The government are paying for people to sit on their butts while the rest of us are out working and making money which is taxed and then given to those who do nothing! It's like building a toy Lego house, then having to give some of it to the kids who were napping whilst you were building it!

• Not every unemployed person needs support.

It beats me why people could be paying hundreds of dollars whilst in the university, and all of a sudden they say they can't fend for themselves! There are surely some people who are in need of help because of incapacitation or some other reasons. Those people are few and they can be helped. But every other strong and healthy fellow should contribute to the economy before they economy should reward him.

• Wal-Mart, McDonald's Always Hiring

Our nation wasn't founded on laziness. Washington, Jefferson and Adams didn't wait for handouts from King George III. Unemployment benefits should cease for those who have either 1) been without a job for too long or 2) have stopped looking for work. Retailers such as Wal-Mart and fast food places such as McDonald's hire people all the time. Do what hard-working Americans do and work two full-time jobs if necessary to get back up on your feet and become productive. Unemployment has a limited place in our society.

Quan says2013-12-31T13:39:07.727
I think whenever someone asks a question like this, they should replace the word "government" with "taxpayers" and see if it still makes sense. Short answer: no, taxpayers money should not be redistributed to any individual as unemployment benefits.
Jingram994 says2013-12-31T15:36:34.223
You do realize that the paying of taxes is in and of itself a form of redistribution, right?

So people who can't support themselves and/or find employment should just go and die in a gutter, is that about right?