Should Government make food stamp recipients go through routine drug testing?

Asked by: dan40000000
  • Yes and No

I am on the fence....My reason for saying no has nothing to do with people going hungry and more to do with what it will cost the state to have people take drug tests send it to the lab. Ect. I think it will depend on what the cost will be and if it i will outweigh the benefits and how this will effect the amount of taxes that are being stolen from my income. It makes me laugh when people are complaining about how it is wrong to not give out food stamps..I am willing to be if they canceled foodstamps all together and took less money from our taxes and gave people the option to donate part of their income to feed the poor....How many of those people who are pro welfare would donate any of their money to feed them.

• Yes they should

People who recieve any sort of welfare, other then free rehab, should have to take a drug test. Period. Druggie parents that won't or don't pass should have their kids taken away. The only issues i can see is that a parent who is poor wont feed their kid with a low income and wont get tested/stamps as they are afraid they will get caught. I say when parents claim this low of an income on taxes and have kids social services should be checking to make sure the kids are fed.

• Of course they should

If people have addictions there are plenty of charities that are very willing to help. So it is not impossible to do. If people are spending their money on drugs then how can we justify helping them with food. If they have kids those kids can be placed in foster care and let's be honest foster care isn't great but it's better than a druggy parent who is super unstable that is even worse. Giving these people food is like giving a fat person soda and cake. It's only making the problem worse and isn't helping at all.

• Taking food out of the equation won't help

If you know any thing about addiction, you would know that the person in question would do just about any thing to get their next fix, and if you've been on them {drugs} long enough, food will become less and less important, so the drugs is where the money that they have will go. By taking away their source of food, and stressing them out even more then they are, you can actually make that need for their next fix even worse, and make it harder for them to quite.

To o0jeannie0o: I like the free rehab Idea, but I'm sure that you'll find any doc will agree that that putting more stress on the individual is counter productive

• Yes and No

• States already tried this and it failed

Arizona, Kansas, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, Tennessee, and Utah spent hundreds of thousands of dollars 0.002 percent to 8.3 percent, but all except one have a rate below 1 percent. Meanwhile, they’ve collectively spent nearly $1 million on the effort, and millions more may have to be spent in coming years.

deacc says2015-08-06T23:24:55.080
Neither. Food stamps needs to be abolish.
dan40000000 says2015-08-07T03:20:18.770
I agree with you but that won't happen sadly.