• Yes the government should

What if someone cannot afford healthcare? It is a necessity, and everyone is entitled to it. The government should provide it because for example: say some one is in desperate need to help, but simply cannot afford it, should they die? Seriously. And we would be partially paying for it in taxes anyways. But just, much less money. So yes.

• Yes of course it should

Who are you to say that a person should not be given help when in need. If person is unable to afford the cost of health care then does that mean that they should die. Anyone in the world can get ill it doesn't matter whether or not they have money so why should it matter if they have money when it comes to saving their lives. Or what about a child an innocent child who doesn't have money. Is it their fault that their parents are unfortunate not to be wealthy enough to pay for health care. That child hasn't had the chance to earn money but it is already being asked to pay up for health care.

• Adverse Selection and Excess Care

The problem with insurance is that those who need insurance are more likely to purchase meaning that when a healthy person wants to buy insurance the cost is higher because insurance companies cover more unhealthy people and thus charge more for programs. If all people are forced to buy insurance then the average cost of covering each person goes down. Insurance companies make more money and more people get healthcare.

Also, right now doctors make more money by providing excess care regardless of the outcome of the procedure. There is no incentive to make people healthier faster. It is in the doctor's best interest to run every test possible before treatment. Often times this just leads to complications. The incentive of doctor's to do this is reduced if the government is paying for the treatment than if insurance companies are.

• Yes, Government should provide healthcare

A government should provide healthcare because it is a basic right for all individuals. We provide education for all children, with a private option for those who choose, and I feel that should be an option for the health of everyone. Currently people who are too poor to afford healthcare utilize Emergency rooms and Emergency care, without the ability to pay for incredibly high medical bills. Those bills go unpaid, leaving the rest of the population with higher bills to cover those costs. We should be providing care that is preventative, that costs less, to ensure the health of all people. The government's responsibility it to it's people- their education, their safety, and especially their health.

• Yes, Government Should Provide Healthcare

A government should provide healthcare for all of its citizens because it makes for a healthier society overall. Any community is made stronger by the strength of its citizens and a healthy community is definitely a stronger community. When all of the people in a community are as strong/healthy as they can possibly be, they can better contribute to the workforce.

• Absolutely...Yes, yes, yes!

I remember watching an episode of West Wing and this subject was part of one of their discussions.

I can't remember all of it but I do remember that Sam's character, played by Rob Lowe brought up this scenario...What if before we were actually born, we were made aware of all the people who are born with disabilities, deformities and /or illnesses that have previously affected mankind, what would our choice then be if we had to choose whether or not a government should provide healthcare for everyone or not...Most people would likely choose YES...If they were asked to make that choice prior to being born.

It is much easier to say no when you have been born healthy first, then if you had to decide prior to being born and knew that you could very well be born...Unhealthy or disabled...Etc.

• Government should provide health care

First and most importantly we've had health care for the poor in the form of medicaid and planned parenting medicaid. The demand for medical in this Country is not a want but a need. I recently lost my medical ( I work for Wal-mart Logistics) due to a new policy. I've worked that job for 10 years and now I'm left with no health care. In my town the jobs don't pay much and most only hire part time workers. Well part time workers don't get medical benefits. I am at a lost because the ability to find a job with medical is a serious struggle. I recently found out I have a serious medical issue dealing with my digestive system. I have no clue what to do. I pay taxes and I followed the rule of life...I went to College, got a "good job", I don;t have a criminal record. I may die simply because I can't afford health care on my own. As a citizen we may need assistance from the government and for me it's now

• Goes without saying...

This is a free country!!! I have the right to drink, snort, smoke, eat, shoot up, drop, pop, huff whatever and however much I want with the expectation others should fit the bill for my care when the time comes. You stingy people who want to keep a majority of the money you sacrifice your time and talents to earn make me sick...

• Living Up to Our Roots

Well first of all since The Declaration of Independence was signed in 1776, the United States has had a culture of helping others. Furthermore it has an obligation to protect it's citizens; whether that be from cancer or from a foreign invasion. Also from an economics standpoint it needs to keep its citizens healthy for the same reason car owners perform routine maintenance; if you don't keep your citizens healthy, they can't go to work to pay taxes and end up using up resources rather than contributing them. However, I do believe that they should provide it to those who need it/want it, not force it down the throats of those who would not have purchased it if they had not been forced to.

• The Government SHOULD provide healthcare to citizens of the United States!

The United States is considered one of the more wealthy countries of the world. The government already makes a ton of money, and keeps a lot of it to themselves. The government has lost its care for the country over the past 25 years. If the government cared they would provide some sort of health care to the people. Without the people there would be no government. The government Throws a ton of money away every year. Even our neighbor country to the north, Canada provides health care to there people and makes less money than the united States but still provides health care to all of their citizens. THE GOVERNMENT ONLY CARES ABOUT THEMSELVES!!! WE need to change this country back to its good, free, and loving country it used to be!!!!!!!!!

• Ineffective and Costly

Firstly we all know that the government is quite ineffective at it's job. WE were created on the premises of liberty. Some people (admittedly not that smart) do not want health care. This idea is like the government forcing people to eat Burger King over McDonald's. The government is going to pick favorites because certain companies have a relationship with one or more federal politicians as a result of lobbying. The government is not the worlds expert on healthcare, but rather companies who have been doing it perfectly well. If the government reduces competition prices will go up as you no longer need to have as competitive pricing.

• Our government is already broke; quit trying to get handouts. Everything has a price and nobody said that life was going to be fair.

The government will not be able to provide enough money to guarantee the use of the most innovative methods of treatment. It is not a secret that medicine and medical equipment are outrageously expensive. Moreover, government has several branches of the social sector, such as education and culture, which also do not produce anything, but need funding. Providing enough money for all these spheres will sooner or later result in the budget deficit and, as a result, in the increase of taxes, which means that the main financial burden is on an average citizen again.

• Kills Economy AND Not a Duty of the United States READ BELOW READ BELOW

Many people simply debate on the topic of whether health care is a necessity or not, but I will get to that after I speak on how the ECONOMY IS BEING AFFECTED. I have a client that I was speaking to in regards to their largely franchised business and Obamacare. She explained that she now has to cut hundreds of employees hours because she cannot afford to pay for the new health care that is being required by the federal government. As a nation, we are now losing jobs because of Obamacare without even realizing it. Now to the second part of my argument. The United States IS NOT responsible to give health care to their citizens. Many people believe that it is the government's duty/right/responsibility to take care of the governed. This is not true, it is the government's duty/right/responsibility to SECURE THE BASIC RIGHTS: LIFE LIBERTY AND THE PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS. That is ALL the government is to do. Many also say that in the situation of if someone too poor to pay for medical attention needs health care, it should be provided. Actually, when a person is without money (broke) and is in desperate condition (heart attack, stroke, seizure), HOSPITALS STILL TAKE THEM IN. I was talking to a homeless man this past weekend and he said to me that he had to have a complicated surgery done on him involving his kidney. He said that he didn't have to pay a penny and that he was helped anyways. People need to learn that the government is not your "cash daddy." Especially in the economic situation we are in, WE CAN'T EVEN AFFORD HEALTHCARE, YET WE PROVIDE IT. It shocks me how some people are just as vulnerable as a young child, depending on the government for just about everything. I just hope everyone wakes up and realizes that they must grow up.

• No they shoulden't

In America we pride ourselves in private industry, independence, and individualism. Private Healthcare industries cannot compete with the government as a competitor because the government's funds come from the business owners who pay their taxes to fuel the government run healthcare programs that end up destroying their own business. There.

• This is a Terrible Idea

To put this short, by the government providing health care is just another way of telling us that we have to pay more taxes as it already is. Some of us can't even support ourselves under the amounts of taxes and now we have to pay even more to people that don't even deserve it!? Come on Obama!

• It's quit ridiculous that the government wants to do this.

The government now has not been able to create a good enough healthcare system. They have turned off many Americans with it. They should stick to being a government and not a healthcare company; There's already enough of those... If president Obama (or should I say king Obama?) would stop blaming people for "ruining" this plan, and just take responsibility for this mess that it's been since the beginning, then maybe we could have redone it and started over. My family and myself, who already have very good healthcare (through my fathers WORK!) should not have our healthcare canceled because of the government! Since when has it been okay for the government to destroy business and jobs from its own nation? I do feel bad for these people who don't have healthcare, but it's in most cases that they chose to not have healthcare. People need to go out and look for jobs and get jobs. They can get healthcare from their work place, not the government who already provides everything for them.

• No - Governments Cannot Provide Health Care Fairly and Efficiently

No, government should not provide health care because it cannot do so fairly and efficiently. Without market incentives to allocate resources, the government will constantly be picking winners and losers. This will inevitably lead to unfairness, because some people will inevitably receive favors in the allocation of care. Where health care is left to the free market, there are charity programs to ensure that all people receive care, and high-risk pools to allow most people to obtain insurance coverage.

• What does it effect, as a whole?

Government provided healthcare will only increase the amount of taxes that those, who are barely making enough to support their families, must pay. It will diminish the quality of care each individual receives when going to see their physician. The people that are in the Emergency Room and in the hospital will increase, and the ability to get an appointment within a reasonable amount of time will be eliminated. To top it all off, the government will be the one to decide what kind of care the patient receives. Do you really want the government making decisions about what care you are allowed to get, and what type of procedures you can have? At least most insurance companies have a board that include some medical professionals that allow a decision to be made about a person's health and their needs.
    It's ridiculous to think that any healthcare is truly provided by the government. It isn't government provided, it is citizen provided through taxes. Nothing in this world is free. Everything must be paid for. So the question is, do you want it to be mandatory for people to pay for other people as well as their own health insurance? Or should each individual worry about his own well being with others willingly offering to help him or her?

• Need more personal responsibility in the U.S.

It's simple. People need to start taking care of themselves more. It's all gotten ridiculously out of hand (i.e. having government be your daddy). When it gets to the point when there are more people IN the cart rather than more people pulling the cart, it will all come crashing down anyway. We have our steadily progressive government (since Woodrow Wilson) to thank for this mess.