• Dogs are awesome

Hey its Betty-Jane I'm a 21 year old that has 4 grey hounds ( scout, sandy, rover, and thistle) that have been raced that are not fast enough that were going to be put down if i didn't save their lives. I think and i know that grey hound racing ( and all animal racing) should be banned because its so cruel. Think of it from their perspective. You go out to race and chase this thing then if you are not fast enough you get killed. Unfair right?
    Its stupid and i would not let anyone hurt my doggies would you want to run and get killed or hurt ? :( Betty-Jane

• Most definitely greyhound racing should be banned.

Thank goodness NSW has a Premier in Mike Baird with the character and decency to take decisive and appropriate action and shut down this corrupt and inhumane industry. Those defending Greyhound Racing NSW, the body whose complacency allowed the widespread callous mistreatment of animals to continue unabated for so long, are way out of step with community expectations. The greyhound racing scene is a dark part of Australian culture which needs to be relegated to the past.

• Of course greyhound racing should be banned.

Thank goodness NSW has a Premier in Mike Baird with the decency and character to take appropriate and decisive action against such a corrupt and inhumane industry. Those making excuses for the widespread callous mistreatment of animals are burying their heads in the sand and are way out of touch with the expectations of Australian society.

• One more step for man...

Yes greyhound racing should be banned,we are learning that animals have feelings and are aware of the suffering we cause them,but they are totally left to our wims and mercy ,this suffering cannot be allowed to continue if we want to live in a civilised society.Take the first step,stop this unnecessary vile cruelty

• Yes, it should be banned.

Greyhound racing is a barbaric sport that causes harm to the animals that are being raced. They are being kept in terrible conditions. Greyhounds are also bred in a way that causes them to have horrible health problems. The terrible conditions and genetic problems combined give them short, miserable lives.

• Yes it should be banned

There has been widespread and extreme animal cruelty and cheating through the use of live baiting to entice and train greyhounds. Once the special commission ordered an inquiry they came up with these horrific facts. Considering this scenario,to protect these animals from cruelty the greyhound racing should definitely be banned

• Yes, greyhound racing should be banned.

Yes, greyhound racing should be banned. Sports involving animals in general should be banned. Many animals that are used for betting sports are mistreated. Within greyhound racing, 18,000 dogs are slaughtered every year simply because they were not fast enough. Several countries have started banning greyhound racing in reaction to the animal cruelty that is involved.

• Yes, greyhound racing should be banned

Greyhound racing raises issues in two areas. First, I see this as a significant mistreatment of the animals used in racing. Although I am not personally a huge animal activist, I don't think animals should be mistreated purely for sport. Second, greyhound racing promotes gambling, which is a serious addiction for many people. I don't think any good comes from gambling and most people only lose money. Gambling doesn't only affect the people that do it, but it affects families and children as well. For those reasons, I think greyhound racing should be banned.

• I say BAN IT!!!!!!

1. It promotes gambling. There are many addictsto gambling, and those addicts end up not being able to pay their bills so they are in debt to the government. Gambling sometimes make a rich family become not able to fun them selves. Think of the kids involved. Greyhound racing is one of the biggest gambling sports.

2. Euthanising. Whoever decided killing piglets and kittens makes greyhound grow faster, well, your an idiot. 17 000 greyhound are killed because when they are not fast enough anymore, they are euthanised. Many people have pets...Imagine if your favourite bunny or kitty I’d tied to a post, while it is still alive, and swung around a racetrack. While it’s limbs are being torn from its body by dogs. I wouldn’t want my pet to be in that position either.

Those who say it is ‘fun’ to watch greyhounds race, I don’t agree.You ‘enjoy’ watching greyhounds plus many other animals killed. ‘Those of you that say ‘it brings jobs’.....There are many, many jobs outside of greyhound racing.People who volunteer to kill animals shouldn’t work with them.

• Are the jobs really worth it?

I see that many people in this thread have argued that greyhound racing "creates jobs" and "is good for the economy". However, do you really believe that the "jobs" (which I must say is only another name for the torture of these greyhounds), are worth the deaths, injuries and horrible lives these animals are living?

Inumerous amounts of greyhounds suffer injuries each year, due to the intense conditions they are placed in as part of the races. Do you honestly think these dogs are given a comfortable lifestyle, with plenty of outside time and decent food? The industry thrives off cramming the hounds into small cages and providing the bare minimum of food, and then expecting these abused creatures to perform at their best on the track. They've been deprived and are clearly undernourished, and this is because of the people out there who still support and continue to fund this practice.

And to those of you who deem greyhound racing "fun", I urge you to place yourself in such a citizen where YOU are the greyhound. My mind is utterly blown by all these people who believe humans have the right to exercise power over all beings that exist, and that they are merely here for OUR entertainment.

• AWesome beans =_=

Becoz it is not as cruel as people think. Greyhound racing provides jobs and stuff. Australian pastime. Nationalism IT is also an activity that some people my enjoy doing sense of patriostism and can provide jobs to those who do nto have the jobs to keep living peacefully in australian and the worlds

• They can stop in the middle of a race if they want

Omg you just dont see it do you if greyhound racing gets bamned then thousands will lose their jobs and thousands of greyhounds will die greyhounds are not forced to run they dont even have to come out of the boxes if they dont want to they could stop and go to the toilet in the middle of a race if they wanted it is not crule at all

• Let them run.

Greyhound racing in NSW should continue. The reaction from Mr Baird to ban the sport was the easy way out after his government failed the industry an the people involved he has discarded the involvement of his governments role that has bought it to its knees .Reform the industry the 79 recommendations is the way forward . The report which is floored in a lot of areas an because of that it will not stand as a report of fact it will indeed be a better piece of evidence for a defense . Now to Mr mchoue an his wife witch are both reported left wing activists know wonder it came to this. Come on give em a go to get it right reform regulate get behind the good people LET THE DOGS RUN! We are Australian

• Ban the trainers

I don't think we should ban Greyhound racing as it is a good sport. We should only ban the trainers killing the dogs. These dogs are innocent and should just retire, not killed. In NSW premier Mile Baird is banning them. They should not be banned as many jobs and fun will be lost.