Should gun buyers be required to pass mental health tests?

• Of course they should.

They are applying for a deadly weapon, at the very least there should be a comprehensive mental health evaluation to go along with purchase. It's the least the government could do to protect the public. I to have rights, and among those are life liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

• Guns are deadly weapons

Only people who are of sound mind and can make good judgments ought to have the legal right to buy a gun, which is a deadly weapon. Furthermore, I believe that assault rifles ought to be banned. If someone wants to use that type of weapon, he or she can join the military and go fight in a war. No one needs this type of weapon for self-defense.

• This is exactly what i mean!

They should go through a thorough examination testing their psychological history, and so should everyone living with that person. If even a single person in that family has a suspicious incident on their record, they should NOT be approved. This is how gun laws should work!

• Yes, they absolutely should!

You have to pass a mental health exam to be a police officer or fire fighter. Why shouldn't you have to pass one to own a deadly weapon? Someone who has a diminished capacity for any reason should not own a firearm, it's too risky. It's risky for them and for society. The only problem is, many people who are mentally ill and violent are also incredibly bright, and could probably pass the mental health exam quite easily.

• Why not?

A mental health test might not end the problem but it might stop one case of mass murder. In the case of LANZA the guns were bought by the mother. Had mental health testing been done on the whole household those guns would not have been put into his hands. As far as the cost to the testing, tell that to the parents that are laying their children to rest. Life is more valuable than money, or it should be at least. I am not talking all guns just the ones that can fire 45 rounds in a minute, who really needs that kind of power?

• Its not a big change in my eye

You dont give people with autism or other health illnesses weapons, so why do we? Im talking about Licensed dealers, they say "its already a law" but they arent punshied and they still do it, Cruz is a great example, it make no sense why we thought he was fit to have a weapon

• Its getting to be obvious to pass mental health exam to buy guns

No it wont stop all tragedy but defintely will make a big impact. Another impact would be to institute an avenue for families to enroll family members who are unstable to an FBI database for watch purposes and an avenue to treat them. This is money the federal government should spend on The United States of America for protection purposes vs money helping other countries. I believe there are families that dont know what to do or have the money or resources to control their insane family members. If they had help in this regard they would probably enroll them. Then they could be treated by mental health professionals.

• If you have a mental illness that would lead to you causing harm to others in my opinion you should not own a firearm.

I'm NOT saying people shouldn't own a firearm. Everyone should be able to own and carry what they wish, but if you have a mental illness that would possibly influence you to bring harm to others you should not be aloud to own a fire arm.There will always be a way to bring harm to others but this would be a precaution we could take to prevent others from getting hut.

• Why wouldn't they?

Any law abiding citizen would easily be able to pass a mental health evaluation with flying colors. This will make it far more difficult for people with anger issues or people with violent background to purchase firearms, in turn reducing the enormous number of mass shootings that occur in the United States.

• Yes, I believe that they should.

The ownership of a weapon like that, can be a hazard to the owner and to others around them due to the potentiality of said person hurting themselves or others. It is a big problem when people with mental illnesses that may not be noticeable, are allowed to own and use a gun without having gone through a mental health exam.

• Fox administrating the hen house

Mental health professionals have stated that these tests (MMPI, and others) can and likely will be weaponized. The examinations will most likely be administered by people philosophically opposed to an armed citizenry. The presumption will be that one must be mentally unfit and a danger to society for merely wishing to own a firearm. Police candidates are screened because of the power their position carries--not just carrying a firearm.

You head down a dangerous road once you enact 'pre-crime' law. Criminal behavior cannot be accurately predicted, and laws to protect people from themselves and others before the fact will lead to a standard of life no one will like. If we must treat everyone the same, everyone will be presumed to be guilty of any crime before it actually happens, and our lives will be so regulated that all people, adults and children will be considered wards of the state with no right to any form of independent discretionary power.

• It's just common sense

The fact of the matter is a mentally ill person who is willing to harm another person is going to obtain a weapon illegally if they cannot get one legally. All a mental health test is going to do is add another pointless hurdle for the law abiding citizen to obtain a firearm. So regardless of wither or not I could pass the test why should I have to conform to a restriction that won't do anything but be a problem for firearms distributors? In my mind that's like saying you need to pass a physical fitness test to obtain a Drivers licences because people need to be strong enough and fast enough in case of a part of the car that rarely brakes being busted, or you must pass a math exam before you buy grocery's because than people won't buy too much food and get fat. Too me none of these gun rules make sense because they are not going to stop the mentally ill or a criminal from attaining a gun or another weapon that will work just as well if not better. Think about it something like a car, a two ton chunk of metal moving at 40 mph has way more energy than a bullet.

• It's just common sense

• It is just common sense.

• It wouldn't make anything better.

Any test can be easily passed by anyone. Anyone could act very well and pass the evaluation. These tests wouldn't help in any way. If someone thought they wouldn't pass the tests, they would just buy them illegally. These tests wouldn't reduce the gun violence in the United States or worldwide. No matter what the government does or enforces, there will always be violence or corruption.

• No, It's a fact that would do very little to prevent gun violence.

It's also a fact that it would just make it harder for folks with no issues to purchase a gun, (which should be a very cherished and highly appreciated right we have in this country).I feel a whole lot of people in this country just don't remember the sacrifices that were made by our ancestors for those freedoms.Too many people don't appreciate that freedom.If you don't like our freedoms, Why not move to any other country.This is the only country left in the entire world that gives people the gun rights and other rights we have.

• I can see for something like a concealed weapon permit or a class 3 dangerous weapon but not for just purchasing a firearm

I know cops who have failed and had to re take the test, some multiple times. Then they have to see a see a psychiatrist. It may help for the situations they encounter but for most hunters or target shooters most of the test is not even applicable. For example if you have any tendencies that resemble OCD you could be a very safe hunter, such as "when walking down the sidewalk do you tend to avoid stepping on cracks". Plus the cost of the test and exam would deny equal access for those who are not well off and or do not have a lot of spare time.
    Also a law like this would make the black market for firearms even stronger as it would drive up demand and turn current law abiding gun owners into criminals.

• No, a mental health test would not help.

Mental health test results are just too vague to provide any meaningful evaluation of a person's ability to own a gun and use it wisely. Guns are so prevalent in our society that a mentally ill person can gain access to one easily. It's also the case that a great many murders are committed by people who would easily pass a mental health evaluation. No, we need a better way to address the mentally ill rather than just keeping them from buying a gun. On the other hand, it sure would benefit the psychiatric industry if we did require this!