Should gun owners be required to buy liability insurance?

• Look at the actuarial tables.

Actuarial scientists, economists, and public-health researchers produce estimates of the cost of gun violence. The actuarial tables speak for themselves; they have no agenda, no bias. Look at the work of Jean Lemaire, for instance. Gun culture (law abiding or not) is a financial drain, not to mention a national embarrassment. Japan: No guns equals no crime. Switzerland: Many guns, but no crime. The problem isn't guns or people; the problem is Americans with guns. Americans can't handle the responsibility. And the fact that Americans can't handle the responsibility costs everyone else. Taxpayers. Therefore, recoup the losses with liability insurance, higher health insurance premiums, more expensive life insurance, etc.

• Just like car insurance.

Just like buying a car. It is a potentially dangerous device that could cause a lot of damage if mishandled or if an accident occurs. This is why car insurance is mandatory by law. I don't see how this is any different for firearms.

Insurance isn't meant to reduce accidents. It's to make sure that the people who have been negatively affected are covered.

• Indeed

While I don't think it's going to be a deterrent to a majority of the problems focused around firearm usage, this should be in place and the fact that it isn't is pretty shocking. It seems like a no brainer that something with the potential to cause so much harm has no type of liability responsibility tied to it.

• Yes, we should!

I agree with the previous statement. We should have liability insurance on guns because something could go wrong with carrying a gun. I am all for gun ownership, but the people who chose to carry a gun need to protect themselves and others from a potential accident! People will also be more careful when operating and shooting a gun with insurance!

• Yes

Yes I do think gun owners should have to buy liability insurance. We have to buy insurance for many things, such as cars, homes, healthcare now, and healthcare workers need it. So yes, something that could potentially cause harm to someone, whether on purpose or on accident, should be required to be covered under a liability insurance.

• No! No! No!

Let's be honest here. What's the real reason this is coming up now. Paying to exercise my constitutional rights. Give me a break folks. What's next? Do I need to get insurance now to protect my first amendment rights too just in case I offend. I will not support anyone who pushes this agenda.

• Law Suits/Liability

Once the lawyers smell insurance money to be had, it will encourage more civil litigation than is aready rampant in our court sytem.
    It will be a boon to the insurance companies collecting fees from countless law abiding citizens who have virtually no chance of actually being liable.
    Also, what kind of liability will it cover? Protection from a frivolous and inflated lawsuit of which there be many?
    It might even discourage people from being as careful as they would otherwise be in much the same way as car and homeowner insurance does.
    But, the more people who carry liability insurance, the lower the rates may end up being given the expected law abiding behavior of the already law abiding legal gun owners.

• Gang members line up to pay their gun insurance!

Only the legal responsible gun owners would be buying the insurance so you would only be punishing the good guys. Its safe to say the insurance company isn't going to insure a gang member with a stolen gun and no license. Its also safe to assume the criminals aren't going to spend the money they worked to hard to steal on insurance. The only ones who will win are the insurance companies collecting all the good guys money.

• When?

When are the gun grabbers ever going to understand that punishing, penalizing or taxing responsible legal gun owners is never going to prevent criminals from doing what they are want to do? Neither can you tax, or financially discourage gun owners into being 'more responsible' with their guns. Car insurance in every State. Has it eliminated the chance for accidents?