Should gun rights be available outside the us? (Please read)

Asked by: sque132
  • The right to self defense is a human right.

What works for us won't work for every one else. But still in America guns save 400,000 lives per year (CDC) and prevent 900,000 other crimes (CDC) including 200,000 rapes. Guns only kill 30,000 people a year here. That's still 30,000 too many but guns are used to protect people more often than to kill.

• Sure I don't care

Other countries should be able to defend themselves against governments that have become a tyranny. Guns were invented for defense and offense, other countries should have that right. But then have the liberal Government take away all their rights to purchase and own guns.(That's an America joke, get it its topical)

• Crime is everywhere, self defense could be the difference between a survival and dead bodies.

Guns are tools, the gun that could be used to kill innocent people could be the same gun to defend a family from a home invasion. Police, while fast, sometimes aren't fast enough and the immediate option to defend yourself could save lives. Sure there are limits, no one can just walk into a store and buy a gun, you need background checks. Just look at Switzerland, their last mass shooting was in 2001 and they have a low crime rate compared to the U.S. and Europe.

• Limited gun rights only

If people want them for self defense and they know how to handle them, store them, and keep them safe, and they have a clean criminal record and they pass a psychological exam then they should be allowed. But not just any gun. An AK-47 is NOT needed for self-defense. A simple handgun, OK. Nothing more than that.

• What are your thoughts on having gun laws somewhere like the UK, where not everyone has a gun?

OK i have heard a lot about gun rights in the US, where people saying gun rights should be protected. The general idea I've gotten is that so many people have guns, chances are americans believe they need one to protect against the bad guys with guns.

But if we look at a different country or location, the UK for example, not everyone has a gun. Infact access to them is majorly restricted. Therefore one is not needed to protect yourself, if you're going to be burgled they probably won't have a gun.

The way i see it if you implement gun laws, you're going to end up with a situation like the US where everyone suddenly has them, and gun crime/shootings/deaths will of course increase. And guns will be viewed as something of protection, rather than a weapon to kill, which frankly is what they were built for in the first place.

• I don't even think the US should have gun rights.

Honestly, I'm rather unconcerned when it regards violence, and so my opinion isn't affected by that. However, the idea that a gun is required so that one can be assured of their own safety is utterly ridiculous. Gun rights in any country that doesn't already have them would absolutely increase the death toll, and no doubt crime rates would increase. With a gun, people are given so much opportunity to commit previously unthinkable acts. In a state without gun rights, almost nobody considers them necessary because we don't need to protect ourselves against people with guns - there aren't any. Agreed there are murders and muggings, they are unavoidable; but who in their right mind can claim that the introduction of gun rights in the US has at all reduced the number of murders? It doesn't. And I certainly wouldn't feel safer if people were able to walk around with guns. Even without intent, misfire is a risk. Alongside this, I believe the numbers are around 7000 now, regarding the number of accidental deaths per year among children alone in the US, due to guns. Gun rights just aren't worth it.

• In France we're happy without it

It's strange to me to see american people assure that Guns save lifes. I just don't understand how it's possible, does the american life looks like Gotham City? In France, we never noticed such an insecurity, although we also have burglars and thiefs. I think the right to owe an arm can only save some wallets but when I see the butcheries that occur every now and again in the USA, I don't think it's worth it. Especially in my country, who has promblem of terrorism, it would be disastrous if any young crazy people could buy one. (don't tell me this is one more reason to protect ourselves, there was policeman with a gun in Charlie Hebdo)

sque132 says2015-04-15T20:30:23.493
What are your thoughts on having gun laws somewhere like the UK, where not everyone has a gun? OK i have heard a lot about gun rights in the US, where people saying gun rights should be protected. The general idea I've gotten is that so many people have guns, chances are americans believe they need one to protect against the bad guys with guns.