• A criminal he is.

Attomic weapons since the first two have been responsible for not only a continuing tone of war on this planet but also damage to beautiful world. The government does not release to us how attomic weapons have damaged our planet. Indeed he is a war criminal not just for using but also not dismantling this deadly weapon. The united states should not only apologize but also dismantle each and ever nuke ever made. They should not only apologize Japan but also to the whole world for damage caused while they and Russia played God with Nuclear weapons.

• If he isn't a war criminal then nobody ever was.

This man authorised the go ahead to cause the worst ever instant death toll, he isn't the ONLY guilty party, so are the Japanese leaders too but for arguably the worst ever crime committed on man-kind this man is easily a war criminal. Otherwise there is no such thing as a war criminal. If "officially" Bin Laden is guilty of terrorism and war crimes against innocent civilians then this man who killed 75 TIMES the amount of 9/11 surely should be on the same level as Hitler, Genghis Khan, Vlad the impaler and other terrible humans also guilty of crimes against humanity.

• I do agree he is a criminal

Japan was obviously very weak by the end of the war, all they needed to surrender is to not being blamed as war criminals themselves and particularly their emperor Hirohito. That was obviously an weapon experiment with the price of hundreds of thousends of innocent lives being taken. Im sick even thinking of it!

• I think no human is evil, yet we can be confused into doing violence. Harry seems one of the most confused in history.

As a 3-year-old, I'm sure Harry S Truman would've said it's not OK for any reason to kill hundreds of thousands of people. Somewhere along the line he became confused. I think he still had a heart of gold deep down, like every human, but it got covered up... A lot. I think he should've spent time in jail, not killed or tortured, but helped to see how what he did doesn't fit with the golden rule. However, I respect views of those who disagree and think he did the right thing. Their hearts are in the right place too, because their reasoning is he was saving lives, which shows our common ground- wanting people not to be hurt or killed. Peace and love to all.

• Truman should have been tried for war crimes.

This is because war is between armies no civilians. Truman's decision to drop was responsible for the death of tens of thousands of Japanese civilians. War has rules and one of those rules is to leave civilians out of the war and if you do you will be tried for war crimes, and what did Truman do? Well he killed civilians of course so this is why I think Truman should have been tried for war crimes

• He didnt do what was necessary

E nearly impossible. But if we could go back in time and do this, I would still say no. Truman did what he needed to do by ordering the first atomic bomb deployments in Japan. The war had gone on for far too long already, the financial and human costs were beyond sickening. Let's not forget that Japan was hardly an innocent, they did attack us first and their atrocities during the war made our transgressions look like jaywalking by comparison. Look up the Bataan Death March

• It would've cost many more American lives.

First of all,he's dead. Trying him would be a waste of tax payer money. Second of all,recently I visited a WWII veteran named Morton Waitzman who survived D-Day, St. Lo, and the Battle of the Bulge,where he sustained injuries. He told me that Truman dropping the A-Bombs likely saved his life. He was shipping out to the participate in the mainland invasion of Japan. People that are living now cannot fully appreciate the way things were then. Plus the economy thrived with him as president,so who cares?

• It was tragic but necessary

The alternative to the atomic bomb was an all out invasion of Japan. Many experts put the human cost estimate at 10 million Japanese soldiers and civilians and 1 million American soldiers. Can we really say that the death of 135,000 people is worse then the deaths of 11,000,000 people. Honestly?

• Harry Truman should not be tried for war crimes.

First, Truman can't be tried for anything because he's dead. More importantly, he is not guilty of war crimes. Dropping the atomic bomb on Japan was an act of war, but not a crime. Every combatant in the war killed civilians. Collateral damage is a reality of warfare. It is unfortunate, but unavoidable.

• He did what was neccessary.

Well, let's start with the obvious first: Truman has been dead for more than 41 years so trying him for anything is going to be nearly impossible. But if we could go back in time and do this, I would still say no. Truman did what he needed to do by ordering the first atomic bomb deployments in Japan. The war had gone on for far too long already, the financial and human costs were beyond sickening. Let's not forget that Japan was hardly an innocent, they did attack us first and their atrocities during the war made our transgressions look like jaywalking by comparison. Look up the Bataan Death March sometime.