Should health insurance companies foot the bill for genetic tests for diseases and other medical problems?

• Yes, insurance companies should cover genetic testing.

Insurance companies should definitely cover the cost of genetic testing, as well as other medical tests. My insurance company refused to cover cancer gene testing, which is extremely expensive. People with genetic conditions should not be discriminated against. And insurance companies can save money if people with a higher chance of getting a disease know about it and take precautions against getting it; so it makes sense for them financially, too.

• Genetic testings helps us and insurance company should definitely support that and pay for the coast

Paying my health care insurance every month, should cover all the basis on unforeseen illnesses that may have even resulted from an unknown disease I carry, that I may be unaware of. It's no different than someone getting cancer, because their family genes carry it.
    It should never be a struggle to want to live. If I'm paying for health care insurance solely on the basis that I may catch the flu or get into a horrific accident. That's not fair. They're not willing to give me back all my hard earned money they take. It's a backward system that needs changing.

• It's unforeseen sickness.

Paying my health care insurance every month, should cover all the basis on unforeseen illnesses that may have even resulted from an unknown disease I carry, that I may be unaware of. It's no different than someone getting cancer, because their family genes carry it. It should never be a struggle to want to live. If I'm paying for health care insurance solely on the basis that I may catch the flu or get into a horrific accident. That's not fair. They're not willing to give me back all my hard earned money they take. It's a backward system that needs changing.

• Insurance companies should pay for genetic tests, since early detection can cut down on later costs.

I think that insurance companies should pay for genetic testing for diseases and treatable medical problems. Often, by identifying problems or even potential ones, early treatment can be given to eradicate or decrease genetic diseases. This means significantly lower costs for the insurance company and the patient, in the long run, making it a financially good deal for all.

Posted by: ColossalJeramy56
  • Health insurance companies should pay for genetic testing, because prevention saves everyone trouble, time and money.

When tests are done in advance to detect diseases and future problems, this is great for both the patients and the insurance companies. For the patients, it means better health and the ability for their doctor to prevent problems. This saves the health insurance company money in the long run, because preventative treatments are cheaper than reactive treatments to developed problems.

Posted by: FlakyHerb64
  • I believe health insurance companies should pick up the cost of genetic tests, which prove to be effective in identifying medical conditions currently not verifiable by any other cheaper means.

I feel it would be in the long term best interest of a health insurer to cover genetic testing. In recent years, society has put a strong emphasis in both preventative medical techniques, and early diagnosis of severe health conditions. Any additional costs to the insurer would be offset by the savings of catching many of these medical conditions in early stages, where treatment is cheapest.

Posted by: SpyCl4
  • I think health insurance companies should foot the bill for genetic tests, because genetic conditions are not something that are caused by a person, but something they are born with.

I don't think it should even be a question as to whether health insurance companies should foot the bill. Genetic conditions are not something that a person causes by an unhealthy lifestyle. They are something that a person is born with. Insurance should not refuse to foot the bill, because it is a genetic condition.

Posted by: PiquantJerrell
  • Health insurance should pay, because that is what you pay for.

When you are paying for health insurance you expect them to pay for the bills when something goes wrong. I believe it is unfair for the health insurance companies to act like they are covering you, until something is wrong with you, then they say well we cannot cover you. This is just a different form of stealing. They are taking your money giving you a false sense of security.

Posted by: SpoiledOde
  • Health care insurance companies should pay for genetic disease tests because, on the whole, they will reduce health care costs.

Genetic tests for diseases and other medical problems enable doctors to detect risk for a disease before symptoms even present themselves. This would better enable them to take preventative measures to stop the patient from ever developing the disease. Because treatment of diseases is expensive, both to insurers and the insured, and prophylaxis is typically much cheaper, use of genetic tests would therefore reduce the financial burden to both insurer and insured.

Posted by: A Paul
  • Yes, because genetic testing holds great promise for the identification of diseases and disease predispositions.

The sooner a medical condition is diagnosed, the sooner treatment can be undertaken. A prompt course of treatment often reduces the duration, or at least the severity, of illness. Genetic testing, while in its infancy, holds promise for identifying many diseases and disease predispositions early, allowing medical interventions and lifestyle changes that will actually improve a patient's overall health. This ultimately makes the person a better investment for an insurance company. If insurance companies have any legitimate purpose, it is best thought of as not merely the provision of money to individuals under certain conditions, in exchange for the receipt of premiums during the term of a contract, but more fundamentally, promoting the health of members, and paying for procedures that facilitate recuperation and health maintenance. The newness and fallibility of genetic testing does not make it unscientific or unimportant. It's part of the purpose of insurance, properly conceived.

Posted by: M4I4cFeIine
  • I do not think insurance companies should pay for genetic testing, as it will only increase rates.

If insurance companies were required to pay for testing of genetic diseases, it would increase the amount of money spent by the companies, and they would pass that on to the customers in the form of higher premiums. It would also increase the likelihood of even higher premiums for those with genetic predispositions to certain diseases.

Posted by: FairMckinley99
  • Health insurance companies should not foot the bill for genetic tests, because that would make them privy to the outcome of those tests.

Genetic testing has the potential to identify diseases for which there are no preventatives or cures. Treatment for these diseases can be expensive. If insurance companies know that someone is genetically prone to develop such diseases, then the companies could deny coverage.

Posted by: UtterDusty75
  • No, health costs are already so expensive, don't drive them up any higher!

Health care costs are astronomical compared to what they were a generation ago. There has to be a limit on what procedures are covered or our health care provider, whether it's the government or private sector will go bankrupt. There will be so much technology related to health care coming out that insurance companies have to choose what is really necessary to sustain and heal and what should be covered by individuals.

Posted by: NettN355