Should health insurance programs require that their clients take specific health promotion or disease prevention steps?

• Yes, I shouldn't be paying for their bad habits.

If you choose to smoke, eat junk food all the time, and never exercise, I shouldn't have to pay more because of it. These people cost the insurance companies more money, which increases every bodies cost. It is your responsibility to stay healthy , and you shouldn't be coddled because you can't make good decisions.

• Yes, such steps would reduce medical costs.

I feel that health insurance programs should require all clients to make an effort to make healthy lifestyle choices and steps to prevent disease. Clients that engage in activities that are well documented to be a health risk such as cigarette smoking, for example, should not be covered since the likeliness of developing smoking-related health problems is high and the costs of treating such problems is expensive.

• Make them healthy.

Yes, health insurance programs should require that their clients take specific health promotion steps, because we cannot continue to pay for skyrocketing costs without requiring people to do some things in order to prevent the problems from happening. These are problems that can be controlled. It is not just on the insurance company to pay.

• No, health insurance programs should not mandate what their clients do.

No, health insurance programs should not make their clients do anything in particular. Instead, they should focus on rewards if they have healthy clients who are doing the right thing. This is becasue, at the end of the day, those are the people (the healthy) who are saving them money.

• Can't Be Enforced

I do not believe health insurance programs should require that their clients take specific health promotion or disease prevention steps. Courses of action should be left up to the patient and the doctor, not a third party. I do not believe there is any way to enforce such programs without denying coverage and that shouldn't be allowed.