• Because it has mercury in it.

I want high fructose corn syrup banned because it has dangerous amounts of mercury and its fattening. I have autism and It effects me really badly can increases chances of meltdowns. Think of the people, Think of autism, Think of the health problems, and think about how banning HFCS can change the US and how much healthier everyone would become! Please ban this deadly ingredient! Thank you!

• We need legislation that requires restaurants and other commercial food preparers to publicly disclose when high fructose corn syrup is used in their preparations.

I don’t want to eat anything that contains high fructose corn syrup!
    When purchasing packaged goods from a store, the high fructose corn syrup ingredient is listed, and I can choose not to buy those products. I should have the same right to know whether or not the food I eat in a restaurant contains high fructose corn syrup, and I can decline to purchase food at those establishments.

• Killing our kids

Most if not all major countries have banned HFCS !! The only reason its not banned here is the FDA is weak. Its all about money and people in charge do not care one little bit. Its pretty evident to me that it is a deadly additive especially if Countries like China Canada and the UK have banned it. This country is getting fatter, and our kids will be lucky to live past 50 years.

• The US government is corrupt and filled with malicious people who are less concerned about America's health.

It's ridiculous that we even have to discuss this; it shouldn't even be legal. Most 1st world countries (apart from the US) have already banned it, so why haven't we? It is a pitiful and shameful attempt of the US government to keep American farming alive, all because we as a nation apparently cannot produce any mass crop besides corn. If anyone who has any power to try to change this issue is reading this- if you have knowingly done nothing to stop the spread of this toxic HFCS; you should be ashamed.

• We need to ban HFCS IMMEDIATELY !!

I have been having stomach problems since 2013.. Went to so many doctors , been prescribed all these different medications to try and help and still nothing . I had multiple ultra sounds and MRIs done to check out my liver and gallbladder etc . Went through so many blood tests and blood draws . Finally they sent me to the Gastroenterology after four years of not finding out what was wrong . Literally just after one visit and a couple blood draws and breath tests they were able to diagnose me .. I was diagnosed with fructose malabsorption , a couple months afterwards I developed an intolerance to Gluten and Lactose as well .. And let me tell you it SUCKS !! It is impossible to find anything to eat now an days with all these added preservatives and crap in everything . After doing a bunch of research and learning that fructose is banned in other countries it seriously disgusts me that the US still hasn’t .. But I’m not surprised really .. The FDA has been lying to all of us for so many years about what’s healthy and what’s not . I legit want to move out of this country for these reasons .. It just sickens me . HFCS NEEDS TO GO !!

• Innocent people are eating it

We are ingesting it, giving it to our kids and we are getting fatter and we don’t know why It’s in just about every processed food my daughter is obese as well as my grandchildren and she doesn’t believe me when I try to warn her not to buy it

• Hazard to your health

It is known how bad this stuff is. State officials want drivers to wear seatbelts, and motor cycle riders to wear helmets to reduce insurance claims. HFCS should be band to reduce health care cost as well. It is the worst thing you can put in your body. Get rid of it.

• Are you serious

Are you serious this crap kills you and its not like a drug thats gonna go on the black market once it is gone it is gone and obesity in america will dramatically fall it is literally that simple. The only reason its still here is because of coke and pepsi

• HFCS is evil

Seriously it's awful, and they literally put it everything. It's "light" or "low calorie" foods. It causes addiction and makes us eat more. The fact that's it has been banned in other countries but not the U.S. is seriously concerning. We have the highest obesity weight and yet we wonder why. It is long overdue that we put our food down and stop allowing food corporations to add this toxic and unrecognizable chemical into our foods.

• Nah, lets not

Anybody that sincerely wants to avoid large amounts of this can do so pretty easily, people saying it's unavoidable are a little too dependent on premade products. I'll concede cutting it out entirely would be awfully difficult right now, but it's not in "everything." If people clearly trend towards making an effort to stay away from it more often, the market will adjust to that and do their part in limiting it as well, cheap to produce doesn't matter if nobody's buying it.

• But Tax the Hell Out of it

If someone wants to eat this crap let them. But it's so ubiquitous now you're practically forced to. Tax the hell out of it so that healthier sugars are for the most part more profitable for companies. People who really want to keep eating high fructose corn syrup should be free to do so even as everyone else is rolling their eyes at them and thinking "this guy's nuts".

• Personal responsibility vs freedom

HFCS is bad for you. Just like many other legal and harmful substances, it is your right to take this substance in if you want. There are better ways than prohibition. Namely, there is education and label requirements. HFCS in small quantities (like in a desert) are find. HFCS in soft drinks, food (such as pizza) etc should be labeled as "not a nutritious source of calories or carbohydrates" or something like that. You don't expect to get good nutrition from desert, but you do from your meals. Plus the stuff is almost as addictive as crack cocaine. Try cutting it out of your diet completely, and you'll see what I mean.

• Similarities and Differences

Actually, Sucrose (Granulated Sugar and HFCS are very similar . Our bodies treat them both the same. HFCS is actually more stable. The really big difference is that HFCS 5% more fructose and 5% less glucose than sucrose. This isn't the only thing that may cause obesity or other problems.

• Education NOT Government Control

Advocates for various causes are way too eager to take away people's freedoms, and there are almost always unintended bad consequences when more regulations are passed. The war on HFCS will lead to greater use of dangerous artificial sweeteners. I'm already seeing Splenda and stevia extract (not the natural leaf but the chemical derivative) showing up in NON-DIET drinks. Food companies DO listen to consumers, so they ARE removing HFCS from many products and returning to sugar. But they are supplementing sugar with artificial sweeteners because sugar became too expensive when past federal regulations all but destroyed the sugar industry in the U.S. That's why the use of HFCS exploded in the first place. More government control is not the answer . . . There are always unintended consequences and then even more control is needed to try to fix the mess the first regulations created.

Education and nutritional literacy is the solution, albeit not a perfect one, as we can see how that's worked with alcohol and cigarettes. But the bottom line is: Do you want to live in a free world or to live in a cage with all your decisions made for you? Neither one will be perfect, but I'd rather create my own utopia that have other people impose theirs on me. Now better labeling I can support, because that's empowering to the consumer rather than taking away anyone's freedom.

• Human compassion over C.E.O. Salaries

These big agriculture giants have been raking in billions of dollars selling this basically poisonous crap. They get filthy rich, and the multitudes get sick. Sickness is suffering. Sickness most often leads to death. Sickness greatly reduces the quality of ones life. You can get sick. You can be the next casualty of this liver toxic substance. I am already sick from a bad substance that the F.D.A. Refused to ban even though they knew for years that it was killing, and maiming people.It is not nice to be sick. Living in pain, and fear,hoping that you don't die, but knowing when you do you will not have to suffer anymore. This stuff is poison. Who do you want to save: your fellow human beings, and maybe you or someone close, or some big filthy rich corporation. Jobs will be lost, but where is the ethics, and morality in collecting a paycheck backed up by something that hurts so many?

Baitkilled,maothers. Death sometimes seem to be alternative

• ECONOMIC destruction imminent

Your looking at a massive economic uproar from hundreds upon thousands of companies. Over 500,000 people world wide will lose their jobs. Besides this is a persons right to drink a coke, there are plenty of other options besides options with High Fructose Corn Syrup. And its not just Cokes or soda, you're looking at foods, teas, and even water bottle material