• HFCS is evil

Seriously it's awful, and they literally put it everything. It's "light" or "low calorie" foods. It causes addiction and makes us eat more. The fact that's it has been banned in other countries but not the U.S. is seriously concerning. We have the highest obesity weight and yet we wonder why. It is long overdue that we put our food down and stop allowing food corporations to add this toxic and unrecognizable chemical into our foods.

• Where's the ethic in the food industry?!!!

I have to say it's speaks so poorly of the ethics that exist in this country. When would you hear about people putting people lives over profits. It is pathetic and lame. There should be a major control and higher standards over all the food sector by FDA so everyone gets quality food and not allowed crap.

• HFCS is dangerous

The fructose content of HFCS makes it more harmful to our health- just look at the science of it! Any excess fructose that you consume gets immediately returned to the liver and processed into fat. Thus, it causes liver damage, fatty liver, and fat gain in ways that glucose just doesn't.

Anyone saying that sucrose and HFCS are similar is lying or ignorant. Sucrose is half glucose, HFCS is mostly fructose. It's dangerous and unnatural, and food companies have PROVEN themselves to be untrustworthy with it!

• Yes!!! Its costing all of us health wise.

HFCS is in everything you buy. Even if I try to stay away from it and read labels they sneak it another spot. It should just be banned all together as we cannot watch our kids all day long. Once addicted its too late. Good Health is more important in our children now than ever before. They are not as active so they cannot burn it out of their systems.

• Poison and Disasterous

It's poison and terrible for our intestines because it could feed harmful bacteria and cause a sleuth of major digestive issues. I

It's just not real food or is natural. Companies should only make real and natural food. We need the government to force companies to sell only natural food.

• Metabolic Syndrome Rises

Chronic exposure to fructose causes Metabolic Syndrome. It causes obesity, type 2 diabetes, lipid problems, high blood pressure, and cardio-vascular dis-ease. The brain doesn't recognize it and therefor the person continues to eat. It is metabolized in the liver where it causes fat to be stored, fatty livers are diseased!
    Children become addicted at an early age, it sets the stage for a horror to play out. BAN IT!

• HFCS is making common folks stupid and unhealthy

US is not healthy nation. Most people living with pills, many of them. I was shocked that my neighbor take like 20 pills everyday.Where I am from, a small village in Indonesia, I dont know any one takes pill in daily basis. We must go back to eaiting what we cook, from crushing/blending seasoing, chopping vegies, grilling our own meat. Get rid off of all those processed food.

• It has caused many to get diabetes. I think it helped me to get it!

It would not bother me so much if you had a choice. Most people don't have a clue how bad it is until they have a problem. They just keep getting fatter not understanding why. They feed it to their kids because they just don't know how bad it is. This stuff is poison.

• HFCS is like poison!

I have struggled with digestive issues for several years now. After watching a documentary produced by a nutritionist that exposed HFCS as a major contributor to digestion issues I have cut it from my diet (as best I can....It is in basically everything! Even wheat bread?!?!). Our bodies are unable to process HFCS - it is essentially an unrecognizable substance to our bodies. It's time to force food corporations to be accountable and do what is best for the population. Yes, it might cost a little more. But social responsibility needs to prevail.

• Not the same as sugar

What makes this so frustrating is that HFCS is found is almost everything, and it now has about a dozen secret names or more. It is very difficult in today's day and age not to eat any processed food. I am getting sick of everyone saying high fructose corn syrup is the same as sugar. It's not. I participated in a clinical study comparing the effects of sugar vs HFCS vs stevia vs Splenda etc and HFCS made people gain more fat than regular sugar, especially around their organs, and it is more likely to cause addiction, depression, and diabetes than regular sugar.

• Nah, lets not

Anybody that sincerely wants to avoid large amounts of this can do so pretty easily, people saying it's unavoidable are a little too dependent on premade products. I'll concede cutting it out entirely would be awfully difficult right now, but it's not in "everything." If people clearly trend towards making an effort to stay away from it more often, the market will adjust to that and do their part in limiting it as well, cheap to produce doesn't matter if nobody's buying it.

• But Tax the Hell Out of it

If someone wants to eat this crap let them. But it's so ubiquitous now you're practically forced to. Tax the hell out of it so that healthier sugars are for the most part more profitable for companies. People who really want to keep eating high fructose corn syrup should be free to do so even as everyone else is rolling their eyes at them and thinking "this guy's nuts".

• Personal responsibility vs freedom

HFCS is bad for you. Just like many other legal and harmful substances, it is your right to take this substance in if you want. There are better ways than prohibition. Namely, there is education and label requirements. HFCS in small quantities (like in a desert) are find. HFCS in soft drinks, food (such as pizza) etc should be labeled as "not a nutritious source of calories or carbohydrates" or something like that. You don't expect to get good nutrition from desert, but you do from your meals. Plus the stuff is almost as addictive as crack cocaine. Try cutting it out of your diet completely, and you'll see what I mean.

• Similarities and Differences

Actually, Sucrose (Granulated Sugar and HFCS are very similar . Our bodies treat them both the same. HFCS is actually more stable. The really big difference is that HFCS 5% more fructose and 5% less glucose than sucrose. This isn't the only thing that may cause obesity or other problems.

• Education NOT Government Control

Advocates for various causes are way too eager to take away people's freedoms, and there are almost always unintended bad consequences when more regulations are passed. The war on HFCS will lead to greater use of dangerous artificial sweeteners. I'm already seeing Splenda and stevia extract (not the natural leaf but the chemical derivative) showing up in NON-DIET drinks. Food companies DO listen to consumers, so they ARE removing HFCS from many products and returning to sugar. But they are supplementing sugar with artificial sweeteners because sugar became too expensive when past federal regulations all but destroyed the sugar industry in the U.S. That's why the use of HFCS exploded in the first place. More government control is not the answer . . . There are always unintended consequences and then even more control is needed to try to fix the mess the first regulations created.

Education and nutritional literacy is the solution, albeit not a perfect one, as we can see how that's worked with alcohol and cigarettes. But the bottom line is: Do you want to live in a free world or to live in a cage with all your decisions made for you? Neither one will be perfect, but I'd rather create my own utopia that have other people impose theirs on me. Now better labeling I can support, because that's empowering to the consumer rather than taking away anyone's freedom.

• Human compassion over C.E.O. Salaries

These big agriculture giants have been raking in billions of dollars selling this basically poisonous crap. They get filthy rich, and the multitudes get sick. Sickness is suffering. Sickness most often leads to death. Sickness greatly reduces the quality of ones life. You can get sick. You can be the next casualty of this liver toxic substance. I am already sick from a bad substance that the F.D.A. Refused to ban even though they knew for years that it was killing, and maiming people.It is not nice to be sick. Living in pain, and fear,hoping that you don't die, but knowing when you do you will not have to suffer anymore. This stuff is poison. Who do you want to save: your fellow human beings, and maybe you or someone close, or some big filthy rich corporation. Jobs will be lost, but where is the ethics, and morality in collecting a paycheck backed up by something that hurts so many?

Baitkilled,maothers. Death sometimes seem to be alternative

• ECONOMIC destruction imminent

Your looking at a massive economic uproar from hundreds upon thousands of companies. Over 500,000 people world wide will lose their jobs. Besides this is a persons right to drink a coke, there are plenty of other options besides options with High Fructose Corn Syrup. And its not just Cokes or soda, you're looking at foods, teas, and even water bottle material