Should high school students learn mathematics?

Asked by: pixiegurl
  • So many jobs require math

Many jobs require math. Engineers, accountants, analysts, scientists, astronauts, doctors, physicists, and not to mention mathematicians, to name a few. True, not everyone will have a science-related career, but some will, and some who don't want science and math may change their minds. Also, Algebra 1 and Geometry are very useful for real-life problems, even if it isn't your career.

• Yes it should

The United States is drastically falling behind in math and science compared to educational standards in other countries. If anything, we should increase the amount of math taught. It is true that many students will grow up to have jobs that do not involve mathematics. But honestly, how many high school students can predict what career they will hold in the future? Students will have time to specialize their education and career paths in college. I believe we should increase our school standards in every department to compete with the rest of the world.

• What is the point

I think that you do not need to know maths because when in life will you use Algebra , geometry or stigma and its pointless spending all your time studying and you wont have enough time to explore the world and find out new things . If you don't know what is out there you wont experience It

• Ye bo gogo

Deez nuts should be required
    c
    d
    d
    d
    d
    d
    d
    dd

d
    d

d
    d
    d

d
    d
    d

d
    d
    d
    d

d
    d
    d

d
    d
    d

d
    d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d

• Ye bo gogo

Deez nuts should be required
    c
    d
    d
    d
    d
    d
    d
    dd

d
    d

d
    d
    d

d
    d
    d

d
    d
    d
    d

d
    d
    d

d
    d
    d

d
    d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d

• It should be taught but not at the expense of other subjects.

I consider maths, reading and writing the three most important subjects but I wouldn't recommend teaching advanced maths such as algebra until students have an advanced understanding of english.
    Skills that prioritize ones ability to articulate ones needs should be a higher priority than the advanced maths subjects.

Having said that I am of course fully supportive of kids learning maths at high school.

• Mathematics is essential

A study of mathematics is essential for numerous reasons. First, basic mathematics is required in daily life for everyone, regardless of profession. There is no such thing as a career where an individual won't use at least basic algebra on a regular basis. Secondly, more advanced mathematics are essential in a wide variety of careers. Scientists, engineers, and financial analysts are just a few of the people who use advanced mathematics all the time. Failure to teach mathematics significantly limits a student's future job prospects.

Finally, and I think most importantly, even if you don't use the math that you're taught, having a background in mathematics teaches you about logical reasoning and makes you a better critical thinker. Mathematics education isn't just about learning how to do operations--it's also about learning how to think.

• It's is an invaluable life skill

High school is about giving people the tools they need to survive in life and one of these tools is mathematics. It does not matter what field people go into maths is needed, everyone has to learn to deal with money and this is an important part of their maths development.

• Just a simple math

Math is really helpful sometimes, but when it comes to be like geometry or algebra or stigma and something like that, does it really helpful for all schools? I mean, yes, math is useful for our future, but does stigma and algebra things will be used in the future for all students?

• What is the point

• Math requirements boosted for middleschool and below

The fact is not many occupations require algebra. It is insane what I had to learn in high school because of what state and federal laws require.

There is no instance in which I'll have to use algebra in real life, or trigonometry, or calculus.
    Even accountants use basic math, but rarely do they use calculus or trigonometry

Bullish says2013-08-31T18:18:57.990
It looks like you have to learn some English too, lol.