• Many people think of homework and school as boring.

I am in middle school almost in high school and right now in all my classes at least 45% of the students are failing. This is because they think of school as boring. In my opinion if schools in the U.S assigned little homework, I think students would actually make an effort to do better in school. I also think that if there were more activities in class over what the students are learning it would help their grade.

• Does it really aid your learning?

I know many people who do homework lazily, badly or not at all and they are frequently told that they will fail unless they use the opportunity to go over work done in class or cover additional material. But every time they go to an exam, it is seen that this is not the case. They are all at least on their target grade, many are above. Yet people seem to overlook this. For a homework assignment, a friend of mine got a D and thus was predicted to get a D. She got an A*. People say that homework helps your learning but by personal experience, I have seen that this isn't the case.

• Longer school days, no homework

Kids should have a life outside of school. Some that are in sports come home from school then rush to games or practices, then come home and do their homework at night. Which means they don't get enough sleep and that makes them sleepy in class. Then they can't concentrate well enough to get their work done. Home should be a stress free place to come to. I think it would help grades and help kids understand what they are learning better.

• Homework doesn't improve learning

Teachers are given a certain amount of time to teach their subject. If they are unable to teach it in the time given to them, they shouldn't be taking away our personal time because they aren't effective. Most students don't need homework to understand a concept, those that do might be assigned more to do but for most, it doesn't help.

• Those who will learn, will learn.

Homework has just become a way to acclimatize people to a working-market where a large number are required to take work home with themselves and do it unpaid. That is ll that it is.
    Those who want to learn about something, those who want to understand it, will be the same ones asking questions in classes and looking up the information themselves on their own time. It will not matter if homework is assigned or not, if there is passion for a subject the student will want to learn.
    All homework does is to make busy work and acclimatize students to working longer hours outside of where they are supposed to be learning or working.

Posted by: a.m
  • The theory "Practice makes perfect" fails in comperison to the "10,000 hour rule"

The main motivation behind homework- or at least what I have come to understand- is that "practice makes perfect". The "10,000 hour rule" is a concept that after 10,000 hours you have masted a concept or skill. Homework contributes to this "10,000 hours" as practice makes perfect; practice gives to the 10,000 hour rule. However, the 10,000 hour rule comes with the clause of "One only needs 10,000 hours, the 11,000th hour gives no advantage and is comparatively useless" meaning adequate study in school "10,000 hours" will not be helped by extra practice outside of school "the 11,000th hour" if you will.

• No homework!

Yes I think the Teachers are just sending work home to be just doing it, but if the child is having difficulty then I can see them having homework.

• Let the kids be kids!

OK. Projects and studying for tests and stuff I understand, but seriously making kids stress over pretty much nothing is stupid. It causes stress to the brain, which could cause some (if not, most) to break down and cry screaming, "I can't do it! I'm going to fail school!" Especially when they get overloaded on homework. For example (I'm going to use a real-life example that happened to me in Grade 7) you have your Science Fair project. You know that you have to get that done and that it's due in about two weeks! But, you also have the spelling words to translate and put into sentences, the complicated algebra problems your math teacher wants you to complete, and the bar graph your geography teacher wants you to finish... oh my god! There are only so many hours in one day! So you get all caught up in your homework that on the day before you're pulling and all-nighter, and nobody wants to do any of those! This is only one of the examples that I have to prove that homework is meaningless baloney.

• Homework, means kids less time to develop important life skills.

The average child spends 7 hours a day in school, 10 hours sleeping and another 4 hours doing life tasks such as eating, showing, traveling, dressing etc.

That just leaves 3 hours per day to fit in homework, social interaction, rest and relaxation, organized sport, exersize, chores, playing, reading, arts and crafts etc.

To have a child spend such a percentage of their day doing homework is ignoring the many other important life skills that kids need to develop.

• What homework?

With a study hall used wisely, you should never get homework. I never got homework all last year except for stupid time-consuming assignments. Almost all involving coloring/drawing. Do we really need colored pencils by the time we're in High School?

• Situation at Home

Teachers do not know the student’s situation. The financial or emotional place of a person is not taken into mind. Teachers do not assign different homework based on the resources or conditions that a student has at home. For example, a student might have a harder time doing it than another because he/she does not have money for supplies.

• It really helps!

Duke University researchers have reviewed more than 60 research studies on homework between 1987 and 2003 and concluded that homework does have a positive effect on student achievement. It also helps with time management and tends to improve the relationship between child and parent. Without homework, we would not be able to understand our lessons more.

• College applications

Many A students may not need homework but what about college applications they are handy there since many good colleges are trying to decide between two students and will look at the homework load. Colleges have huge workloads to see if the student is able to handle they may look at homework

• Homework isn't always neccessary, but we should have it.

Homework is good because it gives children practice on the subject. Kids can be lazy. If they aren't doing their homework, they most likely aren't looking and reviewing notes, either. If all kids had the drive or passion for school and learning as they should, then they would pay attention, take notes, and review the notes, but that isn't likely, so we are stuck with giving out homework. The overwhelming amounts of homework isn't neccessary though.

• It

needs more "reform" than "complete abolishment". Homework has value, but it is often abused and not well implemented by teachers. If a teacher is going to assign something, it should be something meaningful that will help students in their understanding. Teachers shouldn't just throw out homework that serves no real point and is just graded on completion.

• You're completely ignorant if you say yes.

No, teachers are not just giving children homework, just to give them worthless things to do or "busy work". (Well at least, most teachers aren't!) Homework is great practice for both the children who understand and the ones who don't quite get it. It also helps kids learn good study skills.
    I am 17 years old and I am a senior in high school with a 3.5 GPA and yes I hate homework!! But that does not mean that I don't believe it helps. I know for a fact it does.

• No!

anyone who thinks it should is probably just lazy. Besides, homework is the easiest and best ways for students to learn the material in the courses they are being taught. Practice makes Perfect.

• This is preposterous.

Kids need some kind of a review outside class. Not to mention that homework helps develop problem solving skills as well as time management.

• No, homework should not be done away with, it’s crucial in fully understanding and learning a subject.

Most students feel as though homework is some sort of punishment, however in reality it's just the opposite. It's an opportunity to go over anything that may have seemed unclear in class or a chance to practice exercises that enable you to better understand the information. In grade school I could understand not overloading a first grader with four hours of homework, however for a college student and possibly even for some high school classes it's extremely important to study and devote time outside of class to learning the information.

• NO, homework should not be done away with, its crucial in fully understanding and learning a subject.