• Yes homework should be optional

March 22
    In his March 20 Education column, “A parental benefit comes with homework for elementary school students,” Jay Mathews asserted that homework provides parents with insights into what their children are learning. Looking through the folders that students bring home in their backpacks would yield similar benefits. We can ask them what they are learning in school or, even better, ask them to show us what they are learning.

Mr. Mathews cited research that suggests that homework has no effect on the academic achievement of elementary school students. No subsequent study has significantly challenged those findings. Rather, some evidence suggests that elementary students fare better in the absence of homework [“A school banned homework. Its students thrived,” Metro, March 6]. In the absence of supportive research, subjecting students to homework would indeed make them “guinea pig[s] for a change that has yet to prove itself.”

Occasional meaningful assignments, such as choice book reports or student-directed science projects, are worthwhile, but nightly homework, if given at all, should be optional for elementary students. Children shouldn’t be shamed or penalized for choosing independent reading or even time with friends or family over compulsory worksheets.

• Homework is bad!

Homework keeps us away from our family. It starts in about 4th grade, (at least for some of us) and keeps on growing until collage. After that, we get jobs, get married, and we don´t see our family for a long time. This all happens because of homework. I want homework to be extra credit, or even optional.

• Homework is stopping out side activities

Kids at my school do sports for the school and most I know don't get their homework done and have lunch detention. I do baseball and I can't get all my homework done. For people who say home work should not be optional I under stand that kids need to learn but they should only do homework on subjects that they need help with so they can eat, relax, hang out with friends, or get the sleep they need.

• Homework is actually important...

In my opinion, homework should only be optional if it is just extra review. Without homework, i would be failing most of my classes because of lack of understanding about the subject matter. Im 15, and as you get older, you need to put more work into school. It as easy as it seems now, but homework, no matter how much stress it puts on you... Is very important towards understanding what you are being tought.

• No ONE LIKES HOMEWORK

O o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o

• Johannes' state ment

Im a kid only 11 and i think you should not be able to choose if you want homework or not to be honest alot of kids in my class do there homework so i dont see the reason to make it an option and you will have less education -johannes

• To much stress

Ok, sometimes you have lots of chores to do, and not enough time to do your homework! So you shouldn't have to be stressed knowing that your homework is due the next day, in that case, just don't do it. That doesn't mean kids will NEVER have to do homework, it means, if they can't do it, they don't have to.

• Homework is important.

Homework is the thing that can boost your child's accuracy on reading, math, writing, science, vocabulary, and a lot of other things. If you want some child to get into the best schools, the more practice the better. I know that kids don't like homework, but you can't just always listen to the kid.

• No way in heck.

Homework is one thing that teachers can use to make sure you understand things once you're outside of the classroom. Wouldn't you have more stress from working at McDonald's? Really, can't you see that it helps you? I'm very knowledgable in most subjects, and no matter how many times I think that homework might be bad, I remember that I want to go to William & Mary.

• No way in heck.

The jobs would go down the drain for many people, and only the smart people would get good jobs. Your community would fall into ruins, and your home would end up gone, food would be scarce, and smart people would be paid so much more than most people. Then you would just have the slums and rich pompous fools.