Should homosexual teachers reveal their sexuality to their pupils?

• YES! BE OPEN AND FREE!

Students who are scared to admit their true sexual orientation could feel better knowing that someone they look up to has admitted the truth. It creates an open, accepting enviorment that helps students realize and grow into their own personality. Teachers that are open don't have to supress they're sexual orientation and can freely and openly teach. You can't force a student to keep quiet about they're sexual orientation, so teachers should not be forced to keep they're sexuality a secret. Being open and honest creates a good policy to stem from and paves the road for students who want to do the same.

• The question is confusing people...

I think many people are perhaps confusing the point of this question. My answer to the above question is no - there is no 'should' about it; a teacher's private life is private and it should remain so if a teacher wishes it to be.

However, I feel the question is truly asking whether or not it is OK for teachers to reveal their sexuality to pupils, in which case I would say yes. I agree with the above arguments that it can provide a great line of support to LGBT students.

• Gay teachers should reveal

Today's students are smarter than you think, they respect open and honest people. My boys had several gay teachers whom they respected and liked because the were cool. They related to their gay teacher because of the trust and honesty. My boys are straight and feel that people should be free to be themselves.

• If they want to

I can definitely see choosing not to reveal this kind of thing, if the teacher just doesn't want to get into it with the students or have ignorant parents beating their door down later on. But no one should be able to say that ANYONE isn't allowed to talk about who they love with someone else, even kids. If there were more openly gay teachers, frankly, maybe there would be fewer homophobic jerks.

• As a teacher I have become a role model

When working with students over the age of 16 who are struggling with their sexuality, I have been in a position to be a role model which I believe has offered them a positive perspective on their choice to decision to be open and honest, and overall happy as an individual. This in turn has a bearing on their education, as their major concern no longer becomes an issue and they can concentrate on their studies.

• The question is confusing people...

• Homosexual teachers should not reveal their sexuality.

Thinking that just because a teacher is homosexual means that they have to tell others is kind of ridiculous. You don't see straight people revealing their sexuality do you? That's because a persons sexual preferences should not be a problem for other people. A persons preferences towards a certain sex does not define a person and we should not think that it does.

• A teacher's sex life is none of his students' business.

Why would this even be necessary? It is none of any students' business what happens in a teacher's life outside of the classroom. It is not part of their job to even discuss their own personal lives with students. It should make no difference whatsoever to the way a student is educated.

• How is this a debate?

I think this question stems from homophobia. A teachers sexuality is irrelevant to their performance and bringing up sexuality is unprofessional because it is off topic and a waste of time.

• Some Things can Be Left Unsaid

No, homosexual teachers should not reveal their sexuality to their pupils. Our children are in school to get an education. The curriculum does not include knowing or discussing a teacher’s sexual orientation. This has no place in the schoolroom and serves no purpose. A teacher’s sexual orientation is a private and personal matter that should not be addressed in a classroom. As students reach their teens, there is a strong chance that having a teacher reveal his homosexuality could backfire, causing emotional distress to the teacher and possibly ending his or her career.

• The question should be "should they have to" ...

I think qualifying this question as "should they reveal" is misleading. The sexuality of teachers should not have any impact on the ability to do their jobs, regardless of whether they are homosexual or heterosexual. Teachers should only have to be focused on performing their job to the best o their abilities, just like any other job would do, and sexual preference has no bearing on that.

• Private Lives are No One's Business

Forcing a teacher to reveal aspects of their personal lives would be akin to asking someone why they worship Jesus. Someone's personal life is no one's business, even in a public school setting. As long as teachers don't break the law or district guidelines, teachers shouldn't be forced to reveal their sexual preferences to students whatsoever.