Should homosexuality be taught in sex education classes?

• Yes it should be.

Homosexuality should not be hidden, more and more people are coming out in Secondary school, Children there are more educated because they have things like, Stonewall coming to their schools to educate them. Why should Primary schools not educate their children about sex education? Secondary schools are just picking up from were they have failed. EQUALITY & DIVERSITY are needed in this country.

• We can't avoid it

Whether we like it or not, homosexuality will be talked about in the schools. So it would be better if students knew the consequences of 'coming out the closet' in a society such as this one where the practice is still not fully accepted. It would also help the non homosexual students (if done right) to see how such persons feel when they are picked on for the sexual preference. So to be on the safe side just teach it in a class about life and don't condemn or judge.

• It's Sex Ed, isn't it?

We need to teach our children that being homosexual is not wrong and is not a choice, but genetic. The increase of awareness of homosexuality would most likely decrease the confusion or fear of it, and gay people could actually be moresocially accepted. Too many homosexuals deal with bullying and suicide, and no one should ever have to go through this becausw of their sexual preference.

• I prefer to be teaching my children about sex though, not the school

I personally don't feel comfortable with a teacher instructing my children on sex ed. My sex ed involved a condom, a banana and diagrams. As a parent I will be educating my child on these things because I feel it's my job as a parent.
    As for the homosexual part, I don't care if my kids are Lesbian, gay, bi or transgender, those are my children, I made them (with help of course) but I want them to be happy in life. But they need to be safe too, I can teach my children to make a dam and such.
    I do understand that there are parents out there who don't educate their children on these things or abuse their children, so I understand that for some children this is the only place they will learn it.

• I believe the LGBT community should be taught sex ed

I support the LGBT community because i have three cousins that are lesbians and a aunt that is trans and what if they were in school and they asked a question and they got dirty looks and were told to get out of the class like thats not right at all they are humans they need to be treated with respect and need to be equal to every single human.

• For the safety of our children

Many people say well why teach it to straight children well heres what i say SAFETY it is the most important thing that should a person wish to partake in homosexual sex it should be safe they should know how to do it in a manner which won't harm them just like the heterosexual sexual community know how to do.

• All Sex Should Be Safe Sex

No matter your belief system, it should be every parent's desire to give their child the best education they can get. Though there may be few children in the elementary education system who identify as gay at such a young age, we have to take into account the fact that as they develop and begin to explore their own sexuality, there is a chance they may experiment with homosexuality, even if that's not what their parents believe in. Failing to educate our children on how to have safe sex now, homosexual or not, is failing to promote their healthy sex life in the future. If they are not taught these things at school, and their parents are not willing to discuss it with them at home, our children will be left in the dark on how to have safe sex. In addition, giving such education is not "encouraging homosexuality." People will like, love and want to have sex with who they are attracted to. At that age, all children will most likely be grossed out by any sex at all, whether it's straight, gay, or lesbian. Ignoring the fact that homosexuality exists will not make it go away. Accept that it is a possibility, and ask yourself, "Is homophobia worth the risk of your child contracting an STI?"

• Homosexuality should be taught in sex education

A lot of people think that in gay relationships people can't get pregnant so they don't need protection but some don't think about STDs that can be spread. Teaching about it in sex education will keep people safer. Also teaching these things at a young age can make students more accepting. People need to realize that there are more than just straight people

• Yes of course it should

It should be aloud to teach lgbt teenagers what to do. Sure they can just look it up but school should teach kids about lgbt and that it isn't wrong and its completely ok instead of just leaving teens hanging like "um what is it I'm supposed to do." So yes it should be.

• Of course it should.

As a 12th grade lesbian, I can personally say that not having homosexuality included in the curriculum left me with more questions than answers. The point of sex education is to provide education on sex. After completing health class, I still had no idea how to keep myself safe. I had to pretty much ask the internet, and we all know how reliable that can be.
    Many schools, including mine, like to pretend that either LGBT students don't exist, or homosexuality itself doesn't. No matter where you stand on the "is it moral?" debate, you can't deny the fact that there are LGBT students. Teaching only about heterosexual sex also makes us feel isolated and rejected because we feel that the schools don't feel that we're important enough to even mention.
    So yea, having homosexuality be included in sex ed classes would be nice, thank you.

• Homosexuality should be taught with proper warnings and weight.

Certain types of homosexual sex such as anal sex can be taught under the conditions that 1) Anal sex can led to deleterious effects such as hemorrhoids, tearing of the anal tissue, unwanted defecation during sex 2) Anal sex isn't a genital and therefore not evolutionary favorable to sexual stimulation of any kind 3) Isn't physically pleasurable in the same sense that vaginal sex is 4) Requires a great deal of preparation by the receptive partner in order to avoid very unhygienic sex. Lastly Homosexual individuals make up a great minority of the population. The majority of the classroom will be heterosexual and therefore homosexual sexual education should not be given equal weight.

• I don’t think that homosexuality should be taught in sex education classes.

I don’t think that homosexuality should be taught in sex
    education classes. I don’t think that it
    is appropriate to teach homosexuality in sex education classes. Sex education classed should teach the basics
    in order to prepare kids for a healthy sex life. Any school that teaches homosexuality would
    be condoning it.

• Homosexuality can confuse some students

No, I do not believe that homosexuality should be taught in sex education classes in detail. It could be touched upon because it is a part of today's world, but it should not talked about in dept. If a student wants to know more then it may be discussed in another session and it should also be at the discretion of the parents.

• It's not healthy

I don't see homosexual activity or orientation to be healthy or wholesome. The sexual culture in gay communities tend to focus less on STDs, consent, and relationships than straight communities, leading to a variety of affects for those who engage in such activities and societies that encourage those activities. Teaching homosexuality to children encourages less healthy sexual behaviors and makes many people such as parents feel uncomfortable as well.

• Don't teach it to straight students. I agree with separating sex education classes

Make sex ed classes separate. Allow gay students to take a class focused on gay sex ed and straight students to take a class focused on straight sex ed. It will be easier for closeted kid to come out this way and it will help "normalize" sexuality. Sort of like being interested in taking chemistry rather than biology for your science elective. Bi students could take both. You could mention the homosexuality in straight sex ed, but keep the content superficial and focus on safe heterosexual sex.

• Teaching Homosexuality to predominantly Heterosexual students is Nonsensical

Most people let alone students are heterosexual. Only 1.8% of men are homosexual! 1.8 percent!!! That's nearly 1 in 100 students! So why would you teach homosexual sex to heterosexual students - do we wish to ENCOURAGE students to try homosexual relations? Does anyone in their right mind think that is an appropriate thing to do? Disclaimer: I have zero problem with homosexuality. I accept that people are born heterosexual, homosexual, or bisexual and I would never think of anyone as lesser or greater because of their sexual orientation. The fact of the matter is - there are downsides to homosexual relations: biology being one of them. If there are homosexual students then they should be given the right to a seminar in gay sex ed. You can't say "homosexuals" were born differently to "heterosexuals" and then simultaneously argue that homosexuals and heterosexuals are the same when it comes to sex education. Educators need to create an environment in schools where feeling ashamed of going to a gay sex ed class for gay students only doesn't result in bullying or shaming.

• I'm Gay and Wary about Gay Sex Ed as part of the curriculum

I think gay sex should be taught to those who want to learn about it - gay or LGBT students. Students who want to learn gay sex education should be able to take a class without straight students in the classroom. In this way the school can simultaneously publicly support the sexuality of their students and avoid enforcing political views on other students. Some of the comments here are correct - anal can be very painful especially in the beginning. Most gay men don't take part in anal because it's so painful. So teaching straight boys that anal sex is basically the same as straight sex could be a bad idea. I think we need to accept the fact that straight sex and gay sex are really different - Trust me I've done both and they are completely different physically and mentally.

• Teach it with exceptions

The LGBT community is a very small percentage of the U. S. Population. Teaching homosexuality as if it is "normal" seems entirely unreasonable. Why teach homosexual sex to a class of entirely heterosexual kids just because the syllabus requires it? Wouldn't that be encouraging students to engage in homosexual sex? Isn't anal penetration something people should avoid with the exception of circumstance where the person is a homosexual male?

Wouldn't it be more reasonable to separate sex ed into heterosexual sex education and homosexual sex education? Students can then choose which class they would rather go to (or they can go to both)! Also, most homosexual acts aren't really the same as heterosexual sex. As I said above, homosexual sex isn't reproductive, certain acts like anal sex can be really harmful over time (just being honest!).