• With opt out

Herd immunity only protects if most of the herd is protected. Individuals should still have the right to opt out due to whatever reason they see fit. Condom use is not 100% effective against HPV, and unless a condom/barrier is used in all sex acts, people can become infected with HPV in their throat, and other areas not quite polite to point out. Some protection from the two most common cancer causing strains 16 and 18 if the individual is coerced/ raped, or has the misfortune to have a monogamous relationship with an individual already infected by these two strains. It should be mandatory for both sexes, but have the same exclusion rights seen with other vaccines. Annual physicals and gynecological exams should still be encouraged since there are other strains that produce cancer.

• Yes, but for school.

Vaccines, such as HPV, should remain mandatory for schools. Schools place a large amount of people into a confined space, which increases the chances of spreading disease. Maybe not HPV as much, but getting vaccines is always a good idea to build immunity to diseases so that your body can fight them off.

• People shouldn't be forced unless there is legitimate cause.

As far as I'm concerned, the reasoning to force the vaccine upon people has not been reasonably established yet. There are risk factors associated with the vaccine, the vaccine does not protect against all types of the disease, and cervical cancer is not always caused by the disease.

I suppose my point is that it's not even close to absolute protection against something that is reasonably containable if one takes precautions even without the vaccine.

Force should be saved for those things that can spread like wildfire and devastate humanity on large scales. So, ultimately, there is just cause to make vaccination against things like typhoid and smallpox mandatory, but the legitimacy of forcing people to take this particular vaccine is tenuous at best.

• No, no one should be forced to receive a vaccine including the HPV vaccine.

I do not believe anybody should be forced to receive a vaccine against their will. I personally do believe that the HPV vaccine is valuable for all women. I was too old to receive the HPV vaccine when it came out, and unfortunately many of the women in my age group do have HPV because we were never vaccinated. This has led to early stage cancerous cells in some of my friends' cervices. I believe that teens and their parents should be well educated about the pros and cons of vaccine and be allowed to make the decision for themselves. This is not a disease that is spread through casual contact, therefore it would not reach epidemic proportions. Therefore, people should be able to make a fully informed decision.

• Everyone has the right to choose what affects their body.

However, everyone needs to be fully informed of the benefits and risks of any vaccine, and all should be encouraged to receive the vaccine. I think the HPV vaccine can be very beneficial to our society, but no one should be forced to receive it. In addition to teaching all about the benefits of the vaccine, safe sex practices should be taught in all schools to minimize the spread of the disease.