Should human organs be sold on the market like a slab of meat?

• OK now you're talking my language, now you're talking my language..

The fact that people say that the murder rate would rise is hilarious & quite ridiculous. People kill for a numerous amount of reasons & im pretty sure that a serial killer could not show up to a pawn shop with a bunch of human organs and cash out. Also if human organs were to be sold it would probably work best if the organ selling were handled by a panel of doctors, who then could determine which hospital needs what organs. With incentives being given i'm sure that the number of people receiving organ transplants would increase. Notice i did not use the word "donation" because that is not the correct term for it. It would indeed be a sale that allowed another individual in need to acquire that in which they are in dire need of. If organ selling were to become legal it would be run just as any other organization selling a high in demand product. Apples iphone series for example.

• Definitely yes! Free market will solve all the problems.

Just like cars and cloths, human organs are a valuable commodity. Therefore there should be no restrictions to trade them. Of course if you want to donate yours you can. Many people who are in need of an organ and can afford them are now dying because they are not allowed to buy them. Also there are people like me who do not want to "donate" their organ because they simply don't get a penny for it. If the ban on organs was lifted all of this will be solved. Private companies would dish out organ contracts and compete for the best pricing. Organs would be valuated on quality and made sure it comes to the right people via auctions. In the current situation it is like in the old communist countries where all people have to wait in line for years to get a car. Many people who are in need of an organ have no much time left, and an increase in supply would save a lot of them. Also, those who do more important jobs and therefore earn them more can afford better organs. On the other side, people who die early can have their organs sold to help their family. Selling organs can also help repay debt. If someone can not pay their mortgage the authorities can now make you sell an kidney instead what really helps the stability of the economy and help lower interest rates. The most common argument against it is that people would kill each other for organs, but this only happens if the organ trade is illegal and dark in the first place. An organ transplant is a pretty big thing and there can be a simple law banning the use of organs of unknown origin.
    In an modern time like this where organs can save peoples lives there is really no reason to ban the organ market. There are no reasons why it would not work and everyone could profit from it!

• $ Incentives will obliterate demand

More people will want to donate if there is the potential to make money from it, so the current organ shortage will disappear, saving countless lives. Beyond morals, there is currently no incentive to donate. Take into consideration as well that our current system isn't exactly fair either. Currently, very little stock is put on wait time. Is that right?

• It'll definitely work.

Why not privatize organs? The problem with getting an organ is that not many people are willing to sign up and donate, but if you could be paid for your organ before or after death then pretty much everyone would sign up to be a donor. Because of the massive amounts of people signing up, there would be a huge supply and the price of a life saving organ could be very affordable.

• Sounds bad when you put it like that, but yeah

If I'm willing to give up my left kidney if I can realize a profit from it, but I won't give it up if I can't, then why shouldn't I be able to sell it? If I do, I make probably a reasonable profit, which is what I want, and someone gets a kidney, which is what they want. Everybody wins.

• Yes, even though it sounds terrible, often it's the only incentive for giving up an organ.

This is a delicate subject, but the sad facts are that most people are unwilling to just donate an organ out of the goodness of their heart. If paying potential donors is an incentive to generate more donors, then why not? Even though it may be distasteful, if it gets the job done, then lets go for it.

Posted by: NettN355
  • I think it is okay to sell human organs, as long the donor person gave permission for their organ(s) to be sold.

Human organs should be able to be sold because it would be easier for people looking for donors to get whatever organ they need - as long as the person has given permission for their organ to be sold (in a place like a butcher shop for example). If you think about it, it's the same as going to a sperm bank to have a baby. It's also the same as when you give blood without knowing where it ends up. This is a good way of saving people from dying because they can't get organ transplants. If it's done properly it would be a success.

Posted by: LyleM0n
  • I oppose human organs being sold on the market as I believe it is unethical.

The practice of selling human organs is sketchy and teeters on the edge of ethics. I believe human organs are helpful and when donated through an act of charity, using them is acceptable. However I don't believe in turning human organs into a commodity to be sold on the free market as though they were food items. Doing so is unethical and could lead to further abuses of the organ market.

Posted by: gouharui
  • Its a valuable commodity, so yes.

An organ obtained in a regulated fashion should be marketable. Donor waiting times are not efficient, and patients want the choice to live as opposed to not. A market while expensive is optional, for a patient in a dire strait. The economics can work, and if regulated, can avoid unnecessary liver killings.

Posted by: Bear
  • I do not think human organs should be sold on the market like a slab of meat, because it may result in more crime.

I do not think human organs should be sold on the market. If this happened, I feel like people would be killing other people for their organs to sell. It would also be hard for those less fortunate to get an organ they need, because those with more money would be able to afford them, while others would not.

Posted by: FemaleTyron73
  • I do not believe that we should create a market for human organs, as it may literally put a price on life.

I do not believe that human organs should be sold on the market like a slab of meat. Legalizing the sale of organs would put a price on people's lives in two different ways. For one, it would encourage illegal organ harvesting by giving people a more accessible market for their stolen organs. Two, it would privatize organ donations and prevent terminally ill people from getting organs based on need, giving unfair preferential treatment to those that can afford to buy outside the system.

Posted by: ToughEfrain26
  • No, I disagree that human organs should be sold on the market like a slab of meat, because it is a disgusting concept that makes humans seem both reckless and careless, when it comes to others.

No, I disagree that human organs should be sold on the market like a slab of meat, because it is a disgusting concept that makes humans seem both reckless and careless, when it comes to others. Selling a human's organs like a piece of meat makes it seem like fellow humans have no cares or concerns about their fellow man. It seems greedy, gross and not what a respectful human being should be participating in. Donating organs is a wonderful thing, because it saves lives and it is free, just and good thing to do. Selling them, however, seems mean, heartless and, overall, just wrong. No one should profit from a person's organs, because it is a sleazy way to make money.

Posted by: I33Iess
  • Human organs should not be sold on the market, because too many money hungry people would try to do this, without understanding the circumstances.

Sadly, there are people out there that will do almost anything for money. Although allowing people to sell human organs would create a larger availability of organs, there just would be too many people who would take advantage of this. They would either try to sell their own, without taking to heart the true consequences. Worse yet, there would also be others who would turn to stealing organs to sell.

Posted by: eyeslikethat
  • No, human organs should not be sold on the market, it would cause a demand for human organs that could not be filled without illegal harvesting or cloning.

There is already a larger demand for free human organs through the donor program than there is people getting hurt or dying. If there is a price tag put on human organs the rate of illegal harvesting of organs will only go up as there is more of a profit in it.

Posted by: H_Baird
  • This would continue to broaden the socio-economic gap in health care.

There are already many issues with the current health care system in the United States, as well as many other countries. If organs were sold on the market, only those who could afford such organs would be able to have transplants and required surgeries. Those who could not afford them would have to suffer and possibly die, rather than have a fair chance at life.

Posted by: MyrBad
  • humans are horrible

disgusting. people wont even give up their organs to save anothers life, they could be on their deathbed and you have what they need, but you say, no, not unless you pay me a large amount of money and im greeding and apparently too good to share, like a small rotten spoiled child.

• It would hurt the integrity of the purpose.

This could cause all kinds of issues from theft to murder. There would definitely be inequality of access, and wealth would have the power to determine life or death. People who take advantage, or buy organs frivolously, would be responsible for a less wealthy person's death. It would be immoral.

Posted by: MohaI0v35
  • I do not think a human should sell their organs

Even though you make money off of it still doesn't seem right you should find a much easier way to do with your organs then sell it. Humans should know better to do with their body and their body parts not the world it's not their decision to make it's the person that is doing it and that is final!

• Human organs should not be sold on the market like a slab of meat.

I will grant you that the market for human organs would be outrageously profitable. The demand already greatly outweighs the supply of useful organs. However, we are a civil nation that allows every individual the equal right to health care with or without the ability to pay. If human organs were to be sold on the market like a slab of meat the only ones who would be able to receive them would be the rich. There would no longer be equality in the right to medical care. Another possibility, if you could sell human organs on the open market, would be murder for organs. There is always the individual out there who wants to get rich quick off the sweat of others. There is no doubt in my mind that there would be some people who would murder just to make a quick dollar of somebody's organs.

Posted by: w00tboycomic